“Best Meal, perhaps Ever..”
Review of Marjellchen

Marjellchen
Ranked #25 of 8,662 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Charlottenburg
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We traveled all throughout Europe, and this was probably the only night of our whole trip that I did not seek out a great meal. We had eaten Currywurst Express (DO NOT GO THERE) earlier that day in between tours, and we were violently ill for much of the afternoon. However, it was our last night in Germany and we wanted to make the best of it. We called up Marjellchen and asked for a late reservation, around 9 pm I believe, just because I was so ill I didn't even think I could be around food any earlier than that. We got there, and it was like being in a local German grandmother's home. The food looked great, the atmosphere was warm and inviting and home-like. We sat down and skipped appetizers and just ordered our meal. My boyfriend ordered the Goulash and I ordered the meatballs, mostly because it looked like the cheapest and (in my mind) smallest entree they had. They both arrived and were very healthy portions. The hostess, an older German woman, came over and spoke with us about our entrees and was very sweet. We told her we were ill and she said she'd take good care of us, and she did! The meatballs melted in your mouth, they were so savory and I ended up eating the majority of my meal even though I had been feeling sick! My boyfriend absolutely devoured the Goulash. I don't think we could put into words how delicious everything was, it surpassed any expectations we could have had. We even ended up splitting an apple dumpling dessert. I have to say the dessert was good, but it really paled in comparison to the main course which was just amazing. It was easily our best meal in Berlin, but likely the best meal of our lives. We joke that Marjellchen must have healing properties because we were both feeling much better after we left. I would highly recommend this restaurant. If they had one of these near my home I would be 300 lbs because I would eat there every day.

3  Thank carriefax
There are newer reviews for Marjellchen

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Lovely atmosphere - just like being in a German lounge eating grandmother's food. The owner used her own grandmother's recipes we were told and the charm came along with it. You would struggle with more than 2 courses but don't hold back from asking the helpful staff questions. One of the staff, Elke really made our experience. The lamb and boar dishes come very recommended! Mark and Sarah, London

1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Went with my wife and enjoyed very much. Good old traditional German food, enjoyed the local fruity wine. I recommend to ask the owner for recommendation - everything she had suggested was very good. One has to remember, though, that it is not a gourmet restaurant simply because German cousin is relatively simple. Overall, we enjoyed very much and will visit again.

2  Thank Alon B
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I LOVED this place! Charming decor, outdoor and indoor seating, and the host...she was AMAZING. She described all of the dishes in detail and gave recommendations. I had the fish dish, which was delicious, and he had the leg of lamb and potato dumplings, with a side of cabbage. The beer selection is also stellar. We had a great experience!

1  Thank Chantel A
Reviewed October 8, 2012

From the moment the owner tapped my shoulder and said "the pork knuckle for you", I knew it would be a good experience, and it was. Try the creamed herrings.

1  Thank Stuart M