“Loved it”

Add it.
Weinerei
Ranked #162 of 634 Nightlife in Berlin
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I stayed at the Circus Hostel (highly recommend as well) and this was right up the street from us in the Rosenthalerplatz. I have seen some pretty horrible reviews about this place, but all I can say is that the night I went, it was great. We met some touring Austrians and hung out with them the rest of the weekend. Atmosphere was great, no one pestered me or gave me lip. I drank probably about 8-10 glasses and threw 20 Euro in the jar and walked out. No one yelled or gave me dirty looks like some people have said. Guess it depends on the night. Go check it out for yourself.

2  Thank chemsoldier99

Reviewed March 13, 2011

If u want to have the smallest wine glasses on earth on a bar that is promised to be an informal wine tasting, where you pay what you think it's fair. All lies! When you leave, the south american barman will ask you how many glasses you had, and despite your answer he will still mistrust you and humilliate you. I came on with a friend, we had 2 glasses of wine and no food at all, we paid 10 euros+2 on entry. He pointed at us rudely, looked at us with disdain and not even thank us or say goodbye. I have never felt so mistreated in my life. Anyway, if you are a tall beautiful gay man, im sure your service will be different! I totally understand and share the opinions that I read, because the situations are so similar, I almost felt relieved now that I realised it wasnt only me! Dont go there!

7  Thank GalaPotente
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We arrived and found a table and the place looks quirky but good, with an amusing assortement of furniture (careful not to get one of the broken chairs). One of our group was from Berlin and she had a bit of trouble getting a straight explanation of whether we'd be able to eat there that evening or not. He initially told us there were a lot of reservations and that there wouldn't be room but not one table was actually reserved. The cakes and soups on offer during the normal 'cafe' hours looked great value and tasty, the selection of wines for 2euro were well worth the visit. We sampled a fantastic fresh dry riesling and an interesting red from a vineyard owned by one of their friends in southern germany/austria that is worth trying.

Then at around 8pm when you have to change wine glasses and put a deposit down on a glass and you just help yourself (being told to count how many glasses we had and to pay what we thought was right). The food was incredibly basic and following a large group of young locals jumping on it instantly, there wasn't really enough to go around. They supplmented this with a few extra rolls and some bread later in the evening but that all dissappeared within moments. Also the quality of the wines brought out to help yourself to was drastically lower than those of offer earlier in the evening.

If you are looking for somewhere to while away an evening cheaply and aren't too fussed about what wine your drinking then later on may suit you. If you want some more interesting wines I'd suggest arriving a little earlier and enjoying the more relaxed atmosphere, I certainly wouldn't come here for the food though, (unless this happened to be an off day).

1  Thank jw4774
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Went here on a Friday night in rainy Berlin. It was warm, welcoming and a great concept... We paid €2 for a wine glass and then helped ourselves from a nice selection at the bar (a dining table filled with bottles of wine), paying what we thought the drinks were worth! Nice idea, good food (basic, granted) and all in all, a great night out. Go for the atmosphere, don't be rude with the "pay what you think it's worth" element... :-)

2  Thank craiglegrice
Reviewed February 27, 2010

If you love agressive goodbyes, then Weinerei is definitely the spot for you! I have come to this place more than 20 times, and I have been harassed at the counter about 12 times. You rent a glass for 1 euro and pay 1 euro deposit but as far as how much you have to pay for a glass of wine, no one knows? Last night, the bartender did not trust me at all and opened the palm of his hand to check how much I was going to pay: I gave him 3 coins of 2 Euro (+ 2 euros when I entered) for 3 glasses of wine. He still asked me how many glasses I had. I got so nervous after such a great night meeting fantastic people that I slipped and said 2 and then corrected myself and said three. I seriously thought he was going to punch me in the face. He said I was lying! So I asked him how much I have to pay one time. I asked another time and he didn't answer.

All in all I had great times at Weinerei but the staff have often left quite a bitter taste in my stomach on my way home. Have they forgotten that they make a living thanks to the people that are coming to their place?

5  Thank garthelgard