“No longer special - bad menu and lots of cigarette smoke”
Review of Katzen-Cafe

Katzen-Cafe
Ranked #66 of 947 Restaurants in Bremen
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This restaurant looks like a cute and romantic place hidden in the old town of Bremen. It used to be my favorite location for special occasions. But over the years it changed drastically.

The menu changed from exquisite German & French cuisine to a menu that offers anything from steak, sushi, to cheap Singapore noodles and some German cakes, which questions the quality and style of the restaurant that used to be very special. Dishes also became cheaper which attracts a different type of clientele and further questions the food quality.

But the worst part is that the open-air garden-like part of the restaurant (tiny but romantic) became EXCLUSIVELY A SMOKING ZONE. This means that there will be people sitting a few centimeters from your table smoking the entire time and on many levels (the area is covered with a plastic roof which keeps the smoke inside the garden area). Even if u r a smoker I doubt this allows you to enjoy or taste anything special in the food if you are covered in a cloud of smoke. This is a huge pity because this used to be a really great place for romantic or family getaways and now it is being transformed into an average beer-garden with an odd menu and slow service.

Staff has not warned us that all seating outside is for smokers. In addition, we waited for 10-15minitues to be seated outside, 20-30minutes for the menu and the information that a table inside (possibly non-smoking) would be another 1h wait, even though we made a reservation.

Continue looking for a better place for delicious food and a romantic atmosphere. The old KatzenCafe is no longer there.

3  Thank shenzi k

Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were a big group eating dinner. The restaurant was crowded but we received a table. We waited the food coming nearly an hour. There was only 1 or 2 waitresses serving a whole lot of people. At last we received the food. The medium steak was far from medium - it was more than well done! It tasted like bedouin's sandal!. I asked the waitress to come - and she came. I explained and showed that the steak is no good. She took it away, and after a while she came back with a new portion. At least I thought so. I was confused to see that the same beef and potato came back - now the steak was even more well done and the taste was awful! I could not eat the steak. The service was really rude and I promised to myself to write this review as they charged full price for food that was uneatable.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Maybe we should have eaten lunch but they failed miserably at a simple piece of cake and coffee.

It was fun to poke around the Schnoor district and when we got to the Katzen-Cafe we were caught in a sudden downpour so we sought shelter in the cafe. It was warm, cozy and with the different levels architecturally pleasing.

The cake I ordered was stale and tasteless and ridiculously expensive. 14 euros for a stale cake and coffee was over the top, plus it took a long time to get it to us. The rain storm was over and we should have cancelled the order and gotten out of there.

1  Thank SDMcGee
Reviewed April 24, 2012

it is a nice place which seems very small from the bigining but try to go inside the building and its lice labirint of an old historic house. Long time ago someone lived there now it reconstracted to a nice cafe/restaurant

1  Thank Tamilla_ab
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This place is very cool and chic. Red leather sofas with black and white pictures on the walls of old school celebs give it a very cozy feel. The food was excellent, I had the Pumpkin and Ginger soup with battered prawns and for my main it was the Linguini and King Prawns. It's about 5 minutes walk from Domsheide Station and if you only had to eat in 1 restaurant whilst in Bremen, I'd pick Katzen-Cafe every time

1  Thank Burak S