“Brandenburger Tor - one star - maybe not for a larger group?”
Review of Restaurant Margaux - CLOSED

Restaurant Margaux
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: "Margaux restaurant right on bustling Unter den Linden in the heart of Berlin is a wine-lover’s mecca. Named for its top-flight wine list, Margaux cellars thirty vintages of this noble liquid. The cooking is renowned, too. It’s a new thing, styled Avant Garde Classic and chef Michael Hoffman has earned a Michelin star creating it. Based on the truest French classical techniques, Avant Garde Classic brings Hoffman’s prodigious powers of creation to combine new flavours in complex new ways. Menus include the Voyage de Cuisine, AC Classique with many options for substitutions, and daily recommendations. Dishes include marinated turbot with cream of sea urchin with watercress salad with passion fruit vinaigrette, parfait of Gilllardeau oysters with Champagne Beaumes de Venise and roasted pancetta, stewed lobster with black Perigorde truffles and braised celery in veal jus. The restaurant is luxuriously kitted out, with onyx-clad walls, lovely woods, warm velvet upholstery, imported antique mirrors, all styled to modern tastes. A temple to gastronomy. "
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is a world class restaurant where I had a very good dinner. Creative combinations, appropriate sizes, but I was not blown away as I would have expected. We were with a group and maybe that's why the food was, in my opinion, just off the mark. Do not misunderstand me - this is high quality food and very beautifully presented - but I found our fish and lamb main courses slightly overcooked - not a lot, so I think it maybe because they had to serve our group at the same time and therefore needed to keep some plates a bit longer.

Staff are good and friendly, the atmosphere of the restaurant is beautiful as is the location.

Will definitely go back and experience it again though - because I think they can do much better.

3  Thank Reisaapie

Reviewed August 19, 2012

After years we came back to the Margaux. Only two Menus and one only vegetable. But Mr.Hofmann is Mr.Vegetable, because it was one of the best Dinners I had in my live (and I had many). Very good service, friendly staff and owners. We will com back ASAP!!

1  Thank Frank_and_Barbara
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Margaux is a fine dining experience that rates with the top restaurants in the world.
The atmosphere, as with most temples to food, is refined and polite but subdued. The service is excellent but also subdued, although our inability to speak much German was also a factor.

The food is sublime, some of the most creative dishes I have experienced. Evey dish in the tasting menu was a surprise, both in the construction and the taste. Be aware that although there are 8 courses listed on the tasting menu there are a furher 4 "appetisers" so you will feel satiated at the end because each is so interesting and so delicious.

My only complaint is that the lack of good wines by the glass. The wine list is extensive, but why not showcase great German wines by the glass?
Nevertheless it is truly a great restaurant for a special occasion.

1  Thank J0hn77
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I chose this restaurant to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday. I treated both of my parents to the meal. Two of the three of us are vegetarians and I happened to see a snippit online about Michael Hoffmann's "Margaux". We were very impressed.

I have had the opportunity to eat in some of the finest restaurants throughout Europe, Asia and the Americas. This restaurant is second to none.

Why? First of all everything is as fresh as can be. Michael Hoffmann harvests the herbs from his own garden every morning. Paul Bocus: eat your heart out ;-)

Second: It is a unique dining experience. You will not have experienced any of the dishes before, and yet they are not extraordinarily foreign to you.

Third: The service is simply perfect. It is non-intrusive, yet non-servile. Professional and enjoyable. The somelier is a craftsman and not just a fixture.

Before writing this review I read some of the negative comments about the restaurant. Most of them appear to be from people who were disappointed at the fact that there is "so little choice". I get it, but that is exactly the point. You should not go to this restaurant with the intention of designing your own meal and/or meal creations. You should only go to this restaurant in hopes of placing your hand in the hands of Mr. and Mrs. Hoffmann (she is the Maitre d'hotel) for a very, very unique eating experience.

We chose the 8 course meal (one with animals and two without). There were so many "Grüße aus der Küche" ("Whassup from the kitchen" = small little things to tease your pallate that are "on the house) that you really end up with about 12 courses.

The wine list is both extensive and expensive. But again, I would recommend this restaurant for those who are looking for a great place for a very special occasion--not for every day hunger pangs. Margaux is very, very pricey, but I never regretted the investment one single bit.

2  Thank Cherence
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Service and Ambience Michelin Standard as was the food on our oppinion.