“So good we ate here twice!”

Zur Letzten Instanz
Ranked #582 of 9,381 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German, Bar, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: Napoleon is believed to have once dined at this restaurant, which opened in 1621. In 1621, a retired knight’s servant of the elector of that time opened a little distillery, and by this he laid the foundations for “Letzte Instanz”. Thanks to the “Graues Kloster” (Grey Monastery), in Waisenstraße, belonging to Nikolaikirche, the distillery was getting more and more popular even beyond the borderlines of the city. The monastery, working place of doctors, alchemists, and astrologists, and which also had a printing work and a foundry of letters, enhanced the popularity of Waisenstraße and attracted a large number of guests coming to our restaurant.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The garden tables made for a wonderful setting on a June evening. The food was delicious with well prepared sauces and very tasty meats. The Berliner beer was, of course, excellent.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,671)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The grilled pork knuckle here was one of the best things that I have ever eaten. Our group was treated very well and I can definitely recommend this place for anyone looking for a hearty German meal.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Traditional German food, lovely atmosphere, pleasant service. Too bad they do not accept credit cards (minimum 50 euros). 2 main courses, 1 beer and 1 big coke costed about 36 euros (not including service).
Worth a visit because the garden you sit in is special.

3  Thank Nurale
Reviewed June 13, 2013

A friend of mine who is a self-employed tour guide suggested Zur Letzen Instanz because he explained that it's the oldest restaurant in Berlin and is right next to the original Berlin wall--and not the wall from the GDR/DDR, but rather when the city was founded.

We sat outside because the weather is nice, which is only for a very short time in Berlin. It's peculiar, too, that the street is called Waisenstrasse, or Orphanstreet--because apparently the 'outsiders' and outcasts of society has to live outside of town such as orphans and executioners.

Anyhow, enough with the history lesson. You can read about the restaurant on their website.

You'll delight in the hilarious names for each meal that all relate to various court related inside-jokes. If you're a lawyer or a judge, you'll find it particularly funny. But only if you can read German--I used the German menu. You can buy a copy for 6,50 Euros.

We had a vegetarian dish, the Gratinierte Kartoffel Paprikaroulade and it was AMAZING. Cooked tomatoes, potatoes, some kind of yummy cheese in the middle, red and yellow peppers, decorated with blueberries and raspberries and a couple of waffle chips. Not too much food, not too little. Beautifully presented, too!

Our other dish was the Eingstweilige Verfuegung (ha ha!) which was the MOST DELICIOUS piece of meat I think I've ever eaten. It was a large portion, too. It was so tender, it just fell apart. I think it was pork, but I don't know for sure--but it was sooo good. It was served with dumplings. Yum!

I heard the servers speaking some English. Our waitress was very friendly overall--we speak German, but also with the other customers who didn't.

Definitely check this place out, but highly recommend that you make a reservation if you come here in the summer. There were a lot of people that had to wait to sit outside (although they could have sat inside immediately). It's at U-bahn/Subway Klosterstrasse because of the old church there. All of this is basically slightly southwest of Alexanderplatz (so take the S-bahn to Alex and walk or the subway). It's right next to/in the Nikolaiviertel. Enjoy.

Zur Letzen Instanz, you get an A++!

2  Thank Ceejinator
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had heard from a number of people about this restaurant, purely because of it being the oldest in Berlin and because Napolean supposedly ate here. However, what those people didnt tell me was that the food was actually really good. I am not sure what I was expecting but I guess it was not what I ordered. I decided to opt for something different and ordered the Homemade Meatballs which were exceptional and it was served with seasonal vegetables (tomatos, beans and white asparagus) and fried potatos. All in all a great meal. I guess the only downside was the slow service - at one point I only saw one waitress working but then another waiter appeared after about an hour of us being there. However, if you want to go for great food and dont mind slow service, then definitely give this place a try.

2  Thank Pumbaa86