“Bad service, overcooked steak and worst salad ever”

[m]eatery bar + restaurant
Ranked #12 of 3,648 Restaurants in Hamburg
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The [m]eatery in Hamburg's new town offers a sophisticated ambiance, combined with hearty food and great service. Only the finest quality and freshest ingredients are served in the [m]eatery. Delicious starters, sensational steaks, unique burgers- and tartar specialities, and a choice of drinks that completes the offer. Argentinian Black Angus, original American beef, and meat seasoned with Husumer willow bark, made with traditional craftsmanship, are all options you could choose to indulge in. A speciality which is really representative of the [m]eatery, is the tartar, which is always served fresh á la minute from the very best and most expensive cuts of meat. The menu also offers monkfish cutlet served with sweetheart cabbage, and Sardinian Gnocchi in Noilly Prat Sauce, New York Cheesecake - deliciously creamy cheesecake covered in white chocolate and suitable for vegetarians. In addition to the menu, the old glass divides in the restaurant offer an additional visual attraction of their own. Within the individual booths, the expensive Husumer cuts of meat are put before the eyes of the guests after three to four weeks of coming to maturity.
Berlin, Germany
“Bad service, overcooked steak and worst salad ever”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Been to the Meatery with a friend. She's been sitting in the aisle, and the service did not really bother, she's got constantly pushed around.
My steak's been overcooked: I've ordered it medium-rare, but it came well done which is for a steak restaurant a bit of a disaster.
The chopped salad is something I've never seen before, some randomly leaves thrown together, topped with the most boring dressing dollop ever. Any hobby chef would do it better.
The waiter was not able to recommend a proper marinade, the whole cooking scene is based on the idea of giving the guest a big choice, but ultimately you're lost in space - and the taste is not worth it. It's more of a very normal, but overpriced steak place.

It's nothing more than an average restaurant in a hotel.
Not sure what the hype is all about.
On another note: I hate being forced to cross the entire hotel lobby to use the bathrooms downstairs which are open to the public. There should be some decent loos for restaurant guests only. Very inconvenient.
Anyhow - I would not go back. Been quite disappointed.
Especially by the service not being overly impressed with handling my steak not being cooked the right way. I felt like being a nuisance, though it's been clearly their mistake.
Between medium-rare and well done - is a very harsh line.
BTW my friend's steak came with a chunky sinew.

• Visited March 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
“Nice food but not a good experience”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I'm really sorry that I went to the hotel restaurant at Side Hotel in Hamburg. (m)eatery have received very nice recommendations from other travelers as well as personal friends. However my experience was very poor!

If all you want is a nice cooked steak you might not want to read any more of this review. I will not be disappointed.

However, if you are interested in a dining experience worthy of the (high) prices charged at (m)eatery I recommend you look for another place to spend you time and money.

My overall impression is that the service staff is un(der)educated or very poorly led. I don´t really mind asking for pepper when they put two salts on the table but I find it awkward to tell the waiter that a sirloin does not come on a bone and that my NY-strip is unlikely to have no fat on it at all.
Having said that I also don't mind to be told that my booking cannot be any later than 17.30 due to 'full house in the restaurant' - but when I'm asked to go into the bar and wait from 17.30 until 18.00 because they did not know what table to seat me at I would at least expect some sort of explanation for this controversy.

I was happy the food was served so fast that I could not even finish my less-than-full draft beer. That way I had time to see other places in Hamburg where guests are more than cash cows.

• Visited October 2013
Oslo, Norway
“Great breakfast!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great breakfast , both continental and English.
Open until 2 in the day on saturday and sunday. Very quick and pleasant staff

Visited October 2013
Valby, Denmark
“No more than decent food - not worth the money”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The meatery has a great selection of cocktails and the staff is quite attentive and service minded.

That being said, the steak (and we're talking about a steak restaurant here) was a big disappointment - not very tender and didn't have a lot of taste. And to be honest it just disappoints me to pay 60 EURO for a steak and then being charged another 4 EURO for an extra serving of bernaise - that would in my world be served for free as a service to (well) paying customers.

We had our starters before the wine had been served and the waiter forgot about a coffee order after our meal but all in all they left a good inpression after all.

The interior of the restaurant still puzzles me! Why would anybody choose a lime green theme for a steak house - it has more of an "organic rawe food restaurant" feel to it and is definitely not a pleasure to look at. We also ate breakfast in the restaurant and trust me, it does not look better in daylight!

The brunch buffet is decent but not worth the 24 EURO either - I would at anytime recommend to look for a local place where you'll get something almost as good for less than one third of the price.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank MartinWM
Switzerland
“Totally overrated”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just been to the Meatery and were totally disappointed. While the athmosphere is rather stylish, the food just totally lacks the perfection you would expect for the prices charged. The meat was not cooked to perfection and not as tender as you might hope for. The wine list is more or less basic, no real specialities to be found. All in all a place you might visit once but not worth coming back.

• Visited September 2013