“Strangely threatening”
Review of Neues Palais

Neues Palais
Ranked #6 of 94 things to do in Potsdam
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Well worth visiting, but I wonder if anyone else thought it felt a bit threatening. I walked through the park from Sans Souci, and when I emerged from the trees I was suddenly confronted by this enormous, dark, brooding structure seemingly rising out of a flat, featureless plain in the middle of nowhere. As I walked towards it, I felt a bit like Frodo approaching Minas Morgul. Incidentally the walk from Sans Souci takes about 20-30 minutes, and the place where you have to get your ticket is a further 5 minutes walk away from the palace, so if you are not very fit and/or don't want to visit any of the other attractions on the way, take the bus as others have advised.

All reviews
"timed tickets"
"time slot"
"photo permit"

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have a feeling that most leave this palace to last, seeing as it's on the far side of the park. That might be a mistake since it is the more recent palace occupied by the Kaiser and his family and has many rooms to explore. You'll do a self-guided audio tour here, and it can take about two hours on two floors.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Out of all the palaces/buildings I visited at Sanssouci Park, this was my favorite. The palace was worth the visit, especially the section that tells the story "The Fashion Monkey" (a story about a superficial nobile man).

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I got there at 5:20 PM. I was aware that they closed at 6PM so I figured I would have 40 minutes. Alas it was not meant to be, Baldrick.

- Was told from the get go that I would have to leave at ten to six.

- One of the staff was closing doors as I went along. It rather takes the fun out of the fast visit.

- Another of the staff bellowed loudly when I asked a question "I DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH". Aye Aye sir, clearly understood.

I was out of quarter to six and three minutes later, the hard working staff were all exiting through the front entrance like Fred Flintstone at the end of his day.

Perhaps if they do not close at 6, they should advertise it?

2  Thank klear