baxpax downtown Hostel Hotel
$175
$166
$139
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $158/night.

i31 Hotel(Berlin)
$419
$298
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbed dormfriedrichstrasse stationnoisy at nightperson roomwalking distancecommunal areasfree wifistudio apartmentrooftop bargreat facilitiesmuseum islandlocation is greatlockerstoiletensuitebunkpassword
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Baxpax downtown is a friendly mix between a real hotel and a backpacker's hostel. The walls are in bright and shiny colours, and so are the room. We booked one that came with a little kitchen, which seemed to be a little overpriced given the fact that the kitchen hardly had any kitchen supplies likes spoons and stuff.
The rooms are clean and come with large windows. I can't say anything about their breakfast offer as we prefered to enjoy ourselfs in one of the many cafe places outside the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were in Berlin for New Year's, so I expected a bit of craziness. My roommates did come in really late, but otherwise the hostel is quiet so you do sleep well. Good location within walking distance of everything we wanted to do and see. It was very clean with comfortable beds.
It's pretty institutional and huge. I don't really enjoy this because I like the smaller, cozier hostels, but that's not really a flaw, just a personal preference. The all you can eat Breakfast is super expensive, so I wouldn't recommend it. Just order eggs or something and supplement with food from the grocery store. I didn't think their lunch and dinner options were that good compared to other hostels I have stayed at.
I did not find the reception staff to be friendly at all and always felt like I was interrupting their private conversations when I needed to ask a question.
Bar was somewhat lively at night, but just played a lot of loud tecno-ish music. If that's what you're into than you will probably enjoy it more than I did.
On site laundry was nice.

Basically, it was not my style, but there is nothing really wrong or gross about it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed at the Baxpax with 4 other friends in a private room in July 2011. Its a really clean hostel and has a large bar and outdoor area which seemed to be busy every night we were there.

Also the food at the Baxpax was surprisingly good and really cheap. We ended up eating there most lunch and dinner's which was actually a shame because we should have seen more of Berlin!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Baxpax Downtown Berlin is good, solid hostel. Location wise it's perfect as you're very close to Friedrich Strasse Banhof and all the other transport links that go through there. It's clean, the staff are very friendly, helpful and all in all it has a nice atmosphere.

I just think people coming here have to realise that it's more of a "party" hostel than the ones I'm used to. I happily accepted the free shot I was given on arrival because the queue for checking in was so long but that is indicative of the experience. No kitchen facilities so you can't self-cater, the social areas all have music playing in and although it's sensitive to the time of day there didn't seem to be a quiet seating area. This doesn't ruin the atmosphere, they do have a bar/cafe attached and I guess with the whole of Berlin on your doorstep it's hard to compete. I just think people need to be aware that it's a 4* party hostel but only a 2* for backpackers doing a lot of travel on a budget.

I'll finish on a positive. The staff were all really good, fun, friendly and helpful, even on the 1st of January when my room key was no longer working.

I'd go back here again.

Room Tip: The cheapest room, a 32 bed dorm, was clean, quiet and with an emphasis on being for sleep, far better than other large dorm rooms I've experienced
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 19, 2012

"+":
-wifi
-close to train station
-close to city center
-good atmosphere

nothing to add.nothing to add.nothing to add.nothing to add.nothing to add.bothing to add.nothing to add.nothing to add.nothing to add.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple