“Great Austrian food! Terrific atmosphere”

Ottenthal Restaurant & Weinhandlung
Ranked #42 of 8,860 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Austrian, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Charlottenburg
Description: Arthur Schneller, the proprietor, combines both the traditional and contemporary cuisine of Austria with a mixture of simplicity and finesse. Amongst our specialities one can also find a variety of vegetarian dishes that have the Austrian nuance of sweet and picant. We cook, braise and bake all dishes recent with preferably local and/or organic products!
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

We will come again. The parsley& oyster mushrooms soup was delicious! Vienna style schnitzel lived up to the expactations. Steak was also very good. A great selection of wines. 82 euros for a party of two including 2 glasses of wine.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I came to try the restaurant after being impressed at the Ottenthal Cafe just down the road.
The waitress got really agitated after I told her that I will have the Wienerschnitzel because I felt like "Beef" tonight instead of poultry so I won'y take the Goose set menu she recommended. She shouted to me repeatedly that it is "veal not beef !". So I asked her from what animal does the veal come from she walked away. After been told by her colleague that veal from from the young of same animal which the beef is from she came back to take my order and throw the bread basket on my table. I was not able to order my wine because I could not ever get her attention and once when eye contact was inevitable she told me to "wait a moment", walked away and never came back. The schnitzel was really the best I have eaten in Berlin. I feel so sorry for the chef, he definitely has put a lot of care and thoughts in the cooking but he really needs to get some good waiters!

1  Thank yshi7200
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Reservation recommended! We walked a long day and was starving. The welcoming smiling faces were great from the staffs. And the authentic Austrian food was comforting.

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were recommended here by the bartender at Hefner, a winderful cocktail bar on Scengnyplatz, and what a tasty surprise. He said he thought the weiner schnitzel was one of the best in Berlin and as he was a local, or at least local enough, we trusted his judgement and couldn't have been happier. Ear here. Have set menu with wiener schnitzel and some beer and you'll he happy that you did. Aldo go to Hefner and splurge on some of best cocktails in the world!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I discovered the Ottenthal by chance some years ago and have been back several times, always impressed by its unchanging high standards of food, service and atmosphere. The restaurant is in a deep vault off Kantstraße near Bahnhof Zoo, opposite the Stilwerk. There are two rows of candle-lit tables with starched white tablecloths and real napkins. The menu is unfussy, with a focus on Austrian classics, but including also local fresh fish. Service is friendly, professional and efficient. We had booked a table for after the theatre at 10:30, in good time to order a meal before the kitchen closes at 11:00. We had Wiener Schnitzel, wafer-thin breaded, deep fried real veal escalope with potato salad and lambs lettuce, plus an optional serving of anchovies, which go surprisingly well with the meat and salad. The schnitzel were crisp and golden, literally hanging over the edge of the sizeable plates, exactly as they are supposed to be, but rarely found outside Vienna. The wine selection at the Ottenthal is stunning (it doubles up as a wine shop in the daytime), sporting a full range of Austrian whites and reds, listed by region. We chose a delectably fruity Blauburgunder from the Burgenland region, not overpriced at 32 Euros. Considering the excellent quality, the food is also very reasonable at 19 Euros for the Wiener Schnitzel. The Kaiserschmarrn at the next table looked delicious, but we resisted the temptation. This is one of the best dining options in a relaxed but stylish atmosphere in the heart of West Berlin.