“Terrible service, felt threatened”
Review of Weinerei

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Weinerei
Ranked #152 of 616 Nightlife in Berlin
Berlin, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service, felt threatened”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Like others pointed out before me, this place only pretends to be liberal with its policies - in fact, upon leaving, they not only mock and make fun of people in front of other customers who are drinking at the bar, but I personally felt threatened by the aggressiveness and violence of the staff. And it is NOT because I was not willing to pay enough (although their wine is absolutely disgusting), but already when I was going up to the counter, the bartender seemed to single me out and started shouting at me (it turns out, later he was mocking my friends too, but I was so confused and embarrassed that I could barely pay attention).
Even before that, while drinking our wine, I did not feel like there was a relaxed atmosphere at all, it was more a general feeling of frenzy and competition, especially when they brought out the food. Also, it got extremely hot inside, we were practically all sweating.
The concept is nice in theory, but in practice it was like a nightmare. There are many more charming, relaxed and people-friendly places in Berlin, so I'd look for those instead of this one.
(I used to live just around the corner for a year in 2006-7, and it used to be a much better place. Shame that this has become of it..)

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Slavoj S

7 attraction reviews
“Amazing place to hang out ”
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

A very nice atmosphere and
great place to go just to take a glas of wine and hang out with friends. Pay 2 euro, get a glas, and you can fill it with wine as long as its any left(usually empty around 12). When you leave, you pay as much as you want. They serve basic good food as well, but then you should be there bef 20, since its the same concept as with the wine. If you are expecting exceptional wine, then its not the place. But I fell inlove with this concept from the 1st time we went! :) !

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Seems like a great idea, but the wine is awful”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were so excited to find this place, but the wine is so disgusting I only drank 3(small) glasses and at the end I left 16 euros for me and my boyfriend, at which they practically chased after us to see why we left so little.
Only go if you know you can drink a lot cos they expect you to pay a decent amount even if you haven't drank much.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Anonymoussssssss
Lugano, Switzerland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“this place is AWESOME!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I spent 2 months in Berlin and this was absolutely my favorite place to go before clubbing... first of all it is pretty close to many clubs such as Soda Club or Alte Kantine, therefore it is perfect if you wanna drink something before going to the clubs. Secondly, although you pay only 2 euro for the glass, wines are not bad, you can chose between red, white and also prosecco.. honestly I liked all the kind of Prosecco I tried there! and last but not least, the atmosphere there is magic, you meet so many nice people, especially if you get used to go there often... the staff is funny and really friendly. It's a small place but you will fall in love with it! Can't wait to go back there.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Gipsyqueen90
London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Bad wine, concept doesn’t work, rude staff”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We heard about this place and went out to try it, it advertises with the concept that there are open wines, you pay 2 Euros for a glass, then you can drink as much as you wish, and then before leaving you should pay whatever you deem fit.

The four of us went in (very crowded place, young folks), and then we tried each one glass of wine. The red wine was really bad, obviously, they chose a very cheap one. The white one was slightly better, but still nothing to recommend really. So we left rather disappointed. We discussed what we were to pay, and we decided that each of us should pay another 2,50 Euros, which – including the flat fee on the glass - would make it 4,50 Euro per glass of awful wine. When I put the money into a jar while leaving, there were 2 members of staff watching exactly how much I put – this alone defeats the purpose of a place that advertises with “drink and pay as you think it was worth it”. Then they actually approached me and asked rather rudely why I just put so little money for the drinks. I told them that the wine was bad and that 4,50 Euro per glass was actually far too much judged by what I would like to pay for that. So they let me go grudgingly.
The entire concept of the pub is deeply flawed – either you let people really decide what they think the drinks were worth or you just have a price list like everyone else. But faking a pseudo-liberal pub culture when in fact they don't stick to their own advertisement is dishonest at best – don't go there if you can avoid it.

Visited March 2012