“clean”

Best Western Hotel City Ost
Ranked #197 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel is very nice, the area green and beautiful, I got a taxi here, but it is very close to the city center, they have a good location for the price, this place reminds me of my home, I got a room which was nicely decorated with a classy, ​​clean service goes above and beyond the internet is all you need. is well

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Hotel is located on a very noisy street. One type of the rooms is facing the street. You cannot leave your window opened, unless you're not a fan of heavy traffic :) I recommend to close the windows before you go to sleep.
Rooms are basic, with a good bathroom, TV and other usual amenities in this category.
I did not like the bed. In a double room there are two beds connected together so it makes one big bed but still it is no double bed. I did not sleep well here which I find to be very important during a stay in a hotel.
As I booked the hotel with a huge advance I got a room for a relatively low rate. It might be probably the reason I was given a room where were stains on a carpet and on the wall. (which I hope it wasn't). But as mentioned before the room was OK.
The staff seemed to be relaxed but when I needed something I had the feeling I am bothering them. They gave no eye feeling to the guests, sometimes they were cold as ice, were not very helpful. Pity :)
The weakness which many people mentioned here already is a Wi-Fi. I do not travel to be all time on the internet but it was quite hard to write an e-mail or check anything. For internet you need to stand on the floors or sit in the lobby. If you are lucky you would connect from your bed ;)
If you book this hotel walk around this area. If you like eating out it is a great option for you. If you are not lazy and like walking you will find great spots in many of the streets around.
It is also quite quick to get to a city center from here.

Except one girl, the biggest weakness is currently the staff in BW. I work in hotels and these people here would need a training... I am offering myself.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my partner. They were very friendly when we first arrived and booked in fine, we had paid online beforehand and the receptionist asked us how we would like to pay, I told her that we already had and after a few minutes it was all fine and we were given our room card. We were on floor 6 and our room was lovely. Typical best western but very modern and clean. Wifi is non existant in the rooms, we had to put our phones on the door handle to try and get it to load which it did eventually but we gave up in the end and just used them in the reception area where the wifi was very strong. Its in a great location with the u-bahn samitarstrabe (called something like that) right outside. There is also a netto next door which is open til 10pm which is nice and cheap to get supplies from. We didnt pay for breakfast at the hotel but there is a nice bakery next door which is really cheap that we ate at each morning. The only downfall what the man on reception at nighttime, the first night my partner went down to speak to him as the wifi didnt work in our room and it was quite rude and didnt really want to help then on the last night of our stay I rang down as a baby was crying constantly for over an hour at about 1am in the opposite room, obviously this was annoying but we rang the reception more for the concern of the baby, the response from the man on reception was 'what do you want me to do about it?' very unhelpful. All in all though a good stay and the receptionists in the daytime where very friendly, we left our bags in the luggage store on the last day which was free and locked.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for 3 days, very decent hotel for a very good price. We advise a room on the garden side and not the road. Rooms are good, location is good next to a big road and the subway. We would advise this hotel for people looking for a good price and a decent price

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights - reception staff very welcoming and good,comfortable, clean place to stay. We stayed as part of an amazingly cheap package so were surprised at the quality we received. Good sized bedrooms, great bathroom/shower and very comfortable beds. Shower/hand wash provided so no need to take with you. Hairdryer also supplied in bathroom. 'Tea' box available at reception for 5 euros deposit - all you need to make yourself a drink in your room. Clean towels/sheets supplied daily. The hotel is placed yards away from underground exit/entrance at Samariterstr.The hotel is on Frankfurter Alee which is a very busy road so be aware there will be road noise (suggest keeping the window shut at night). Plenty of bakeries close by for very cheap breakfast - we didnt take breakfast in the hotel (9 euros).Hotel very conveniently placed for travelling around Berlin - 5 underground stops takes you to Alexanderpl. A short walk (right out of the hotel) takes you to traffic lights Niederbarrim-str - cross the road and keep on walking straight down the road in front of you - this will bring you to a crossroads where there is massive choice of eateries.We ate at the restaurant on the corner of Gabriel-Max-Str - great value, great food and great service (frequented by the locals so you know its going to be good). Amazing cakes too.They do a great breakfast too - we had breakfast there on Sunday but do expect to have to wait as they get very busy). Friday night was buzzing with people but we never saw any problems or excessive rowdiness. A young and vibrant area. Lots of little independent and trendy shops too.The ice cream place is a must.
There are rail travel ticket touts around the airport so beware. We took the train to our hotel - exit Schoenfeld airport and head for the very long walkway which takes you down to the station - keep on walking through and you will see ticket machines - dont worry about having the correct money - the machine gives you change. There is a selection icon for English translation. You can buy a single journey ticket for 3 euros (ish) or a 7 euro ticket which gives you unlimited 24 hours travel. You need the train heading for Pankow. Get off the train at Frankfurter Alle(roughly a 25 minute journey). Walk out of the station and turn right - the entrance to underground is right in front of you - catch the tube to Samariterstr - the exit is a few yards away from the hotel. We walked it as we thought it couldn't be too far - it is! The maps supplied are great but distance is deceptive - it is much further than you think. Once you get the hang of the transport set up in Berlin its brilliant - they have really got their act together and it is so cheap and versatile. We used our tickets on the underground, rail and tram and to they all run every few minutes so you are never waiting around for long. Dont forget to vaiidate your ticket though - they do have people checking but they are not dressed in uniform! We felt very safe walking around - If you want a flavour of the real Berlin and the locals then Freidrichshain is a great place to stay. Final note: watch out for the cyclists - they have a lane dedicated to them on the footpaths and really do go at a pace!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank SaffiSheffield
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed for a week in this hotel .Getting to the hotel was easy using the S-bahn service S-9 from Schönefeld Airport and alighting at Franfurter Allee Station. It was very hot in Berlin 35C so it was good that the aircon worked well. Everything you need is on your doorstep and it you take a walk to The croosroads or Boxhagener Straße / Niederbarnimstraße / Simon-Dach-Straße, Berlin, Germany and find a selection of quaint Cafe Bars .. On the route from the Hotel you will find several restuarants which would suit even the most cosmopolitan of tastes. The area around is fine and covered in street art if you fancy a walk around. The big bonus is the U Bahn station outside its bettter than having your own personal taxi to the town centre (worth selecting for this reason alone ).. Staff are friendly and knowledgeable .. The only downside I found was the fee for a late checkout which is 30€ to leave at 3pm and 60€.. It was raining on the last day so we checked out this option as we didn't need to leave for Airport until 4.30pm.. You won't surprised we decided to go up to Alexanderplatz and brave the rain instead! Pick this hotel if you want a no frills hotel in a good location with excellent transport links

Room Tip: Maybe good to get a room near the lift for better internet coverage
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paul M
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I picked this hotel because I was in Berlin for only 24 hours to see Fall Out Boy and it was nearby to the venue. The subway right outside of the hotel was great and having shopping centres nearby was good but I didn't really like the area at all and if I were to visit again, I certainly wouldn't visit East Berlin.

We got into the first room and were there for a couple of hours when we realised there was a disgusting smell in the room. It smelt like a strong B.O smell but the smell wasn't coming from me, nor my boyfriend, and it felt like it was coming from the pillows and the quilts. It was beginning to make me feel a little sick so I called up reception and someone came to investigate. This member of staff claimed they "couldn't smell anything" and then said they had a cold and couldn't actually smell anything at all (I don't know why they bothered sending this useless member of staff up to be honest). We were given a new room and after a couple of hours that one began to smell too but I couldn't be bothered to move rooms again so I just stayed there.

The temperature was up and down in the hotel room all night and even when I turned the heating off, it was still boiling (and this was on a freezing March night). I barely slept that night and after being boiling and annoyed at the weird smell coming from the room, I was happy to escape and get my flight home. It's a shame because the rooms are modern looking and clean, this smell just seems to linger to something in them all.

The cons of this hotel and its location outweigh the pros majorly and I would recommend staying in a different area in a better hotel if you choose to visit Berlin.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple