“Great location, hotel & staff”

Best Western Hotel City Ost
Ranked #182 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
“Great location, hotel & staff”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over New Years period. Experience was better than expected. Little touches like free chocolates, cake and donuts at reception was fantastic. Clean rooms, helpful and bubbly staff was a bonus. Would stay there again. Well done Best Western!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Franklin, TN, USA
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed two nights here during a recent sight-seeing trip to Berlin.

The room was comfortable. Shower was like most European showers - somewhat small. But very adequate. Bed was comfortable.

The most outstanding feature was the lobby staff. VERY HELPFUL. Spoke English. Helped me get around the city, as it was my first time there.

The hotel was very near the subway. And I thought it rather cool to have stayed in the former East Berlin.

I would recommend this hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GeepaUSA
Tulla, Clare, Ireland
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed 2 nights room only in this hotel through arrowtours.ie. Easy to get to from Berlin Schoenefeld airport with one change at Alexanerrplatz. The U Bahn stop 'Samaritersasse' was right outside the door which was great. The public transport is very cheap and excellent.
We were early arriving at the hotel but that was not a problem and we were checked in straight away by very friendly staff.
The hotel has a small reception/ little bar and seating area, but when you're there to be out and about that didn't matter.The reception staff all weekend were very nice and helpful. Be sure to ask for a non smoking room if you do not smoke!
The room was spacious enough for two, bright and airy. The bathroom was also clean and had a hair dryer. The beds were comfortable and even though it was -6 to -12 outside the room was always warm. There was no hotel or street noise which was great.
There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, there is a coffee machine in the lobby but very over priced! The hotel does a breakfast and a charge of €9.00 but there is a coffee shop next door and a 24hr shop across the road so we ate out. When we were leaving there was no problem leaving our bags in the luggage room for the day as we had a late flight, this was great.
I would highly recommend this hotel for couples or solo travellers on a budget (who like using a cities public transport system) without compromising on comfort, cleanliness and location.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking, we didn't and got a smoking room as we are non smokers we found it a bit sm...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alison M
ATHENS
Reviewed December 15, 2012

It is a very accessible hotel, in all senses: Very near the UBahn station, and it also has proper accomodation for wheelchair users. An echelon of young men and women from different countries comprise the staff at the Reception,in the very entrance of the hotel. All willing to help and answer your every question.I made friends with all of them, and I hope to see them again in my next visit. My room was next to the linen room, so usually I woke up early in the morning,as the maids and cleaners were busy coming and going and the door kept banging.But when I mentioned the problem to the reception, they supplied mr with a pair of earplugs, so there was no more problem. Things aren't going well with businnes in Berlin, particularly a wheelchair business that I was directed to by my wheelchair maker,But Live, the Belgian girl of the reception, kindly and pesristently kept calling them, to ask them yet once again why they never called back as promised.Finally, one day before I was to leave, she sent them an email, after which they promised to find what spare parts I needed for my wheels and supply me in time.Of course they never did! If you happen in a similar situation, don't trust the repair man the reception unwittingly had directed me to, he proved completely deceitful and untrustworthy, a cheat of the worst kind. We had to call the police, and report him. The hotel business should care for their working people more, because they deserve more attention and respect for their service. I have the feeling that they do not! I wish all thereception people,those I never lernt by name, and Mattias, Dominique,Harry, Oliver, and especially Live for her particular attention with my telephone calls etc, and Viviane whom I only saw once, the night I arrived,when she ushered me to my room and helped me with my luggage, and after that once she had back ache that kept her away for the rest of my stay, I wish them all Merry Christmass and happiness in their future.I hope next time in Berlin the snow and ice will be effectivelly cleaned from the pavements, and the city will be usable by all, including wheelchairs people...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank SPYRIDON-OF
BERLIN
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Biggest asset of the hotel is location close to the u-bahn entrance, food store. Rooms are clean except for the carpets. WIFI range inside the rooms very week sometimes to non-existing. Breakfasts - very good, service very nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

2 Thank ARKADIUSZ S
Heswall, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was clean with a modern feel and having just returned from a two night break, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a base from which to explore Berlin.
It's right next to a train station with easy access around Berlin and a bakery next door offering breakfast at just a couple of euros.
The bar area could of been better, just a couple of chairs in reception but served a purpose after a long day sightseeing.
The room was clean and modern and the bathroom was lovely.
Overall, I would stay here again and felt it was excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Cath M
Wallingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Had a three night stay here December 2012. Great for a city break. A U-Bahn stop directly outside the hotel door. Easy access to Alexanderplatz in less than 10minutes (and from there Airport, Train Station and city centre). The hotel is flanked by a great bakery and a supermarket.
The rooms were clean, very quiet and spacious. A very comfortable bed.
Travelled in December and the room was also very warm.

Room Tip: No issue with facing the main road, very quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple