“Cool place, shame about the service”
Review of Bandol

Bandol
Ranked #3,934 of 8,513 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Prenzlauer Berg
London, United Kingdom
“Cool place, shame about the service”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was recommended to us by Soho House where we were staying and it was a small, hip place with an intimate but laid back atmosphere.

The food was good, a little fussy and very small portions but it tasted nice and there were some unusual food combinations which worked well.

It is however very expensive for what you get. You can order a la carte but a lot of pressure was put on us to order the full set menu and expensive wine was recommended. We were surprised that the glass of champagne we were offered as we sat down was charged to us at €15 each.

The service we received from the waiter (the stocky man described in a previous review) was dreadful. He put a lot of pressure on us to order the full set menu, recommended very expensive (€80+) bottles of wine only and when we only wanted a glass of wine was very haughty and unfriendly. When my other half left a small piece of cheese on his plate the waiter asked "did you not like that?" in an accusatory tone which made us feel embarrassed.

The grand finale of terrible service came when, at the end of an ok meal spoiled by the waiter, he presented us with the bill saying loudly "service is NOT included". We almost laughed it was so unbelievable. Needless to say, we didn't leave a tip.

Such a shame because this place could be great despite the high prices if the service was anything other than outright rude.

1 Thank 4MR

Moscow, Russia
“Wonderful gastronomic attraction”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

There is no cool interior, cool terrace, no air condition in a small room of 10 tables, and the terrace is just 5-6 tables outside on the street. No great view or something like that: it's not a glamour reastaurant, it's s small gastronomic place for the people, who would like only to eat wonderful french food and great wine, and be warmly served by few people, who is the fun of their work. Just relax, take the menu set and the wine, that recommends your waiter.

• Visited July 2012
Moscow, Russia
“Third time and the same excellent result!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

I've been here twice including Christmases eve. On my new trip I desided to take my wife here and it was the same excellent result. Yes it's prissy. But it's worth every euro. Better eat one time in Bandol than 3 times some 3rd rate sudoVietnamese Berlin food. The service is way ahead tipical berlin snobbish anarchistic usual attitude.

2 Thank Stefan K
New York City, New York
“Just because Brad Pitt ate there doesn't mean it's great.”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I really dislike giving bad reviews to a restaurant, after all the owners and chef do not want to serve people bad food. However, there's a lot of hype about this place in Berlin and I don't know why. They do a highly stylized food presentation, with a fixed menu of small courses. We are real foodies and yes we are picky. I found the food overwrought, not flavorful, kind of weird, and very expensive. They have set dinner times so we could not get in until 9pm. At 11:45 I just wanted to go back to my hotel and go to sleep! The restaurant was not particularly crowded, but it was a long night with spotty service. To their credit they have a wine list with wide-ranging prices. We ordered a lower priced wine and it was just plain lousy. I had the "fish menu" and my spouse had the "meat" menu. My fish courses were small pieces, all artfully arranged, but tasteless . The meat course was marginally better. So, it was a disappointment all around. Until they get their act together, I would suggest someplace else.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank JacksonHoleSkiier
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food, quirky setting, enjoyable evening”
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Our friend who we were staying with recommended this restaurant for my birthday dinner and we were not disappointed. The restaurant itself is very retro and unlike any I've been in before in terms of size and decor. Only a very few tables to necessary to book in advance.

We went for the taster menu and it was exsquisite - wonderful combinations of food that worked perfectly. Great service, good atmosphere. All in all a great evening.