“Brilliant hotel, not only a place for overnight stay!”
Review of Hotel OTTO

Hotel OTTO
Ranked #16 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Otto in March 2013 during ITB, only for one night. But this hotel has made more impact than other hotels we stayed in Berlin!

Breakfast with weekly theme of local speciality, and complimentary afternoon tea for guests with wide selections of sandwich, cakes, teas and coffee. The room was simple but tastefully decorated and very comfortable, and big plus for us was that they had fair trade chocolate, soaps and shampoo!

The staff are extremely helpful, my husband and I took our time for breakfast as the staff played and kept our baby boy busy, even received good recommendation to local organic restaurant. The last surprise was that they gave us a whole package of organic tea, when I asked where I could buy them in Berlin (was apparently only sold to businesses) so we are enjoying Hotel Otto tea even at home now.

We did enjoy every bit of the stay! The location is also nice, with small local shops and restaurants nearby, away from the busy big streets.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Given the price we paid I was happy with this hotel it is more of an upmarket hostel as it doesn't have a bar or restaurant which I like to have if I'm in a hotel. The room's are modern and clean. I would of give this place 5 stars if they had of responded to my request of a higher floor and we did get some noise from the street being on the first floor. The rooftop area was nice but the cakes and coffee weren't great (yes I know they were free so I'm not marking it down) All in all good choice for a short sightseeing trip and the neighbourhood was so cute with loads of nice restaurants and bars but if you are looking to party your in the wrong part of town

Room Tip: I think we had the cheapest room so that meant first floor we were offered an upgrade at a price we...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed May 8, 2013

+ very large room
+ friendly staff (changed sheets and bedding for us because of feder allergies)
+ free cake and tee in the lounge in the afternoon
+ clean
+ quite
+ great location (many restaurants, public transport S-Bahn, U-Bahn very close)
Tipp: you can take the X09 directly from the Tegel-Airport to Ernst-Reuter-Platz -> then it is a 5-min walk

- didn't try breakfast
- be careful if you need easy access because there are always steps to take
- bathroom was rather small and ventilation didn't work so well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank juliamagnolia
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Recently I spent 9 nights in Berlin, attending a series of operas. I stayed at the Hotel Otto for the first time, and it proved to be excellent.

Location. For opera at the Berlin Staatsoper, it was perfect--just a few blocks away, with a nice restaurant on the way. It is also near both stations for both the underground and the above ground train lines, so it is within minutes of any part of Berlin. Also nearby are a department store; several bookstores, including some antiquarian bookstores; cash machines, supermarket; some nice fruit stores; and many excellent little coffee shops--much better than Starbucks!

Comfort. I was a single but my room was not cramped at all. The standard German bed, a long counter to be used as a desk, a sofa, and a reading chair. There was a window that opened out onto the street.

Service. The service was super-friendly and wonderful. Example: I arrived in the morning and my room was not ready. I went to the breakfast-dining area (they don't have lunch or dinner) and expected to pay to have coffee while I waited. They wouldn't hear of it. It was free. They have the standard German breakfast buffet, which was excellent but instead of being limited to coffee or tea they also offered cappucino at no charge. And I have never been greeted by a breakfast greeter as warmly as the lovely lady at Hotel Otto. Also, on checking in, they give you a nice journal as well as a delicious large bar of German chocolate. Finally, they were very helpful on several complicated transportation issues.

I definitely will plan on returning to Hotel Otto the next time I have the opportunity to go to Berlin.

Room Tip: If you are there over a weekend, the street outside does get some noisy drunks walking by. Ask for a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank John W
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at the Otto for four nights at the end of April. We loved Charlottenburg; there are plenty of restaurants to choose from and the atmosphere is really good. The hotel is a pleasant ten minutes' walk from Savignyplatz S-Bahn station and there are frequent trains into the centre of the city. Our room on the 5th floor was very big and quiet, with a separate dressing room (comfort room) and a really good walk-in shower in the bathroom. On the couple of occasions we returned to the hotel during the afternoon, we enjoyed the free tea and cake on the 7th floor. We ate breakfast at the hotel every day; for me it was quite expensive at 15 euros as I don't eat much in the morning, but my husband thought it good value for money, as there was smoked salmon and sparkling wine on offer.

We bought five day Welcome Cards for 36.50 euros each on arrival at Schonefeld Airport and we had easily covered the cost of the cards at the end of only four days. It was also so much easier not having to buy a train ticket every time we travelled. Unlike London, there are no barriers at any of the stations, so the people of Berlin must be very trustworthy, as we didn't have our tickets checked once!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miss-Haversham
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in April/May. The hotel is very easy to find from the Ernst Reuter Platz underground/bus stop. Check in was easy and the gentleman was very helpful with maps etc.

The room (standard) was on the small size, but more than adequate for us two. Very funky and modern. The bathroom had an excellent shower, a proper power shower not one of them awful rainfall showers a lot of hotels are going for these days.

Only had a couple of issues which leads to only 4/5 - the towels are ridiculously small, the room was almost unbearably hot even with the window open (no AC) and the TV only had 2 English channels, which I know should be an issue as we did spend most of our time sightseeing, and we were in Germany, but it still bugged us, especially as the wifi wasn't fast enough for Netflix.

Overall, it was a nice hotel and we would stay again if we were ever in Berlin, but maybe in winter!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple