“Refused water to a breastfeeding woman”

Trattoria Paparazzi
Ranked #1,921 of 8,583 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Prenzlauer Berg
London, United Kingdom
“Refused water to a breastfeeding woman”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I know that German restaurants can have a funny thing about giving tap water to diners but given that everyone knows it's a total scam to make you buy their very expensive bottled water, (German tap water has higher safety regulations even than mineral water.) you would have thought that a decent restaurant would let a breastfeeding woman with a raging thirst have a carafe of tap water - especially when she's with others, and everyone's ordering two courses and wine.
But no. The previously charming waiter here turned grim and cold when we asked him and stuck to his refusal. When we said - truthfully -that we'd been given tap water everywhere else in Berlin we'd eaten, he accused us of lying. Twice!
When we asked to speak to the manager, he disappeared for ages, eventually returning with two glasses of tap water. He rudely banged them down on the table and stamped off, saying over his shoulder that was "All we would get."
His treatment of us afterwards was haughty, abrupt and disdainful. It really, really upset me - and I'm quite tough usually!
It's a shame - the food here was good - but I find both the refusal to give me water and the waiter's behaviour afterwards unforgivable. The waiter saw me breastfeeding, so there was no confusion there. I also don't think it was because he minded me feeding my baby in his restaurant: Berliners are very cool about that stuff and anyway, he showed no sign of disapproval - before, that is, we had the effrontery to ask for tap water.
Please don't go here - walk a few steps further and go to two far better and infinitely more friendly restaurants: Restauration 1900, Husemannstr.1 and Gugelhof, Knaackstr 37.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MidnightMoon2013

Dublin, Ireland
“Dreadful food poisoning!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I'm so sorry to write this terrible review, but on the evening of August 31, 2012 both my husband and my son ate an octopus dish at Paparazzi that made them desperately ill with food poisoning. My husband ended up in Friedrickshain Hospital for 3 days! The other pasta dishes my daughter and I ate were smothered in overpowering Truffle oil (usually a chemical substitute for real truffles) which was not even mentioned in the pasta description. Finally, sadly, the service was so neglectful that we sat at our table for an hour and a half before our dishes ever arrived. I can't remember ever having had such a poor restaurant experience - especially since this restaurant had been mentioned by a few other writers as having decent Italian food. Eat at your own risk!

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Florence F
“Definitely worth going!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

After reading the reviews we were hesitant about going - but were so glad that we did! The appetisers were delicious, my boyfriend had the tuna carpaccio which was superb and I had the salad which was also good. The highlight was the pasta - freshly made and full of mushroom flavor, truffle goodness! We would have liked to try dessert but the service was a little slow - that was the only flaw... But we headed down to Anna Blume for some cake and gorged ourselves there!

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place.

Budapest, Hungary
“Just okay”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We went to this Italian restaurant after making a reservation. It was busy there and it took us 10 minutes to get to our table. We did not mind waiting for the table but afterwards the quality of the food could not cover up the delay. The pizzas en pastas were just of average quality. The service also failed to support the shortcomings.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Lustoff
Milan, Italy
“Margherita, 9.5 EUR. WORST PIZZA EVER”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Before starting with the free floating hostility, let me just introduce my self:
I am Italian and I am living/working in Berlin, and I have tried all the Italian Restaurant/Pizzeria in Prenzlauer Berg (of course I did, I am Italian :)

This is, by far, the worst pizza-experience ever and let me tell you why:
1. Customer Experience: one of the waitress kept staring at us constantly. Unless you are a peeker, you would not feel comfortable!
2. Price: Is far to high compared to what you get. I spent 17.20 EUR for a Margherita, a Beer and one Bruschetta (i mean literally one). But ehi, dont get me wrong, the beer was good :)...
3. Food Experience: The dough of the Pizza was pre cooked (like the one you get from the supermarket). What they do is this: they let you pay 9.50 EUR for a pizza that they do not prepare. Pretty smart, uh?

Alternatives/Suggestions:
For a meaningful and playful pizza, you should try Papà Pane di Sorrento in Ackerstraße 23.
But ehi, if you wanna try Paparazzi, please go ahead.

• Visited January 2012