“One of the best breakfasts you can get !”
Review of Pasternak

Pasternak
Ranked #40 of 8,443 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Russian, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Prenzlauer Berg
Description: The Pasternak Restaurant Named after Nobel literature prize-winning writer Boris Pastenak, the author of Doctor Zhivago, PASTERNAK Restaurant is located in the heart of Berlin. PASTERNAK Restaurant is proud to call Berlin locality of Prenzlauer Berg its home and count important landmarks such as "Dicke Hermann" ("Thick Hermann"), the first water tower in Berlin, Rykestrasse Synagogue, Germany's largest synagogue built in 1904, and a remarkable Zeiss-Großplanetarium opened in 1987 among its neighbors. PASTERNAK Restaurant specialty is Russian and Jewish cuisine. PASTERNAK Restaurant serves its own unique house-brewed beer. PASTERNAK Restaurant brings to life the atmosphere of an authentic Russian dining room of the late 19th century, further enhanced by the live nightly piano music. A comfortable outdoor terrace with a view of the "Thick Hermann" water tower completes the picture.
Tel Aviv, Israel
“One of the best breakfasts you can get !”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

On our last visit to Berlin, we walked through Prenzlauer Berg we love in Berlin, and decided to eat breakfast at Pasternak. We got a very larg portion of scrambled eggs with potatoes and sausages, it was great ! The bread , orange juice, and the coffee were very good. The place have a special retro atmosphere, very nice and quiet. Most recommened !

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Yoel N

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Aguascalientes, Mexico
“Spasiba!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I never thought russian food could taste so good.
I don't remember the names of the dishes they served me, but I can still taste them, everything was very good.
I'd go back over and over again, plus the location is really nice.

1 Thank Salvador S
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
“Excellent Russian food find!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

On my last night, my dinner choice was up in the air. I had several ideas but wanted to be near my hotel for an early night. A tour guide I met had drawn on my map four restaurants in my neighborhood. I headed toward a Russian café and found this right next door. I assumed the café and restaurant were related, and Pasternak seemed familiar to me from my research, so I asked for a table. I should say that both nights I ate in Prenzlauer Berg, I think going early (6 p.m.-ish) was the only reason I got tables. It seems that these restaurants all book up for later times. I lucked out and got the last non-reserved inside table.

Having not had Russian food since I was in Russia 2 years ago, I was in heaven. They had set menus as well as a la carte. Usually I go a la carte, but I saw a four course set menu of salmon caviar on eggs, a cured meat soup, beef stroganoff and blini with sour cherries. I was in heaven. I haven’t eaten this since Russia in 2010! The caviar was delightful, even if it was only barely 2 teaspoons. The sweet salty bubbles were incredible. The soup was good, a beef broth with various slices of meat, sausage and potato. The beef stroganoff with two potato pancakes was excellent indeed and the Dornfelder red wine I picked worked perfectly with it. And the blinis topped the meal off perfectly. My waiter laughed at me when he asked if I wanted coffee too, I said “no but a shot of vodka would be nice.” I think that surprised him and he laughed and asked “100 grams, no?” That would have put me in the ground, so I said just the 50 grams. He presented it with a smile and a “na zdorovie.” Indeed a nice way to cap off an evening and a brilliant week. Total here was 41 euro.

Service here was excellent.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank amybatt
Boston, MA
“great the first time, disappointing the second”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

i ate here by myself in 2010, had menu 2 (with solyanka and stroganoff), and found it great. so i went back this summer with a large group. many had the same menu, and the solyanka was good as before, but the beef stroganoff was a big disappointment. while the sauce and flavor were good, the beef was severely overcooked.

also, it's not cheap, basically 35€ per person with a couple of beers and tip. the quality wasn't up to the price.

too bad.

London
“A distressing experience”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I booked this restaurant having read reviews of it in various guides.
I am giving the establishment this rating as a member of my party who has an allergy to nuts suffered a serious reaction and was taken to hospital, having been given a meal that contained walnuts. This happened despite being reassured that there were no nuts in the food and it was "only garlic". Obviously the waiter and kitchen were made aware of the allergy (in German) whilst ordering from the menu. What was particularly upsetting was the reaction of the waiter, who seemed in denial about the whole thing. It was only the intervention of some extremely helpful German diners at the next table, who impressed upon him the importance of knowing which nuts were in meal, that meant we could give accurate information to the paramedics. I am sure the restaurant delivers good quality Russian food, as stated in "The Cool Guide to Berlin", but there is nothing cool about denying what ingredients are in the meal, during such a life or death situation.

3 Thank JLondonLondon