“Fantastic Food , Poor service”

Al Contadino Sotte Le Stelle
Ranked #720 of 8,934 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were there with some friends. We have been warmly welcome , we ordered and we received our first order in a reasonable time . Than black out. We wait more than 1:30 hour for our main dish . During this time nobody came to check the status of the order , or to take new order for drink ,or ... we were there , abbandoned .
The food we received were really good , the service missing , the price .....

2  Thank Giovanni S

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The food was nice but not more than nice . The menu offered few dishes all too elaborate for an Italian restaurant . The owner is not very pleasant although his staff is . We waited for more than an hour for our starters and then again for our main course. The tiramisu was excellent . The seating very tight . The restaurant is cosy . Would not go again

1  Thank DafnaG
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I've never been more insulted in my life. My wife and I have dined here a couple of times. Last week, we made reservations again in Al Contadino. When we arrived here tonight, our reservation couldn't be found. That's no problem, those things can happen.

What is unforgivable, though, is how the owner left us standing at his maitre d's table for almost 15 minutes while taking phone calls, leafing through his diary, trying to look like he was taking care of our reservation, even though it was already very clear that he had forgotten all about us and was not going to offer us a table. We were told we could come back in two hours. No, thank you.

So I said to him that it's quite rude to take phone calls while guests with dinner reservations are actually standing right in front of you. He said, "I can't turn the phone off, can I?"

Here was a man running a restaurant without a clue about service, about friendliness, about making your guests feel at home. Here is a restaurant that is only in it for the money. Here is a restaurant that doesn't deserve to call itself 'Italian', since a true Italian innkeeper would never leave his guests standing like this,

There are a lot of very good Italian restaurants in Berlin, so just avoid the Al Contadino sotte le Stelle. Not worth the effort.

16  Thank brun_71
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went here and think it was the best Italian meals we have ever had in Italy or anywhere else for that matter.

Havig a baby we went early and were treated like royalty by the lovely staff.

Highlights were the wines, the buratta for entree - if ounhabwnt tried you are missig out! Also our pasta's were amazing including a prosciutto mouse agnolotti wit mint and butter sauce.

We had a few Italian meals in Berlin and frankly they were all good! This was by far the best and one of the nicest meals I have had. I will definitely go back when next in Berlin! Make sure you book to guarantee a table.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We dropped-in to "Al Contadino" at "Brunchtime" on a Sunday just looking for something that matched the time of day - the two cafes across the street were full, so as we just wandered in, slightly uncomfortable with the reality that there were no other customers on the premises.

We got a warm welcome, and having indicated our broad preferences, a glowing description of the absolutely wonderful freshly prepared juices this establishment could provide - we said "yes, 'sounds great", and also ordered a coffee + cappucino. After some delay (as 3/4 staff hung-around chatting), the coffee part of the order arrived - a further long delay followed....

Eventually, the very personable gentleman we had first met returned to tell us "I'm sorry, but our juice-machine is broken". We paid the Bill for our two coffees - the price, by the way, was dearer than most we paid in Berlin. This was not an impressive experience !!

2  Thank Gooner10_8