“Excellent location and rates”

Hotel & Hostel Friedrichshain
Ranked #445 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I got an amazing deal on a single room here last week, paying only 100 Euros for 3 nights. I had a private room with private bath, and free Wifi.

The Wifi was sometimes patchy, and admittedly the bedding in my room leaved a bit to be desired, as there was only one limp pillow and a very thin narrow duvet. Also strange was the electricity, or lack of lighting in the elevator and corridors. But other than that, I can't fault the hotel, which was quiet and 2 blocks from the S and U Bahn. Another plus is of course its location in the uber-trendy Friedrichshain neighborhood.

One other negative: they insist you pay cash for the bill. I'm not sure what the problem is with credit cards in Berlin or Germany, but you will find this is a rather common predicament. Luckily there's a nearby cash point, but it's still annoying in this day and age!

I'd definitely return if I got the same rate!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Heidi P

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Ive been making my way around europe staying in hostels and cheaper hotels. I dont need much and Im not fussy and Im no fanatical, picky, whinger.

But having said that, this place is a dump. Its in a grubby neighbourhood that some reviewers have indicated is charming. Its not. Its just grubby. The staff dont really speak english, no do they have to I suppose, and they were nice enough in their way, but they make little to no effort to be of any assistance. When i got to my room it was the size of a large shoebox, which again, doesnt worry me, but my bedlinen was a pillow and childs quilt that smelt a little too much like vomit. My window opened onto a courtyard, the building has a hollow centre, so car doors slamming, people playing music in their cars, people walking through and talking, and some ignorant and ill mannered spanish guy yapping on his mobile for about 50 minutes at 11pm, all echoed and amplified up through the courtyard. I was on the 3rd floor. Closing your window and the threatbare curtain made no difference. Breakfast was ok, public transport wasnt too far away, but seriously....after the second night i was happy to forgo the other two nights I had booked for and crossed town to stay at the Berlin Plaza Hotel, which is about the same price in a much nicer neighbourhood close to everything and with a room that is worth your money.
Honestly, do not choose this joint.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Zacattack33
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The neighborhood is a bit sketchy with all the punks and goths around - did not feel comfortable walking back to the hotel at night after dinner! The lobby looks nice, as does the restaurant, but when we got to the room.... Ugh! You could play "Name that Stain" on the carpet and furniture. We kept our shoes on the entire stay and tried not to sit on anything. I personally cleaned the shower before using it after I saw hair from a previous occupant still in the drain. Let's say I was glad we were there only 1 night and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: To choose a good room here - go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lubmac
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I liked this place. Past the shop-front entrance, you walk way back past the bar, and breakfast room to the lifts. The building is quite large, around and facing courtyards. Room fairly large, comfortable. We found the place very clean. Decor was budget, but nicely done and the previous use of the building recognised. Breakfast adequate. Tram stop outside, and S-Bahn station about 200 yds away. Vibrant area in the resurgent east, lots of students, restaurants to please all tastes and price ranges. Loved the vibrancy. We'll go again- as pensioners the price is right, and we have lots more Berlin to see!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris P
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Walking the 10 minutes from the train station to this hotel/hostel (I stayed in the hotel) was interesting to say the least. You can never feel too comfortable carting your luggage when you constantly walk past neo nazi's, punks and goths, guys with large fierce looking dogs and people blind drunk at 10am. There is a lot of graffiti and posters on the buildings and if you blink, you will the entrance to this establishment.
Don't let that deter you, this is a vibrant part of Berlin. The hostel is very basic, the rooms are minimal but clean. Beds were OK and the bathroom is nothing to write home about, but it caters for the basic needs.The breakfast is really rather good for a small fee. Amazingly, if you walk a few blocks you will come across a restaurant and bar strip that is great. Lots of variety and fun. The people around this part of town seem to bark worse than their bite. Anyone can wear GP boots, right?

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Truth000
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Travelling with my friend, we requested a twin room. The beds were together so we separated them & were thrilled when we got back from our day out that the staff had rearranged the furniture for us to have separate beds.
The room was very spacious, plenty of places to hang wading lines from too.
The breakfast was 5 euro extra but definitely worth it for the convenience & free wifi in the breakfast room.
There was a grocery store across the road, chemist next door and train/tram station within a few 100 metres.
Overall, great stay in a convenient location.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank ljae123
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights. It was a complete dump and the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. I stayed in the hotel, not the hostel. Unfortunately, the room I got stuck in stunk of urine so bad, I was gagging all night. There was a beer festival down the street, so I can only assume that the person who stayed there before me was so wasted that he decided it was too much trouble to urinate in the bathroom, so he instead pissed all over the bed and floor. Well, I hope he enjoyed himself, because the hotel was fully booked and I couldn't get another room and was thus forced to breathe in his disgusting fumes for 2 nights. Seriously, it is that hard to get up to pee? Anyway, the staff didn't speak a word of English either, which was not helpful in dealing with this or any other issue. Also, the bathroom had a lot of mold and the carpets in the entire suite were filthy and disgusting. One of my roommates down the hall spilled a bottle of coke on the carpet and we didn't bother to clean up because we thought it added to the decor quite nicely. DON'T stay here, there are plenty of other hostels to stay in Berlin, such as Wombat's.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends