“Very nice food at a reasonable price.”
Review of Mr Hai & Friends

Mr Hai & Friends
Ranked #699 of 8,388 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Charlottenburg
“Very nice food at a reasonable price.”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

This is a pleasant restaurant with tasty dishes at a very reasonable price. Recommended for everyone, but we did not understand why somebody commented that is was particularly suitable for families.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
“Quality vietnamese in Savigny..”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Original vietmanese food experience,,, nice drinks too

Visited October 2011
American living in Germany
“Vegetarian dishes were mediocre to bland”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

My husband and I ate an early lunch at Mr. Hai and friends, and we were both very disappointed. We shared a vegetarian green papaya salad to start. It was okay, but tasted somehow... sterile. It had the requisite sweet and sour sauce, and some chopped peanuts, and some herbs, but it didn't come close to the best papaya salad I've had. It needed some more depth of flavor. And although it didn't look oily it left my face feely quite greasy.

For my main dish I ordered a vegetarian pho. I was expecting a broth with cinnamon and anise, or some spices, but the broth tasted simply like salt water. In the salt water were lots of noodles, a few pieces of raw tofu, and a handful of vegetables. And almost no herbs! I was expecting a plate of herbs, limes, bean sprouts, etc. But the soup came alone. I asked for some chili sauce to give it some flavor, and the waitress brought a trio of sauces, two red and one brown (tamarind??). After adding these sauces the soup was edible but still not very good.

My husband ordered a beef stir fry. He said the sauce tasted like generic chinese sauce, not vietnamese at all. The menu said it had lemongrass and other south asian ingredients, but he couldn't taste any of them.

The only thing we really liked was the artichoke tea we ordered. it just came from a teabag, but it tasted just like artichokes!

We weren't too concerned with the ambience, but the decor made the place feel like a chain restaurant. I was excited about the open kitchen. I wanted to see the chefs cook our food, but we only saw them make the stir-fry. The salad had already been made I think, and the salt water (ahem, soup) just appeared without us seeing them making anything.

Visited October 2011
Antwerp, Belgium
“Truly disappointing!”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Service: unprofessional. They gave us a current and an outdated drink menu. We ordered two different wines, of which one was only mentioned on one of the menus. Instead of telling us that that wine was not available anymore, the waiter took the order and brought us one glass of cold (!) red wine and one glass of warm red wine. When receiving the bill we noticed we've been served the same wine. Why didn't the waiter tell us when we ordered?
Also not at all interested to know whether the food was OK, but only interested to clear the table as fast as possible.
Food: below expectations. The plate was very cold, which caused the food to cool down quite quickly. And a typically German salad side was served in a corner of the plate, something you don't expect or even want when eating Vietnamese. And no sign of any chop sticks.
Speed: faster than fast food, in other words really too fast.

“If you are tired of German food, try this.”
Reviewed May 9, 2011

A beautiful outdoor setting overlooking sunny Savignyplatz in the early evening. A relaxed drink, fabulous vegetarian dish ( they do meat as well) and friendly, professional service to boot. Great value!