“Very Very Good”

Cuisines: German, Central European, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: A michelin star restaurant with Marco Muller one of the best chefs in germany. From first impressions, our unimposing facade offers little of what lies within. From the moment you step inside, the RUTZ Restaurant opens up like an art gallery delivering a puristic rooms-within-rooms concept, Restaurant and Winebar. Elegant and yet simultaneously harmonious. The RUTZ Restaurant is located on the first floor. Here you enjoy a modern laid back atmosphere amongst natural materials and an exclusive ambience of high-end hospitality. Here you will find a perfect combination in every dish of flavor balance and creative inspiration. Our Head Chef Marco Muller is dedicated to delivering naturally sourced ingredients of only the highest standard and variety. His creative and yet well-balanced cuisine focuses on originality, naturality and aromatics. A great wine bar with a huge wine list. Our multi-award winning wine list offers over 850 unique bottlings with a primary focus on Riesling and German wines. On behalf of Michelin Star chef Marco Muller, Head Sommelier, Restaurant Manager and the whole RUTZ Team, we look forward to hosting you soon.
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Having used tripadvisor over last 5 years extensively to make my travel decisions I finally am writing first review. I found this place through TA and I can only echo the existing positive reviews. I had booked the Michelin star restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday on Friday the 7th of September but last minute changed the booking to the more informal weinbar downstairs. Surprise 4 course menu was superb - my wife is gluten intolerant and they adjusted all the food so she was raving about the experience...(a nice little touch was the especially home made gluten free bread - it was the best that she has ever had - and she has had her fair share of GF free bread across the world including in 2 star Michelin restaurants). The staff is very friendly and recommended a SUPER German Sekt wine....we drink a lot of bubbles from champagne to cava to prosecco and this wine would easily make top 3 - and for 44 euro / bottle a steal. The weinbar is actually quite small and it is the kind of place which you like to keep for your self ....but the chef and the staff deserve the publicity.....will be a question of booking a month ahead next time!

3  Thank BarManto

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We dinned in the Gourmet upstairs it was so great that we raved about it for 2 days and will definatly be back, maybe next time with some friends to share this experience.
Staff open, friendly with a dash of humor as well as extremly knowledgable

2  Thank ToddlerArt
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We went to Weinbar Rutz on a Tuesday night and dined in their bar area downstairs. We arrived at 8pm and by 8.30pm the place was full. The mood is lively but private with very few seats. I would recommend booking before you go. We had the surprise 4 course menu. My wife had a dessert wine and I had two beers and a wine with my meal. The cost of the meal was around 150 euros. The food was good, but not on the same par as some other restaurants in Berlin but not bad. The service is where this place really excelled. The waiter was very attentive and thoughtful with good suggestions without being pushy and happy to take no for an answer. I dropped my knife and he noticed from behind the bar area, ran over and picked it up all the while ushering me gently not to worry and to continue eating. Very nice. The wines were good but not amazing. The beers were excellent - some locally brewed. So overall a great night out but the value for money equation meant that this restaurant just missed out on 5 stars.

1  Thank coolcup
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Admittedly, when you're currywursted, doner-kabob and schnitzled out, I guess almost any elevated cuisine might be great. Rutz however takes German cuisine and elevates it by featuring local and regional ingredients and preparing it perfectly. A great wine and beer selection with optional pairings is a fantastic touch. I'd highly recommend this. (I ate downstairs at the bar portion of the restaurant, and reservations would be recommended)

2  Thank joncamfield
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We, a Danish couple living in the US, have an apartment in Berlin and come here a couple of times a year. Since we found Weinbar Rutz this has been a stable on our Berlin itinerary. Weinbar Rutz has a gourmet restaurant upstairs (went there for Christmas) and a so-called weinbar, which is also a restaurant, downstairs. This time, August 2012, we stayed in the Weinbar downstairs. The principle here is to serve traditional German food, either in a three or four course "surprise menu" or a la carte. Enjoyed a kohlrabi eintopf (vegetable soup, not sure what it is called in English), and a bauern ente (duck). Straight forward, simple stuff, but prepared so that you hear the angels sing. My wife had a summer salat and a tagliatelle with goat cheese. Again simple stuff, but very, very well prepared. Hereto excellent wine at very reasonable prices. Best of all the service is very knowledgeable and very considerate. The servers leave a distinct sense that they are always aware that you may have wishes, and that they are there for you rather than to create additional sales. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

2  Thank GranddanoisbasedinDC