“Beautiful meal with lovely friendly hosts”
Review of La Cocotte

La Cocotte
Ranked #1,645 of 9,465 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Schoneberg
Description: A very original French restaurant, elegant but very affordable with a beautiful terrace, a cosy lounge and non pretentious tasty food served in small cast iron pots.
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I visited la cocette on my first trip to berlin, have to say it is up with the best meals i have ever had. The food was delicious, i had the empire quail which was perfectly cooked, great use of herbs and spices, everything was perfectly balanced. lovely relaxed atmosphere, great for a long sociable dinner. The staff are wonderful , and the owner gave us some great tips on Berlin nightlife which were put to good use. I will definitely be visiting again when i get the chance.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Every thing about this restaurant was very French, including (unfortunately) the service. The food was excellent. And the waitstaff was friendly. But, oh my, you will wait and wait for your food to come. Just like Paris!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I think this is one of the places that used to be good, but with the years becomes victim of its success. It was packed on that night - Tuesday night.
First I asked for wine recommendation but owner Phillippe was not helpful at all, just saying the Chateau de Meusault I picked would be light. Well, it turned out to be a 2008 instead of a listed 2006 one and rather acid and not to all of our 4 tastes - was expecting better for a 35 E bottle.
Appetizers came, escargots and foie gras were nice & tasty, but... What can go wrong actually (escargots tasted as nice as the frozen ones and foie gras was cold and comparable to the one from the shelve!). I had to raise 3 times my arm until I got some attention from the owner. I had to tell him about my disappointment re. the wine, said it is ok but we would like to change for another wine. I suggested a Merlot at 29E but he pointed stright to the... 45 Euros St-Emilion, praising it as a "sublime" wine... Well, wine was ok, but fully overpriced for the timid bouquet it offered.
Main courses were served, all in a small individual "cocotte" (pot). Nice idea for the look, but too much of a "do-it-yourself" caracter for me: client is left alone and has to do the serving all by himself ! No waiter to serve the food in the plate or pour wine/water in the glasses... Waiter only there to bring food & beverage the 1st time on the table, that's it.
Typical french ? No ! But maybe for some still-to-be-tought Berliners, yes...
Well. my "médaillons de pintade" were nothing special to me: sauce had a tomato base and reminded me of some coach class food on a transatlantic flight, tomato rice on the side was good but somehow dry and yes: you have to pay between 1,90E and 2,50E on top of your meal (boeuf bourguigon was 13,90E, my pintade was even 14,90E) fpr your side choice! Should be included, sorry...
The desserts came, all tasteful ( I had tarte au citron), but my friend ordered a chocolate mousse with chunks of oranges that were missing. He called the waiter's attention, but we waited undefinitely. I finally raised my arm again, the boss came , without apologizing he took the plate and.... never came back !
Needless to say, the total absence of service was very bitter and disappointing to us. We wanted to spend an unforgettable last night in Berlin and it turned out to be a happening to forget.
Even when trying to call someone to bring us the check, noone came so that I eventually needed to get up and walk to the bar.
I travel a lot around the globe, I am familiar with french culture (the french part of Switzerland), but 211 Euros for 4 people was definitely too much for a restaurant with no service at all. I will not go back there and my friends shared the same opinion.

2  Thank swi1626
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We visited on the 11th Sept. Terrible thunderstorm that night, so we called the restaurant to see if they could order us a taxi to them, as we spoke no german. Was not a problem at all.
Greeted personally by Phillipe the owner at the door. Offered pre dinner drinks and if we needed any help with the menu just to ask . We ordered the Foie Gras and Crevettes as starters, then the Beouf and Brochettes as our main. The food was amazing, hot, freshly cooked, and I asked for my potatoes sauteed rather than mashed..not a problem at all fo r the chef ( thank you ) . After dinner cafe and aperitif was lovely, with the owner coming over to share advice on places and sights in Berlin, with a shot of Belverder vodka for us all . Totally lovely dinner, great friendly staff, and host . Thank you for a lovely night. I would recommend La Cocotte to everyone . Thank you Phillipe. we will see you next year for sure . Steven And Nigel

3  Thank steve t
Reviewed September 10, 2011

The ambiance was perfect before we even set foot in the restaurant, which is located on small street in the heart of Schöneberg, and totally made me think I was in Paris. The weather was great, so we sat on the cute patio. The staff is wonderful and the food is great. From the clever ratatouille pate amuse bouche and escargot (with an amazing herb garlic butter!) and a fabulous assortment of cold cuts for our appetizers to their famous Boeuf bourguignon and wonderful steak tartare and delicious desserts (we tried the crème brûlée and molten chocolate cake), our meal was great. I can't wait to come back to Berlin and sample more of their menu.

La Cocotte is ein wunderschönes Stückchen Paris, mitten in Berlin! Unser Essen war hervorragend und die Bedienung unheimlich nett und professionell. Wir hatten die Qual der Wahl, aber entschieden uns für Weinbergschnecken, Wurstplatte, Boeuf bourguignon, Rindertartare, und hatten Crème brûlée und den warmen Schokoladenkuchen zum Nachtish. Alles war ausgezeichnet! Wir freuen uns schon auf unseren nächsten Berlinbesuch und eine Rückkehr zum La Cocotte, damit wir mehr von der leckeren Speisekarte probieren können.