“Excellent German fare at affordable prices!”
Review of Gambrinus

Gambrinus
Ranked #1,124 of 8,662 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This restaurant happened to be really near my hostel so I decided to give it a try, it also helped that it appears to have a little bit of history.

The service staff was friendly and attentive, and the beer, characteristic of great German brews :) I had a pork knuckle, a REALLY HUGE portion. I had my first meal in Berlin at Gambrinus and it really set the bar for the rest of my stay at Berlin - a great city with plenty of history.

There are newer reviews for Gambrinus

Reviewed August 2, 2011

To start with the food is fine. Simple but filling with no frills. Typical dishes such as beer stew and roast bratwurst, most served with boiled potatoes and sauerkraut.

Simply put, the service was appalling. We (two people) were seated in a five-seater table. About approx. 30 mins. after ordering we were asked to move as a party of 5 was arriving (our food had not arrived at this point). We had no issue with moving. Five minutes later, the table was then allocated to another group of two. Our food took a further half- hour to arrive, this after the couple who had taken our previous seats had already been served (the same dishes as we had ordered!). The food itself was OK, and price wise is reasonable. However to add insult to injury, the waitress tried to charge us €6.50 for a bottle of water (for context, a beer cost €2.50).

Reviewed July 10, 2011

We had the burger and the meat roll, both were very good. Not too sophisticated - simple, and simply good. People around us also seemed to have enjoyed their meals. All in all, a Great place for traditional German food.

Reviewed June 1, 2011

This quaint restaurant was a little gem. The staff were really friendly and the schnitzel was awesome. I had the one with mushrooms and my partner had the one with hollandaise sauce and both were incredible. Also the meal on total was super cheap. Probably the best value for money we got from most of the places in Europe. Stay away from the tourist areas, go here and enjoy the schnitzel!!

Reviewed October 1, 2010

For authentic German fare I would highly recommend this place, great value and huge portions too.

We ventured in for a wheat beer on a Friday night, hours after arriving in Berlin and loved the place so much we went back either for drinks or food on every other day of our trip. The atmosphere is a lively mix of locals and family groups with a sprinkling of tourists, the bar staff know there stuff and are very helpful, they also speak good English.

On our second visit we had two beers each, a main course and apple strudel which was to die for, the bill came to 38 euros which we thought was excellent for the amount and quality of the food we had had. I can highly recomment the pork knuckle which is slow cooked and incredibly tasty. All the food they were serving looked excellent.

We did not mind sharing a table with another couple as it was a busy saturday night, booking might be a good idea if you plan on going as a larger group on a weekend.

There is seating outside when the weather permits and its a great spot for people watching!

1  Thank ali2020