“Simply delicious !”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The food is made of first quality ingredients, the service is worm and easy going but yet professional.
It is highly recommended to reserve a table. We arrived in the middle of the week and the place was packed with not even one table for two. However the 30 minutes wait was worth the time.
Be prepared to spend more then for an average meal, but we thought that it was definitely worth the expense.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I booked a table for my other halfs birthday dinner after researching the best places to eat in berlin. This place appealed to me on two levels; 1. The food looked delicious/authentic and 2. The restaurant accepts credit cards (which in berlin is rare) and it is a real selling point after months of 'cash only' rejections. Oh and Brad Pitt came to this place (and if it's good enough for him...)
On walking into this restaurant you feel like yes, I've picked well - immediately. It's beautiful, cosy, smells great and was full (830pm Monday night). The vibe was that of a proper italian restaurant - full up, wines on show, delicious dishes, busy staff - just lovely. A well dressed, italian looking chap (potentially the general manager) took our coats and seated us at a lovely table in the front of the restaurant (candle/bottle of oil on table) - feeling good.

Our tentative, quiet, unassuming waitress served us (she was really sweet but oh so shy and provided a different service to what I was expecting - she was very understated while her manager provided the conversation with tables, I was expecting a full on italian style service. We didn't give her a hard time asking the usual "what does this word mean" etc, we just ordered the mortadella starter and mortadella lasagne for mains. (Yes, we are big fans of the big mort). I'm sure the waitress could have answered tricky questions but she seemed shy (perhaps a little sad on this particular night) so we behaved and despite her quiet demeanour, she was good at her job.

The menu is easy to understand and delicious - although the boy did point out 'where are the side dishes' - not sure if they are offered but are not listed on menu.

We ordered two glasses of House red - delicious and served on huge wine glass (looked like the measure of wine had been free poured as was well over 100ml line). We also asked for the bread basket (which I assume comes as standard) and the boy ended up asking the general manager for another basket, and another. The manager gave him a lovely smile each time he asked for more bread and even came over to give us some extra special olive oil and have a little chat about the year of production of the oil. A very nice touch that on my boys b-day, he was given extra attention.
On the 2nd time of asking for more bread, the manager filled the basket which was nice.

The food is exquisite, delicate, flavoursome, moorish - everything that came out of the kitchen looked wonderful. The price point is good for the quality of food - approx 13 euro for a main - book here (and definitely book in advance) for a real treat - fun night.

1  Thank Gillian L
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a good Italian restaurant in an attractive neighborhood with reasonably priced, good wines. A full dinner for two with a bottle of wine was 100€ plus tip. It is on my list to make a return visit.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Al Contadino was closed this day, so I get my lunch in nearby Mozzarella Bar. Friendly, informal place, great for lunch or quick meal. Simple menu based on first class ingrerdients. If You are not into cheeses You can have "day menu" on unbeatable price: 10 € for starter (can be hot or cold) and pasta or 12 € for starter and ossobuco. Good selction of wines (bit pricy compared to food) and frindly staff. Without doubt I will visit them again.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Went here for an early pre-marathon dinner. Without speaking Italian and with only limited German, the list is a little tough to get through. The antipasti we had was, well, very basic; and it seems, looking at what was delivered to other tables, the antipasti are huge; share. Ours was, well, ham and toasted bread; not really an appetizer. The ravioli of the day was good in the pasta was fresh and the tomato sauce was tasty; however, the tuna filling was like tuna filling anywhere else either. The service was great for us; we were early with only limited other guests. We just felt there are plenty of excellent; and cheaper eateries in the area; this one failed on the value for money dimension.