“Good value for the money in Bremen”

Best Western Hotel Bremen City
Ranked #17 of 86 Hotels in Bremen
Reviewed April 23, 2012

In the center of Bremen, good breakfast, the room was cleaned and the staff was very helpfull.
i can recomand this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
schaper, Leiter Front Office at Best Western Hotel Bremen City, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Dear husgei!
We are happy that you liked our hotel and your stay in Bremen. Thank you for your comment
Have a good time and maybe we will see you again in Bremen! Take care :-)

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed here for night on business with a colleague.

The hotel was reasonably easy to find with a car and satnav, although I think that may ahve been more luck than anything as you just sort of come across it, in amongst a row of shops/bars. We did struggle to park, again luck found us a space outside but was only ok to park as we arrived at 10pm and were leaving before 8am the next day, if we were earlier or planning to stay later then parking would most definitely been an issue.

The reception was small and certainly not impressive, however the receptionist was helpful and friendly. We made our way to our rooms and when we did we both laughed the doors opened outwards which could be awkward if a neighbouring room want to exit at the same time. The rooms were very odd I felt like I was in a ships cabin it was quite small and was pannelled wood from floor to ceiling, the ceiling height was very low and the furniture and bed was all in wood cabin style, it did us for the night as we were literally just there for sleeping ahead of our morning meeting but I would not want to be here for a longer stay. In fairness the hotel room was clean, shower room was clean and had a good shower and the odd looking bed was actually quite comfortable and had an electric button to move it up and down so I slept well although my colleague in the next room said he had a terrible nights sleep. The room was quite hot and the noise outside made it difficult to have the window open so could cause issues to light sleepers.

The area of the hotel is convenient for those using the train as the main station was opposite, I have stayed in Bremen about 4 times now on business and this was I'm afraid to say the least favourite hotel I have been in. If going to Christmas markets I would rather stay in the Atlantic Grand or hotels by that hotel as I felt that that would be more convenient. The local area outside the hotel was not as nice, we found 2 or 3 bars to have a late night drink in but it they were not of a high standard they were what I would call drinkers bars.

We did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on this but the reception staff in the evening and the following morning were very friendly. I would stay here again if it was for a short trip but there are two hotels I would check for price and availability before this one.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
schaper, Leiter Front Office at Best Western Hotel Bremen City, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Dear Jeffers65!
Thank you very much for your comment. We are happy that you liked your stay in our hotel so far.
We assume that the rooms you stayed in where standard single rooms. Your are right, these are smaller rooms (than the ones in the comfort categorie f.e.).
Certainly the rooms in the 5-star Atlantic Grand Hotel are much bigger and more comfortable that the ones in a 3-star-hotel like ours. And of course we do understand that you prefer to stay in a first class hotel.
Nevertheless we would be very happy to welcome you again in our hotel, if you like to stay with us again please ask with your reservation for bigger rooms (or double rooms for single use).
Have a good time :-)
Best Western Hotel Schaper-Siedenburg

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Not easy to find an very difficult to park(near by park house). Reception very small and very noicy, but staff friendly. Rooms were in a different building and more a flatt than a room and not very nice. No restaurant in house , but a good steak house next door. Breakfast VERY good and just the best. Will not stay in this hotel again and can not recommend it !!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
schaper, Leiter Front Office at Best Western Hotel Bremen City, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2011

Dear Danes55.
We are very sorry that you didn't like your stay in our hotel. It's a pitty because we like our guests to leave us with a good feeling and pleasant memories.
We are surprised that you didn't like the apartment you stayed in. Actually everybody so far found them nice and comfortable. No matter if we talk about the wooden teak floor or the Villeroy & Boch bathrooms, we think they are quite exclusive. But there's no accounting for taste so again we are sorry that you didn't like the room.
We do agree that parking is not as comfortable as it may be in hotels with an own garage. This is the price we have to pay for a very central location. At least we may offer special rates in the parking garage for our guests.
We hope you will have a better stay in another friendly hotel the next time you are in Bremen. Take care :-)
Best Western Hotel Schaper-Siedenburg

Reviewed September 17, 2011

Initially I was given a room on the second floor, which was somewhat dark and gloomy due to the lack of natural light. Upon opening the curtains I was presented with a pile of cigarette butts, as the window opened onto the inner courtyard ground.. not the greatest start.
I asked for a room with more light and was given a much nicer room on the fifth floor, facing the street, but with a caveat from the staff member; you won't get much sleep as the street is very noisy. She was right. So the staff, and therefore the hotel management, are aware of the noise problem but haven't done anything about it. You'd think they'd at least put double glazing on the windows.

Upon entering the room for the first time I found some cheap microsoft clipart flyers asking for donations to some charity. I thought this was really tacky. In fact Best Western's visual branding is rather cheap and tacky. I guess this is Best Western at it's best.. yesterday's hotel chain. They really need to work on their image.

In the morning I was then faced with more noise, this time from within the hotel, from other guests in the hall. It appears that sound proofing wasn't a priority when this hotel was set up.

The wifi was erratic and weak, which was frustrating.

The staff at this hotel, however, were really wonderful.

I would suggest to anyone planning a trip to Bremen to bypass this hotel and stay at the Swissotel just up the road. It is slightly more expensive but what a huge difference!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Bob9billion
schaper, Leiter Front Office at Best Western Hotel Bremen City, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Dear Bob9Billion!

We apologize for all the invonvenience we caused you.
For your information we would like to let you know that the rooms to the street side are equipped with sound-insulation windows. Nevertheless, the noise of a main street like the Bahnhofstraße is to be heard still.
The comparison with the mentioned Swissotel might be a little disproportional becauce we are a 3-star-hotel and the swissotel used to be classified with 5 stars.
Again we would like to let you know we are really sorry that your stay in our hotel was not the way you expected it to be.
Have a nice summertime in NewZeeland :-)
Kind regards

Reviewed September 13, 2011

The positives for this hotel are many.
The staff on duty were kind, courteous & very friendly. It makes a wonder of a difference to be greeted by someone who looks like they want you there!
The deluxe room we stayed in (#514) was more like a suite, with lovely views over the city.
Despite not having a bath, it was spacious & incredibly comfortable.
Large flat screen t.v with at least 2 English speaking channels & a kettle in the room, extra blankets, sofa & huge work desk area were included.

The breakfast (handily starting at 6 a.m, for those like us with an early flight) was quite simply excellent. It offered a vast array of choice & good quality breakfast items.
Included in the price of the booking, this offered fantastic value.

The down side is that the hotel suffers noise problems. Despite being on the 5th floor, the noise from outside was still apparent.
It also lacks air conditioning, which would have been a nightmare, had the weather been any warmer.

Those 2 things made me knock a point off, as I found it difficult to sleep because of the heat & the noise.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We spend a night at this hotel, only one block from the train station and two minutes walk from the city center. The staff was very kind and helpful, the rooms are quite big and very comfortable, with a tea set. There is a coffee machine on the first floor and the breakfast is very good. The price is okay. It is really worth what you pay, which is not much.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2010

First I want to warn people that this hotel is on a very busy street and quite noisy. I can sleep through most everything, but I'll admit it was difficult in this hotel. My companion wore earplugs.

Aside from that, it is a great hotel. We were here during a heat-wave and our room had no AC. They provided a fan, but it was still quite warm.

The hotel staff is wonderful! The front desk was very helpful with my numerous questions (e.g. best Doner stand, how to make appointments at the Badehaus, where is the grocery, do we need reservations for this or that restaurant, etc), and everyone, including the housekeeping staff, speaks impeccable English. They were patient with my German, and were very kind when I just gave up and switched to English.

The breakfast buffet is extensive and very very tasty. Coffee is at every table with sugar, sweetener and real cream. The buffet included all kinds of breads and rolls, cold cuts, dried meat, cheeses, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles, other veg, teas, cakes, chocolate cakes, about 10 different kinds of cereals including house and several different kinds of muesli and spelt, fresh fruit, fruit salad in syrup (likely canned), yogurts, cold milk, and many different kinds of juices (multi-fruit, tomato, orange, apple, etc...). Sausages, bacon, and scrambled eggs on all days except Thursday (meat-free day-- had tofusausages and no cold-cuts), and waitstaff came to the table every morning to ask if you'd like a boiled (hard or soft) egg. Great way to start the day. The breakfast is included in the room price, and I made sure to partake every day.

The rooms are a decent size for European rooms (I'd been in Paris the week before, so it seemed enormous), and incredibly clean. (The housekeeping staff is very nice and thorough-- even folded my PJs that I left crumpled on my bed one morning.) Our room had a small TV-- got 2 English channels: CNN & BBC news; 3 arabic channels, and several German channels. Also had MTV which was sometimes in English, sometimes in German. Our king-size bed was actually 2 twin mattresses on a king frame-- so there was a space in between. 2 large feather pillows, 2 twin feather comforters, and an extra non-feather blanket in the wardrobe (also had 10 wooden hangers-- very nice since we had business attire to hang). Many wall outlets, and free wifi-- ask at the front desk for the code. It is not a secure network, so I do not suggest banking and such, but very good for e-mail and looking up info on the area.

I would stay here again for the cleanliness, breakfast, and amazing staff. I would probably request a room off the street, though, because of the noise. Any try not to travel during an unusual heat-wave next time.

I can't comment on the price because it was part of a conference package. Balancing out the wonderful service with the noise, however, I think 100-125Euros would be reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business