“Cozy Gaststätte”

Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: Saturday closed!
“Cozy Gaststätte”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Upon first moving to Berlin I was exploring the neighborhood and saw the Hackenthals sign. It was closed so I made a mental note to return. We did and fell in love with the Gaststätte, great portions and cozy feeling. Although Frank was a bit short with us after becoming a Stammkunde we realised he is a true Berliner and he has grown on us. Since then we have been back at least 5 times (took the German in-laws who loved it too and watched some World Cup games). It is a 5 min walk from our place and our go to place.

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So glad we found this place, best meal in Berlin!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We found this little place through TripAdvisor and are so glad we went! Like the previous reviews say it's cosy, friendly and welcoming. We were lucky enough that the owners son was there to help us with the menu but even so we are sure you could take pot luck and still have a fantastic meal. The menu, which changes daily, was short but offered a very good selection and didn't just give you the touristy 'specialities' but great hearty food! The pork and croquettes was very, very tasty. We're going to try and fit in another visit before we leave - It's only a short walk from nordbahnhof and well worth it!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank beckyking17
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We made sure we visited this lovely family-run pub as the reviews on here we're so great, and it didn't disappoint.

We walked from Metaxa Beach (15-20 mins) and were greeted by the charming owner. Even though he doesn't speak as much English as his equally charming son, we were treated like old friends and he brought shots of schnapps to our table and drank with us between courses.

The food is really fresh, hence the short menu, we had the steak and it was the best I've ever tasted, ever! The price is good too.

The locals are friendly, we recommend picking their brains for places to visit, the son particularly was full of good advice and happy to chat with us.

This place is a must - definitely worth going out of your way for. The owner even mixed me a bespoke cocktail when I didn't know what to drink!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank No_foreign_land
melbourne
“Cosy local pub in great neighbourhood”
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

This pub in a quiet street is 5 minutes walk from Schwartzkopffstr Station on the U 6 line or a 10 minute walk north of Nordbahnhof Station on the S1 line.
We are staying locally so it made sense to try it and we are glad we did. Very pleasant staff who go out of their way to make you feel welcome, a nice cosy interior and a comprehensive menu. We tried the fish and pork chop, both were extremely nice with plenty of vegetables/ salad. The beer was good too. The screen is up for the World Cup but only the actual games are shown or there is seating outside. I recommend eating and drinking here.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank joanie27
Eugene, Oregon
“Friendly. Could feel like home”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We found this small pub based on other TripAdvisor reviews and decided to eat here our last night in town. I wish we had discovered it earlier! The beer was great, including the house brew. The food was by far the best we had in Berlin. The menu is small, and seasonally based, but I can imagine you can't go wrong with anything you order. I had pork filets in mushroom cream sauce(could have licked the plate clean if I weren't so full) and my husband had a steak that was delicious. Like the last reviewer mentioned, make sure to have enough cash. I didn't and had to run to the ATM (an U-bahn stop away) but they let my husband wait and have another beer and we still got the customary shot with the owner's son. We'll be back if we get to Berlin again!

• Visited May 2014