All reviewsstayed two nightsexcellent locations bahntegel airportfurniturezumhostslidlconnection
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I had read glowing reports of this hotel before booking it, and can only agree wholeheartedly with them. I had such a warm welcome and this same warmth was evident throughout my stay. The place was spotless and very comfortable but it was the little extras that made it outstanding. I had forgotten my adapter but it was no problem - I was lent one for the duration. My room had a hairdryer but although this is not true of all rooms, one only has to ask and it will be provided. The breakfast was very good indeed and the home made yogurt excellent as was the homegrown fruit. Being able to help oneself to the fruit during the day was an added bonus, as was the chocolate wafer left on the pillow at night.
Of course, if you like your run of the mill hotel with a lounge and a bar this is not the place for you, but if you are a more discerning visitor then book it.

Room Tip: Not all rooms come with private bath so book early.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Pension Columbus is so close to one of Berlin's main stations and shopping districts and yet it was blissfully peaceful, with rooms clustered round a private courtyard. We were warmly welcomed despite it being a late arrival and when we explained we had an early appointment the next morning they offered to prepare breakfast a little early so we could eat before we left. Our room was furnished simply but with great taste and had all we needed - very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was simply wonderful; the second morning when we had more time I wanted to linger in the breakfast room all morning. The atmosphere was very chilled yet the service was attentive and kindly. After our breakfast the lady said we'd be welcome to take as much food as we wanted for our day and journey home - no slipping rolls in to my handbag under the table in this establishment! I was touched by this thoughtfulness. If we return to Berlin (and I sincerely hope we do), I would come back here without a shadow of a doubt.

Room Tip: Do not worry about not having your own toilet - many of the rooms do so the communal facilities were always free, close to the room and immaculately clean.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Our stay was very, very nice. The location close to Ku'damm is perfect. The woman servicing us was wonderful and catering to all our needs. The only downside was that the wonderful old building was not internally in the hotel restored to its original splendor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I felt that this was a great place to stay in Berlin. The room was very clean and I have to emphasize that the hotel had a lot of charm. The owner is a friendly woman and she was happy to provide maps and information about the city. There was free wifi throughout the hotel and a truly excellent breakfast assortment. The location was wonderful - just a short walk from the zoo. I would recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a unique place to stay to break up the monotony of the typical hotel chain experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Chris F
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My children and I stayed 3 nights. We had a family room which was wonderful. It had a separate little room for the kids which they loved. There was also a fridge and cook top which was really useful. We bought food at the Lidl market across the street and saved money eating in the room. The location was very good, close to U Bahn, Kudamm, zoo, lots of shopping, etc. Breakfast was plentiful. Wifi did not work in our room but we were able to use it in the breakfast room. Really lovely old building. My kids got a real kick out of the elevator-- it's REALLY tiny ;-) . Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a view of the court yard which was very peaceful and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family