“Very impressed by this hotel”
Review of Hotel de Rome

Hotel de Rome
Ranked #12 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a well situated hotel close to all the sights in the Mitte district. The décor is typical of the Rocco Forte chain. There is a very tranquil pool in the basement. The bedrooms are large and the bathrooms are very well appointed. We liked the breakfast buffet which is served in the elegant Italian restaurant. There is an excellent range of fruit, cereals, bread, cold meats ad cheese and a huge variety of honey and jam.
The last time we stayed in Berlin, we chose the Adlon which is also excellent but I have to say that I much preferred the Hotel de Rome. It is less formal and the staff are more approachable than the Adlon. Overall, a more relaxing place to stay.
I also really liked the look of the rooftop bar although unfortunately frequent showers during our stay meant that it was not open. The downstairs Bebel bar was open and was a very elegant place for a pre-dinner drink.
Next time I am in Berlin, I would be inclined to stay at the Hotel De Rome.

1  Thank Irishguest
Hotel-de-Rome-37, General Manager at Hotel de Rome, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Irishguest,

Thank you very much for your kind comment. I hope you had a safe trip back to Dublin.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank for choosing Hotel de Rome and for giving such a detailed evaluation. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back in not to distant future.

With best regrads,

Thies Sponholz

Write a ReviewReviews (1,371)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is the second time my husband and I were in Berlin and first time stay at this hotel. The location is good, close to the museums but a tag far to the metro station. We had a good run from the hotel to the Brandenburg gate and then to the Tiergarten and back. Everything was good. Room was clean and bathroom has very good facilities. Service was really good. We had to leave real early for the airport (before normal breakfast hours) the last day. The hotel staff was nice enough to whip up some warm pastry and coffee just for us while we were doing the check out. It was a really good gesture and we greatly appreciate the great service!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear tweetymai,

Thank you for taking the time to comment here on TripAdvisor and give us you feedback in regards to your stay at Hotel de Rome. I hope you had a save trip back home to China.

Your evaluation has been gratefully received and it has been my pleasure to pass them on to all the team. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcoming you back to Hotel de Rome in not distant future.

With best regrads,

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

What ever I write about this hotel, I can't give it right.
This hotel is really extraordinary in all aspects.
If you want not to go wrong, choose this hotel. This is my 4th stay of this hotel and still I'm falling in love with it every time.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear reasheed_albader,

Thank you very much for your excellent comment here on TripAdvisor. It has been my pleasure to read your kind compliments.

I do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Rocco Forte Hotel de Rom.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I had seven nights at the Hotel de Rome and from the welcome to our departure, it was very good to excellent.

We had room 325 that was on a relatively quiet road at the rear of the hotel and enabled us to have the window open without too much noise. On the other hand, the air conditioning was efficient and quiet and with the double-glazed windows, when shut there was no outside noise. The room was large and comfortable with a modern and roomy bathroom with a good shower, good water pressure and constant temperature. An end of the day shower always led to fresh towels at turn down service. There were also some nice touches such as a birthday cake being in the room on our return one day that happened to be a birthday.

Our main complaint was that to be charged 100 Euros for a week of wi-fi use was over the top and not the service we would have expected. In many lesser hotels, wi-fi is free and in this day and age when it is so essential, the Hotel should review its charging policy.

The other minor issue we had was that we were told by a staff member that we did not need to book the restaurant for the next night only to go down and find it was full. Nevertheless, it was not a major inconvenience and was partly our own fault for not booking anyway.

The concierge (in fact we dealt with three different people in that department) was very helpful and helped us find some excellent restaurants around Berlin. Assistance with things to do, bike hire and the like was also first rate.

The Bebel Bar was an excellent place for a pre-dinner drink or one after a long day of sight-seeing, as was the roof-top terrace bar.

The Hotel is very well located for all the key sights and is close to various underground stations.

We would return without doubt.

Dear Fairbutselective,

Thank you very much for you kind comment here on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in Berlin. I appreciate your feedback in respect of the internet costs.

I hope this isolated issue will not deter you from returning to Hotel de Rome and I do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back in not too distant future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We weren't staying at this hotel, but a taxi driver recommended we try the rooftop terrace. Wow! Wonderful view, great service, exclusive atmosphere (non-guests need to ask at the front desk to get access, room key required for the elevator) and a great spot to watch the sun set on a summer evening.

Overlooks the opera house, the museum island and the Humbolt University buildings, and you get a great vista of the construction site of the new museum.

Lovely spot for pre-dinner cocktails.

1  Thank david1949

Dear david1949,

Thank you very much for your comments here on TripAdvisor. I hope you and you family had a save trip back home to Australia. I am very glad to read that you enjoyed our rooftop terrace and the atmosphere. Indeed it is beautifil up there and the view is spectacular.

I do hope that on your next trip to Berlin you will come back to visit us again at Hotel de Rome!

With best regrds,

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

5* meets tradition meets modern design.
Special features:
- magnificent roof terrace
- amazing cocktails using fresh fruits in the slick bar
- pool in the old bank vault
Sir Rocco Forte at his usual :-)

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear FromDtotheWorld,

Thank you so much short but specific evaluation of the Hotel de Rome here on TripAdvisor! I was very glad to read about it and look forward to welcoming you again in not to distant future.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I recently took my family to the Hotel de Rome and we loved it. Great location- walking distance to the museums, great restaurants and shopping, historical points like Checkpoint Charlie and Reichstag. Perfect scale- bigger than boutique hotels, but far smaller than the classic luxury big brands. Wonderful design and decoration, including some stunning artwork. Great service- the concierge made great suggestions and followed up our questions with emails linking to relevant websites and the bartender knew our names on the second night. Great spa with a beautiful lap pool. Berlin is a very cool city and the Hotel de Rome is a very cool place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear AAlisberg,

Thank your so much for your fantastic ranking and your great evaluation here on TripAdvisor!

I hope you enjoyed the Hotel de Rome and you and your family will keep in good memory the city of Berlin.

With best regards,