“reasonable, good”

Ranked #34 of 86 Hotels in Bremen
Moscow, Russia
“reasonable, good”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

the hotel staff managed to let me in late at night using some coded box with the key which was really valuable. the breakfast was very good although the breakfast hall on eekends is usually full of people (good breakfast, convenient hall, most probably the popular hotel). the room is reasonably convenient, the sound isolation from the railway station is ok but the air conditioning is, hmm, not as wild as could be. the internet access from a room may be a little overpriced (i don't know if the access from a PC at the reception is free but it may be).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank radio303

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Tonsberg, Norway
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I agree with most of the positive reviews written here, but in my opinion there are some "but's". I booked through Expedia, and the first big "but" is that I was charged 40 Euro more at departure than stated in the Expedia booking. The invoice just had higher rates for the room, no fees or extras specified. Unfortunally I didn't notice until I had left, so...my loss. You better check the invoice better than I did, that's for sure.

The hotel is nice, the location is convenient at the room (a premium) was great. The balcony was a big plus, for sure. It had seating for two and a perfect place for a cold beer on a warm evening. And right next to the reception, there is a small lounge/bar where you can get a beer. BUT - the beer wasn't exaxtly cold. In fact it wasn't even close to cold, so my advise would be to get my beer elsewhere. Minibar in room, convenient to keep your bottles cold.
The premium room was spacious and very nice, and so was the bathroom. Very clean and tidy, both in public areas and the room. A comfy bed, BUT - unfortunally the pillow was a complete disaster!

I agree with those who say the location is convenient, a short walk into town centre. BUT - the best track is trough the main railway station (Hauptbahnhof), which in my opnion is far from the best area in Bremen. Walk fast and keep your belongings tight I'd say (probably seems worse than it is, but anyway...).
And of course, it's easy to get to the hotel. Tram #6 "Universität" from airport, app. 12 min to Hauptbahnhof and a less then 10 minutes walk from there.

Breakfast at Residence is absolutely good, fresh rolls and bread, a good variety of food including a limited hot food selection (boiled or scrambled eggs, bacon and some kind of ham when we was there). Very good coffee, BUT - the juice was just like the beer mentioned above; it was far from cold!
Even though we found the breakfast to be very good, I'd say it's nothing you wouldn't expect to find at a German hotel.

It's a sauna and a solarium at the hotel. We was told at arrival that we had to ask them to turn it on 20 minutes prior to use. I can live with that, BUT - when we asked for it, we was told it was not in use that day. So how it is, I wouldn't know.

Even though there's a few "but's", I probably would choose this hotel again if I could stay in a premium room.

• Liked — Location, room with a balcony
  • Disliked — Nothing special
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank karamera
Kearny, New Jersey
Reviewed May 17, 2008

We stayed here on a trip for family business for four nights. It is located on a lovely side street not too far from the city center. The staff is pleasant and cordial, and they speak English if your German is rusty. I can't stress enough how polite and helpful they were!

The hotel is in an old building that looks like a renovated townhouse and has tons of charm. Breakfast is included and includes a nice spread of hot and cold items.

My only complaints are a lack of air conditioning (although many hotels in Europe lack this feature), and you may hear the local S-Bahn when all is quiet at night. I didn't mind either that much, but I think it's good to pass this sort of info on in case this sort of thing bothers you at all.

• Liked — Staff and charm and also location.
  • Disliked — No a/c and a little bit of noise from S-Bahn at night.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Koehnson
London
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I arrived in Bremen on a Sunday, in good time to see the town in the afternoon, however the miserable weather and incapable Sat Nav in the hire car meant that when I finally found the hotel it was dark and so was my mood.
The hotel is relatively simple and the rooms, though very clean, are not outstanding - however the real plus point of this place is the people who look after you when you are there. I simply asked for directions for the town centre and recieved great advice delivered with such warmth and willingness to help that by the time I stepped out into the rain to walk the 10 minutes into Bremen centre I had a big smile on my face. Each time I had cause to ask a question thereafter (about breakfast for instance which lived up to the billing) or even when I checked out, I was always greeted with friendly charm. If these people can help you they will. If they can't, you'll get the feeling that they couldn't have tried any harder.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank visitor50
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2007

The Hotel Residence is a hotel that has very friendly service, in a location convenient to the Railway Station. It is a converted Jugendstil house, but the rooms have fairly modern furniture. There is an old world quality to the lobby and breakfast room.

Our room looked out over the tracks, but it turned out to be quiet room despite the location.

The breakfast was delicious, and the breakfast room is pleasant and bright.

It was at least a 15 minute walk to the Old town from this Hotel.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank phoenikia
uk
Reviewed September 4, 2007

visited bremen 2 days,hotel residence superb nostalgic hotel,breakfast was great choice,sausage bacon eggs for the brits,salmon and mackerel in breadcrumbs olives selection breads yogurt fresh fruit incl strawberries kiwi meats and cheeses earl grey tea filter coffee,definitely not basic-just brilliant for bargain price.

Stayed September 2007
4 Thank paulbran
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed August 13, 2007

The hotel Residence was an excellent choice for our too brief stay in Bremen! The hotel had lots of charm and character,was exceptionally clean,very friendly and helpful staff and an excellent quality of breakfast.We were on the 2nd floor and there is a small lift for guest use although we only used it for transporting luggage.We were able to park in the Hotel's small carpark free and walk easily into the city centre. However the hotel is only a few minutes from a tram stop which actually goes all the way to the airport.We also were only a 10minute walk from a large and beautiful park. Bremen is a very interesting and attractive city with both a vibrant shopping centre and old historic part and we will definitely return to both Bremen and the Residence to explore more.

• Liked — Atmosphere and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple