“Fully booked so were sent to another nearby Winters hotel”

Novum Select Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #151 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
London, United Kingdom
“Fully booked so were sent to another nearby Winters hotel”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I had booked at the Winter Checkpoint Charlie and had paid weeks in advance, confirming the arrival time (around 10:30 pm), however, once we arrived we were told there was a problem with our booking and we had to go to a nearby hotel '5 minutes walk away' (actually 15, which could be very unpleasant if cold/raining or carrying heavy luggage).
Despite this disappointment (which according to other reviews is likely to happen), the Winters at The Wall was very modern, nice and clean and very well located and excellent for the price we paid (£85 for 2 nights, best value for money of all the European hotels I have ever stayed in).
Would recommend and come back myself.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 29, 2013

A lovely, comfortable hotel that covers all the necessities. The staff were helpful and the bar area was lovely. Rooms are quite stylish, with good en-suite bathroom and very comfortable beds. We always returned to the room looking immaculate as well.

Biggest plus was the location. It is in walking distance of most of the main tourist sights, and it was very easy to get further afield as well as the nearest U-Bahn was just up the road.

Nothing particularly stand-out about it, but for a clean comfortable place to rest your head after a day exploring sights (or in our case, Christmas Markets), it definitely did the job!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Exactly what I wanted from the hotel. Great Location. Very Modern. Bathroom and showers are great. Breakfast was great.

2 things I wasn't happy with was that there was a glass window from the bedroom into the bathroom?! This is the second time I've experienced this in Berlin and its slightly embarrassing since I was sharing with a friend! I could have understood if I'd have booked a bedroom with a double bed but I booked a bedroom with 2 single beds and so I found it very strange. You could see the bathroom and the shower from the bedroom.

Secondly the internet was very temperamental. I tried to login and it kept saying "To many concurrent users online, please try again later". I spoke to reception and they just said to keep trying. A proper working internet connection is extremely important to have for any hotel. At least it was free and when I finally was able to login (2 hours later) it was very fast.

If you are not bothered about the 2 things above then I highly suggest you go for it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London
Reviewed December 12, 2013

As a frequent traveller to Berlin the most important thing about a hotel is the location as in a city such as Berlin you will not want to spend much time in your hotel.

The hotel is located near Kochstasse U-Bahn station and a short walk from Fredichstrasse in the centre of the city and is great for shopping and bars.

The hotel itself is clean and well appointed but looking slightly dated now in terms of its styling.

The breakfast served at the hotel is a good selection but if it is not included in the room price is very expensive for what it is considering you have so many nice cafe's and bakeries nearby.

In summary this is a great hotel in a great location and well worth a visit if travelling and staying in Berlin.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights last weekend and found the hotel spotlessly clean, and the free in-room wifi excellent, but we thought the hotel lacked those nice little extras, for example no toiletries (just a squeezy bottle of all-in-one shampoo/soap in the shower), and no in-room tea/coffee facilities. We also found the mattress very hard and uncomfortable.

I thought the hotel offered great value for money (we booked it as a 'top secret' hotel through lastminute.com and paid £50/night), but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 1-4 December 2013 for the Christmas markets. Location was perfect for what we needed everything was walking distance. The hotel was extremely clean and very tidy. The size of the room was good and the bed was massive and very comfortable. The shower was very powerful just what was needed for a short break. Wifi was free and very quick. On the internet States room service but this was only for breakfast. Breakfast was very busy so had to wait for a seat on one occasion they run out of the good food. Staff were very friendly and guided us to each market. At breakfast when they run out of food staff went to get more and they were told by the manager to take it back which was not so good.
On leaving when the wifi run out they gave us a ticket to use until our transfer arrived which was very good. Overall it was a great stay and would stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I would love to review the Checkpoint Charlie Winters Hotel, but even though we booked and paid for our double room SIX whole weeks in advance, emailed to confirm the booking TWO days before we arrived, we didn't get to stay there. We arrived very late on Thursday evening (11.30pm) in a taxi from the airport, looking forward to checking in and getting a good night's sleep. My husband had a business meeting in the morning near to the hotel and we had plans to visit the Christmas markets over the weekend. When we arrived we were told that the hotel was "full" and we had to make our way to their sister hotel "close by". In fact, it was a 15 minute walk - in the rain - and when we got to the other hotel it wasn't a patch on the one we had booked. My husband had stayed at the hotel before on a business trip and was keen for me to see and experience it for myself as he'd liked it so much. Looking back, maybe we should have made a fuss, but it was late, we were tired and they were insistent they were fully booked. The room was ok, but the reception/bar area was nowhere near as nice and there was no restaurant. We went back the next day to speak to the manager, but they said the manager wasn't "available" to talk to us and although the person we spoke to was polite and listened, they weren't prepared to do anything. We were given a complimentary breakfast as "compensation" - but it didn't compensate. My husband was very upset and says he will never book the hotel again as he will never feel confident that he will be staying there. How can this happen? How can you book and pay for an hotel room and then be told the hotel is full? Can you imagine any other situation where this could occur? My husband and I are very experienced world travellers and have never come across this before. I'm sure it is there somewhere in the T&Cs if you check carefully (that they have a right to bump you to an 'equivalent' establishment) but frankly, it stinks. I suspect that a large party had booked after us for the first weekend of the Christmas Markets and as we were so late arriving they just sent us elsewhere. But so late at night, dark, raining, suitcases in hand - luckily we're fit and not (so) old, but how can they do this to guests paying for a four-star hotel at any time of day?

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple