“Tired Rooms, Expensive, Lacking Something”

Ellington Hotel Berlin
Ranked #139 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
drbex999
“Tired Rooms, Expensive, Lacking Something”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was surprised and reallt disappointed by the Ellington, overpriced, the room way tired, the mattress was uncomfy, marks on the wall and more like a hospital room than a bedroom. The internet connection didn't work the first day and if you want to use 2 devices on wifi or LAN you pay twice. I expected a lot more.

Outside bar is nice in the summer and breakfast was above average.

For Berlin there are much nicer hotels with better rooms, service for a lower price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank drbex999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berlin
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel room itself was quite ok but the breakfast for 20€ was definately too expensive. Personnaly I eat very little in the morning so that I can at the upmost breakfast for 5€ eating can.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Trencin, Slovakia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I spent one night only. Hotel is located in center of Berlin. Hotel parking aviable.Hotel provide 5€ discount coupon for massage. Next the hotel are very good restaurants. Turkish and Spanish.Staff is profesional and helpfull. Excelent breakfest

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Surrey
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have just returned from a three night stay at the Ellington Hotel with my partner and another couple. We found the deal for this hotel via Groupon so managed to get a good price however I understand that usually it is more on the expensive side.
The hotel is very clean, white and minimalist and the decor is very plain. However it is spacious and light so not in any way unpleasant.
The hotel staff who greeted us were very friendly and spoke perfect English which got our stay off to a great start. They showed us to our rooms - which were on different floors - and we were quite impressed. Our room was of a good size with a tall ceiling but is an unusual layout as the bathroom is not a separate room so be warned, you don't have much privacy from your room-mate when showering! (Luckily the toilet is private). The bathroom area was great though as it feels brand new. There is a power shower, they provide fresh towels every day as well as a hair dryer and there is a full length mirror.
My only negatives regarding our room would be that the bed is two singles pushed together and there was only enough hanging space for around 3 items as there was no wardrobe. Also the wifi is 3.50euros per time to use which is a shame as considering the cost of the hotel I would expect free wifi to be included. Other than that I was pleased.
We didn't eat at The Duke (the restaurant attached to the hotel) as the breakfast was not included and was 20euros per person! But we did sit in the outside area which is like a little courtyard, to have a drink on our first evening. The drinks were pretty pricey so I can imagine the food is much the same but if the weather is right the setting is lovely.
The location of the hotel was fab. We used the underground station which is just down the road, to get around the city and found this to be easy and efficient. Also there is a cute little market (closed on Sundays) and row of restaurants close by the station where you can get some great food.
Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Ellington. Whilst it wasn't quite bursting with character and possibly lacked a little charm, it was the perfect place to rest our heads whilst on a busy city break and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a peaceful nights sleep in between sight seeing. Just look out for a good deal as generally the rooms, food and drink can be pricey!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Location is key. Tegl airport is 20 minutes away (less the €20 by taxi), Train station is 9 minutes by taxi (€12). Tiergarten is right there, Ka De We shopping Center etc.

The hotel is not huge on luxe BY ANY MEANS. I'm used to splurging & staying at 5 star hotels however I was more than fine here.

The halls & the rooms are a tad tired but it's clean & for the rate I got, I was very comfortable & more than happy.

What they lack in luxury & detail they make up for with their Courtyard which, is divided into 2 ends for a bar & their restaurant DUKE. It's comfortably modern enough to make it a genuine nice surprise & touch with cool lounge music, ambient lighting & an all white palette.

Service out there wasn't great. The 1st night very slow & yet they seemed impatient with us. I heard service in Germany was really, really bad (and that was from a German friend) but it was 20 minutes to get a couple of drinks & it's not as if it was crowded.

Breakfast Buffet is a really nice affair. Way better than I expected. It's packed earlier on so I suggest if you want less of a bun fight, go around 10:30am. It wasn't cheap at €20/person/night so if it's better value to have it included in your rate, do so.

Staff is friendly for the most part. Can come off a little aloof but I think that depends on the person.

TIPS:

- Beware the internet charge! It's €3 every time you log on & it automatically logs you off even if you're in the hotel & don't leave! I was charged over €100 over the course of 5 nights. This ticked me off. They should just up their room rate but then they'd probably have to upgrade the furnishings. This nickle & dime tactic really bothered me.

- Upgrade your room to a Deluxe of you're used to a bigger room. However - if you're paying over If you're paying €208 for one of their standard rooms....you might be ticked off.

Go to www.tablethotesl.com
That's where I got my rate, sign up for special deals. Get breakfast included if it works out cheaper than €20/night/person.

FOOD & DRINKS:

It is ironic that a country known for it's efficiency at most crowded restaurants, cafe's or bar's, they don't seem to know how to divvy up their service staff. For example; They would have one waitstaff serving an entire outdoor section at the height of lunch hour in the touristy Brandenburg Plaza. Go figure. So unless your guidebooks specify that you'll get good service .... know you probably won't.

- Have hotel concierge book the restaurant THE BIRD for you! It's far (€20 taxi) but delicious. Two New Yorkers opened it as a steak & burger bar in the trendy Am Falkplatz 5. One of the best filets (if not the best) I've ever had. Cooked to perfection & my hubby rated his burger an 8 out 10. Very casual. Think Lower East Side in NYC. Cool vibe. Make rese's as far in advance as you can or take a later one around 9:30pm.

- Go right ACROSS THE STREET for BONITO.
Charming inside, charming & hilarious owner with yummy & cheap tapas. He's also not stingy on the wine which was a refreshing change.

- Go to NEWTON BAR on Charlottenstraße for good service & great drinks.

- Mister HU Bar on Goltzstraße has excellent exotic drinks. I mean immensely drinkable. Service was weird to start but then they loosened up. On a nice day or evening at a leisurely pace, only a 25 minute walk from/to hotel.

- KaDeWe (which is the equivalent of Selfridge's) has a Food Hall so if you want immediate service before you run out & you've missed the Buffet, go there.

Berlin is a FANTASTIC city with SO very much to offer and a staggering history in just short of 100 years. Get a special rate and your well placed at this hotel to explore it all.

Room Tip: DO not Book room 136! NOISY!! Not only does it face the street but It's at the end of the hall w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This hotel is rather original than cosy. It is an old historical building reconstructed into a hotel. The interior is of a “pure style”, which gives you feeling as you’d be in old hospital. The rooms are small and compact. Bathroom is not separated from the bedroom and the walls are not very noise protected. The windows are large like a shop-windows, which is great for getting lots of daylight, however, before you go to take a shower, make sure the curtains are pulled out as it is easy to view your room from the houses across the street… and the daylight is gone then.. The rooms, in general, are very efficient. Service is fine, but bit “cold”. The hotel charges for internet (wi-fi) access, despite the fact you are hiring the conference room for two days, considerable fee per IP address (i.e. per person). This is quite old-fashion and outlived to me...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Ekero, Sweden
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Ellington for just one night in July and found the hotel very nice and the staff friendly and helpful. The room on the fifth floor was light and pretty, with the shower in the room and separate loo, which worked well. The hotel is in a charming building a very short distance from KaDeWe which makes it very handy for Ku'damm, the Zoo and Charlottenburg. The restaurant looked nice and we had a glass of wine in the comfortable and quiet courtyard bar.

We didnt try the breakfast as we found it very expensive - €20 per person! We instead walked over to Literaturhaus on Fasanenstrasse which is very lovely but you have to get there right when they open if you want a seat!

The only problem we found with the room was the size, there was no place to stow bags if we'd had hard suitcases.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple