“Best restaurant in Berlin. What more do you need to know?!”
Review of Saigon and More

Saigon and More
Ranked #26 of 9,010 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Schoneberg
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Fabulous food and great atmosphere. Flexible to accommodate any request, including my vegetarian needs, great recommendations. Owner Ertugrul is a joy and even includes the occasional massage with your meal! Cannot recommend highly enough... After almost three years of regular business trips to Berlin, this is my firm favourite restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed November 14, 2012

...these are the manager's words, but I disagree. Other than that not much to add to the rest of the reviews of this excellent place.......other than to say that if the owner offers you a massage, accept the offer!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Having travelled through Vietnam and had some of the most delicious food to be sampled anywhere around the globe I am perhaps a bit of a 'hard marker' when it comes to rating Vietnamese restaurants. I would say this place is "good" not "very good" or "outstanding" but worth a visit all the same and I don't think it would disappoint. TripAdvisor has no star rating for "good" so I've erred on the positive side and given it 4 stars, but really, it doesn't compare with a some of the cuisine I sampled whilst in Vietnam and I felt a little bit led astray by some of the reviews on here.

Anyhow, this is Berlin, so we must take that into account. A city where meat lovers can feast to their heart's content. But on this particular trip I wasn't too impressed by many of the ethnic restaurants that I tried. This was definitely one of the better ones.

The restaurant is very small and located in a dark residential area. It is simple in decor with small wooden tables, green walls and has a basic, rather authentic, feel to it.

The owner, as has been described, is very friendly and willing to help. Some may find him a little obtrusive - he sort of assumes that one knows nothing about Vietnamese food and begins to explain everything on the menu. Maybe he could ask if we have eaten there before or have any knowledge of the cuisine? I think it was when he sat at our table and showed me how to eat chilli oil, taking a quarter teaspoonful out of the pot and placing it on my meal, that I felt his intentions were just a little bit over the top. I'm quite capable of helping myself to chilli oil and having ordered it specially I'm fully aware of how it is and how to use it on my food. I found it a little bit embarrassing to be honest.

He then points to one of the dishes on the menu and explains how he can remove the bell peppers and the basil and the God knows whatever else from it. And I think - why would anyone want to do that? I think he was simply trying to say that they are happy to adapt any of the dishes to personal taste - which is a very nice touch of course - but again it was just a bit over the top and could have been stated more simply.

Anyhow - to the food...

I ordered deep fried wan tun - which were nicely cooked and came with a tasty peanut sauce accompaniment and I had beef noodles for main.

I've had this dish before in Vietnam and it was the most delicious thing I've ever eaten. Thick strips of beef infused with lemongrass and chilli and other herbs - it's to die for. It wasn't quite like that here. It was a generous bowl of noodles and bean sprouts and small strips of beef with herbs and spices and it was very nice - but it wasn't anything extra special. The spicing and flavours wasn't intense enough to my taste.

It wasn't easy attracting the serving staff's attention when it came to the end of the meal. They seem to respond to the pressing of an electronic device which the owner has on his person. In this case the owner was deep in conversation with an attractive single female diner and had stopped paying anyone else much attention it seemed.

Would I go back? Hmmm! I wouldn't rush back. I find it hard to believe that in a big capital city like Berlin there aren't better options than this. But, as I found out over the few days I was there, Berlin isn't Paris or London - so maybe there isn't? In which case I'd say that this restaurant may be appreciated for being a pleasant change from the routine meat fest that is most other places.

1  Thank TheRealDerbyTup
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The owner met us at the door and seated us. He gave us the menus and told us that we could add or change anything, all we had to do is ask. We ordered our food and it was amazing! Extremely fresh ingredients, veggies were cooked to perfection. My son loved the red curry chicken (very spicy) and my husband didn't even share his soup or his curry duck. My seafood dish was heavenly.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went there because of the reviews and it was totally worth it! Really tasty food and friendly staff. The owner himself greets the customers and explains the menu philosophy. I had the rind pilzen (beef mushroom) dish and it was just perfect! Highly recommended to all asian cuisine lovers!