“Nice hostel”
Review of Hotel Comenius

Hotel Comenius
Ranked #320 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Very well located, Friedrichshain is dynamic et living space, all of the personal is friendly with you , the place is clean, and the breakfast is very correct. Sometimes loud because of the neighbourhood but our visit has been a real pleasure

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthieu G

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I am on a trip around the world traveling the London to Singapore segment by train. I booked every hotel in every city based upon Trip Advisor.
I had a sleeping car on the “City Night Line” train from Paris to Berlin. The sleeping cars range from six berths per cabin, to two berths, to one berth. If you can afford it, a two berth sleeper is definitely better than a six berth as this is a 13 hour journey.
Hotel Comenius in “East” Berlin is the fourth stop of my journey. The location is good, about 900 meters from the train station, and 1 km from the Berlin Wall. The Victory Monument, Checkpoint Charlie, and most museums are about 5 km away.
Hotel Comenius is the best hotel so far on this journey. The room I had looked like it should be on display in a furniture store. It was immaculate in every way, the highlight was the 10 foot floor to ceiling window overlooking a courtyard. I did not hear a sound all night long. This hotel has a wet sauna and even complementary q-tips in the bathroom.
There are no cooking facilities in the room, but for 8 Euros they offer a breakfast buffet, the best of which I have seen so far on this round the world trip. It includes scrambled eggs, quiche, crepes, deli meats, pates, cheese including Brie, cereals, fruits, breads, juices, coffee and tea. As an added bonus, the lobby has a vending machine that sells 500 ml cold beer for $1.40! The staff are very polite and helpful. I rode my folding bike over 100 km during the 2 days I stayed at this hotel. The highlights were the park surrounding the Victory monument and Charlottenburg Palace. The view from the top of the Victory monument is spectacular. Walk or cycle or transit, this hotel has a good location to explore downtown Berlin.
Previous Hotel – Au Royal Mad in Paris, France. Next Hotel - Ibis Warszawa Stare Miastro in Warsaw, Poland.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TelegraphHarbour
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked this hotel in berlin, because I obtained a Groupon discount voucher. it consisted of a three night stay bed and breakfast at a really good price of 89euro, for a city hotel. In order to confirm dates I had to ring hotel. which I did on a few occasions to finally get my dates 18th 19thand 20th june2013. .my original choice would have being 16th 17th and 18th. lady in hotel told me 17th was unavailable, hence I picked dates I already stated. we arrived on 18th at hotel with confirmation of voucher. which was paided to Groupon before we arrived.as is policy with such offers. the greeting we got by hotel owner on the evening of the 18th was. why were we not there on 17th?. and we now owed him 76euro for that night,which we had to pay him in order to avail of our three nights that we had confirmed and paided for. he was no way nice about this and due to language issues we could not get our point across that the hotel had got our booking all mixed up, producing two booking to us , the confirmed one , and this night of the 17th which we wanted in first place but was told it was unavailable. May I say that I have no issue with Groupon,only with this hotel. I have informed them and they were sorry to hear my story and took note. I do think the whole problem arose from a language misunderstanding on the hotel part, but unfortunally we had to pay for it. From our experience I could not recommend this hotel . We did have lovely time in berlin but not at this hotel felt uncomfortable due to bad atmosphere on arrival and discount offer was not as wonderfull when we ended up paying for night we wanted at the start but told unavailable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank hanora623
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed here mid June 2013 having booked for 5 nights in a 'delux room'. When given our key the receptionist even said, ohh.. Small bed. My God... Small? I've seen hotels with bigger dressing areas. The room was tiny, cramped and smelled. While the room did appear clean it was certainly not above the standard of a 2star. The breakfast was terrible with diluted orange juice and strong coffee (little else). I would definately recommend looking elsewhere for somewhere to stay in Berlin.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Kinda average room but excellent value. Staff were friendly enough and room was cleaned each day although bedding wasn't changed once in 6 nights.

Heating worked very well and kept room tosatie. Small bathroom. Bit noisey at weekends, nothing major.

Didn't have breakfast.

WiFi workerd well at all times.

Very good location for getting into town/Mitte, Friedrichshains bars are just a few mins walk away.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel is located in a backyard so that it's really quiet. We stayed on the 5th floor, the room was clean and we had a big bathroom. The staff is friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our stay. Regarding the price (4,50€ per person) the breakfast is good. Metro and Underground are in walking distance so you can reach Berlin Mitte easily.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I booked this hotel because of the good reviews, unfortunately i was a bit disappointed with the service.

I found the staff to be kinda grumpy. It seems like they were never really happy, or showing a smile or a good mood to the hotel guest. They almost never said anything. Well at least to me.
One time they even thought i was stealing breakfast, while i was just looking to decide whether i would want to buy the breakfast that morning or not. Which made me decide to just go to a restaurant instead. Overall the staff spoke little English. At arrival I haven't received any help or explanation of the hotel procedures and facilities. I was pointed to the instructions in my room. The grumpy mood made me leave my stay kinda irritated.

I stayed in the single room on the ground floor, with shared badroom. The first night i slept really bad. Guests were making noise until 23:00 and early in the morning. The days after that i slept with ear plugs, but luckily from day 3 the hotel also got more quiet with not too many guests around. But it seems the ground floor room is not recommended as it is next to the reception and entrance. Unfortunately this was -not- advertised (i would have never booked it).

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and it was nice to have a table and chair to be able to work on a laptop. The showers were hot and good.
Unfortunately they turned off the central heating a few times after 22:00, so with -15 outside it got kinda cold in my room....

It would have been nice if they offered free tea or coffee for the guests, but no.

Overall it is a good location if you need a bed in a clean room to be near by wherever you need to be in Friedrichshain, but don't except service and avoid the ground floor. All in all i think the ground floor room is overpriced. I rate it more like 20 to 25 euro. The big problem is the noise...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business