Select Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
1,227 results
All reviewscheckpoint charliecheck point charlieasadorjewish museumminute walkwithin walking distancenice hotelcentral locationroom keysingle duvetsaround the cornerexcellent locationunderground stationwould stay againquiet streetholocaust memorialquiet at night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 1, 2013

It didn't start well - my cab driver from the airport took me to the wrong hotel. The sister hotel, also called Winters, and closer to Checkpoint Charlie than this one. Luckily it was easy enough to find and about 500 metres away. Although this is a four star property the rooms are small - bed against the wall etc. But, my room seemed to have been recently refurbished so everything worked and was in spotless condition. Bedroom windows open which is good - it gave me a better view of the wall opposite! The rooms don't have wifi - the in room brochure says you can use dial up - but I couldn't manage to sort it. The lobby area does have wifi and also two computers free to guests which was useful. For me it wasn't the greatest location as I like to have little cafes and bars nearby and there was very little without going for a 10-15 minute walk. I found the staff generally helpful - although a couple were a tad frosty. The main reason I stayed here was the price (£58 a night - not including breakfast) and it was close to where I was working. But I wouldn't stay here on holiday. Caveat on that - it is close to some tourist attractions if that's the reason for your visit. Taxi from Tegel was about 24 Euros and one to Shonefeld was about 34 Euros.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TWP64
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My and my partner booked a 4 night trip in August (through Last Minute.com), though unfortunately had to cancel the first night as we changed our plans leading up to our trip. We had already paid in advance, so were expecting the hotel to tell us the first night cost would be lost which was fine with us. I informed the hotel by phone and email 1 week before to let them know we'd be arriving a day later (my German speaking friend did this with me as I was afraid there might be a slight language barrier). All was fine and hotel agreed!

Arrived at hotel..... to be told they had NO record whatsoever of the reservation and they were fully booked!!! I showed them print out of the email's (reply from Stephanie) and booking confirmation, but they denied all knowledge and refused to give me my money back!!! They just lied to my face!! I was absolutely fuming angry! They said I'd come to the wrong hotel! It was just crazy!! They were just very rude and unhelpful!! After about a heated 20mins, we had no choice but to leave.

Me and my disabled partner were left out of pocket, without anywhere to go and in the middle of a unknown city!!

We eventually found another hotel (Ibis Budget), though had to pay out more money again (on top of what we lost) for our new accommodation. I must say though, as basic as this hotel was, it was a great location and the staff/rooms were fantastic!!! It made up for the disaster at the start.

I must report now, I complained as soon as I got back to UK to Last Minute, who in turn followed up my case. After 1 month, Last Minute got back in contact with me and said they had NO responses from the hotel about what happened and can only say it was because the hotel had overbooked during that weekend and cannot justify what happened. Last Minute refunded me in full :)

Never use this hotel!!!!!!!!!! There are much better one's just a short walk away on Anhalter Straße!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JazzHands1984
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We have just returned from a 5 night stay in Berlin. We got a good deal including breakfast and was not disappointed.Hotel is in a good location, very near to Checkpoint Charlie, the Jewish Museum and the Gestapo Headquarters. A short walk to the UBaum. Our room was small, spotlessly clean with a decent sized bathroom with a powerful shower. Breakfast was fresh and plentiful, you were given a huge thermos of coffee. It was served til 10.30 Mon-Sat and 11.30 on Sunday. The staff were friendly and helpful. Nothing negative to say about this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank curlysueEngland
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here this weekend, make sure you specify a Non Smoking room if you're a non smoker, my Sister refused to sleep in the smoking room she was given as it smelt so bad, and slept on the floor of my parents room, she was charged 88 Euro for this privilege and the hotel says that if you don't specify a non smoking room then they can put you in a smoking room and it's your bad luck if you don't accept that! Since when is the default having to specify non smoking? No refund for her having to sleep on the floor, awful! would not recommend this hotel chain and the staff dealing with this issue were very rude and basically did nothing.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Roger B
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Two months ago I booked this hotel. Parking the car in a big city might be a challenge and I am very aware of this. We found a public parking lot paying 10 euro/ 24 hours. This price is ok for me. As a non-german I do not have a ec credit card, so I went to the hotel to make them change 10 euros to one euro coins. Informing them we were guests checking in later, I expected the staff at the reception to be helpfull. Surprisingly I was told, that they could not have money for all the guests and their parking. The situation felt very uncomfortable and the staff very unfriendly. I got som changing money at the little bakery store around the corner.
We arrived in Berlin at 10 am and check in was from 3 pm, so we went for some sightseeing. Getting back to the hotel at 5 pm to discover that the hotel had overbooked and there was no room for us. We had to walk 15 minutes with our suitcase in the street as I had already paied for the 24 hours parking. The person at the reception gave us a map marked with the new hotel, but she put the mark on the map at the wrong spot. Our standard was upgraded, but frankly I don't care, I would have been satisfied with a proper service!
This place really needs to SHAPE UP!!

Room Tip: Check to see if they have overbooked your room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family