“Good selection of sushi and excellent value” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget
Neighborhood: Charlottenburg
Starnberg, Germany
“Good selection of sushi and excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by a friend who lives in Berlin so we decided to visit it on a recent trip there. Upon entry, you get a bit turned off with the cafeteria-like decor, seating style and noise. However, the sushi selection is quite extensive for the average sushi aficionado. The quality is good but not outstanding and they have some good menu deals which make for very good value for money.

In my experience, there ae very few really good sushi restaurants anywhere in Germany and this one is good but not great. The service is also a bit lacking!

Would definitely go again when I'm next in Berlin.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank yhelmy

• Korean first
Glasgow, UK
“Great for a quick lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Pack'em'in and sell-it-cheap approach to sushi, and for a quick lunch it's great. Service is good, helped with plentiful green tea, and the prices will be very hard to beat. Yes, it lacks tablecloths, and feels like a school dining room at times, but we really enjoyed our visit which filled us with tasty sushi within a short space of time. The queue out the door was a sign of this place's success.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank DHogg
San Francisco
“Not for sushi lovers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I came here because it was recommended by Timeout, it was close to my hotel, and I wanted a quick bite before hitting the sites. Upon walking into the restaurant, I knew it was a mistake. Big cafeteria like setting, filled with tourists, and laminated menus. But I didn't have the energy to go searching for another restaurant. Decided to play it safe - just ordered a spicy tuna roll and miso soup. The tuna roll was odd and the soup bland. If you're a sushi lover who is used to San Francisco or LA standards, then don't bother. It's basically what you would get at Safeway. I guess if you're not used to real quality sushi, then this place is probably ok.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
Melbourne, Australia
“Good for a cheap lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is good for a quick lunch, if you don't mind a busy place and maybe having to share tables. My German or Japanese is not good but since I only wanted some "regular" sushi it was easy enough to point at the picture on the menu. The sushi was very good for the price, and the tea was included. I would have eaten here again if I'd discovered it before my second last day in Berlin.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Cheap, fresh, but still ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We come here every other month, since Schlossstrasse is not really far from where we live and, it's relatively cheap. Especially if you come Wed or Sat (all day long happy hour tarifs for menues) or any other day before 16.00 (happy hour...). The cooks at the bar and the waitresses are very nice and busy at the same time. There's always a crowd and hard to find more than 2 empty seats within 15 minutes. There's free tea. The atmo is simple but adequate. Anyway, when I left yesterday, I had this feeling of having had enough of fish. Something which usually never happens to me in high standard Japanese places. I am sure it's directly linked to the fact, that more and more Ishin adapts to the German taste: they add mayonaise in their spicy tuna maki, squeeze a dash of mayo over the grilled salmon nigiri etc. I just don't like that.

• Visited August 2012