“Perfect special occasion restaurant”
Review of Heising

Heising
Ranked #36 of 8,994 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Keine EC- oder Kreditkartenzahlung möglich. No credit card payment available. Reservierungen zwischen 19:00 und 20:30h möglich. Reservations are possible between 19:00 and 20:30h.
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We read about this restaurant and were impressed by the TA reviews. With just a short time in Berlin and with an anniversary to celebrate, we thought we'd try Heising. We made our reservation online and showed up at the appointed time. While unassuming from the outside, the door opened up to a room from the past. Elegant and charming, the small restaurant held tables set with crisp linens,delicate China, candles, a huge bouquets of red and white roses. We were given menus listing the choices for apperitivi, the three or four course meals, and digestivi available. (Note: The choices a limited so if you are for a wide range of food and drink, this may not be for you.)

I had a Campari a orange that surprised me because the juice was fresh-squeezed. We ordered the four course meal and were not disappointed with any of the eight dishes. My husband raved about his sweethearts and declared the oysters to be some of the best he'd ever had. My scallops were fabulous and educators divine. I had the lamb and my husband had the venison and we debated over who made the better selection. We both chose the desert sampler,coffee, a a glass of port to end our delicious dinner. Hissing does not offer wine by the glass but the wine list is adequate and reasonably priced. We shared a very good bottle of Modoc, which we liked quite a lot. At the send of the evening, we were presented with a plate of homemade chocolates and one of those gorgeous roses. A perfect end to a perfect evening. The cost of this delightful adventure was 180 euros and worth every bit of it. We should return to Heising without hesitation. Wonderful ambulance,superb service, excellent food and drink, and all at a reasonable price.

3  Thank Diane V
Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Heising is an interesting combination of a meal and a cultural experience. The restaurant is run by a friendly couple that embue the dining experience with old world elegance. It is a relatively small restaurant, so it is important to get reservations early. The restaurant has the intimate and cozy feel of eating in a formal sitting room, which is matched by the furnishings, table settings, and roses. The food is gourmet French, and you have a choice of a fixed price three or four course menu. If you aren't familiar with French food, I'd suggest caution about sweetbreads or other unknown stuffings, since they are likely entrails.

However, the venison with chestnut mousse was outstanding. The meat was tender and the chesnut side dish was an excellent complement. The scallops were well cooked and prepared in three different sauces. The mushroom strudel was delicious! The crepes suzette were perfect, with just the right hint of orange peel and Grand Marnier (as well as homemade ice cream).

A wonderful evening was had here!! I would recommend it to anyone celebrating a special occasion or looking for a fantastic multiple-course dining experience.

1  Thank VA_Odysseus
Reviewed March 31, 2013

As written in the other reviews, the place is worth a visit. A very unique atmosphere and getting served by the owing couple makes this a night of the memories. The food is good, and the price more than good. However, I must have to say that after being in Berlin more than six times and dining at various places, this is not the number 1 place from a gourmet perspective, but due to the atmosphere and price level Heising is definitely worth a visit.

Remember to book in advance!

2  Thank StineRonholt
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

There's a reason why this restaurant is nr. 1. They simply give you an experience you won't forget any time soon. The decor, the atmosphere, the food and the service is wonderfull. Thank you for a very special evening.

1  Thank Mads R
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked a table at this restaurant because of the very positive reviews here, and my high expectations were fully fullfilled. From start to end, this was a place of perfection and personality, and it was a mystery to me and my guests that Heising has not been rewarded with a Michelin star - or two...
Delicious scallops, wonderful sweetbread, deer with chestnut mousse (highly recommended) and the yummyest desserts you can imagine. - A bit unfair of the Heising couple to serve homemade chocolates after all this, though, because we just couldn't eat more...!
The price is extremely reasonable compared to the quality - 46 Euro for a three course meal - only be aware that they don't take credit cards (and credit cards just don't fit into the atmosphere).
My thanks to the Heising couple for an unforgettable evening.

1  Thank TravellingLady60