“ARROGANT and Sloppy service-throughout”
Review of Hotel de Rome

Ranked #12 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We checked in jan 16th for a 3 day stay.
Beeing an LHW UNLIMITED member,you are supposed to get some perks;;
we where assigned an upgraded room an the unique local experience was a 10 e voucher
against the bar bill,and 3small oranges,of which 2 where rotten.....Not very impressive
What happened to the special attention and amenties this membership entiteles you too?

The reception staff was neither friendly nor accomodating.
I am 194 cm tall and most beds in this hotel have bed boards at the end of the bed,so in my case it means i have to sleep twisted across,not very comfortable,also not for my wife.

-we requested something from housekeeping at 19.30,but by 0130 it had still not arrived
-breakfast is boring and same offerings everyday.,service was not existing,,
On two days,we experienced guests arriving after us,got their coffees long before us..
Egg benedict was too hard to eat..
-My wifes bathrobe had make -up on the collar and some private notes in the pockets
from the previous guest

We informed the receptionist about all these matters upon checking out,as well as other disapointing incidentsa,but no follow up has been done,,so we will never set foot here again,
(it was our 3 stay)
Hardly any our city in Europe do you find so many 5 star hotels at good rates and it will be easy to find an replacement.
The only excemption is the whole CONCIERGE team and SOME of the doormen/bellboys
;they where great and attentive and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Tomm F
Hotel-de-Rome-37, General Manager at Hotel de Rome, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Tomm F

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor about your stay at Hotel de Rome.

I want to take this opportunity to personally apologize for the lack of service and attention you experienced. Please be assured that I am very concerned about the comfort and wellbeing of our guests and I highly regret that we could not fulfill your expectations regarding the LHW Unlimited benefits and our breakfast service. Please be assured that this has been taken in a serious light and I have spoken to the according department heads to avoid any similar reoccurrence in the future.

I was very happy about your comment regarding our concierge team and already passed it on to the colleagues.

I hope these issues will not deter you from returning to Hotel de Rome and I do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back in not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Thies Sponholz

Write a ReviewReviews (1,371)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you're used to 5 star and the luxury that comes with it - this is not for you. The service isn't the best, they don't pay attention to customers (except the receptionist). The spa service...what can I say...too bad...no fresh water, no glasses, no tea, used towels everywhere...The hotel is so old and need some repair. What about food? It´ s overpriced and not so tasty. And what about breakfasts? Don ´t go if you're in a hurry...really...Overall I suggest if you are not fussy then this is a good place to stay as i would rate it between 4 star.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DonnaPedroDeLaVedro
Hotel-de-Rome-37, General Manager at Hotel de Rome, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear DonnaPedroDeLaVedro

First of all I hope you had a pleasant journey back home and want to thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay at Hotel de Rome.

With regards to your comments about the general service I would like to offer my sincere apologies. I assure you that your comments have been taken in the most serious light and I have spoken to the according heads of department.

I hope your experience will not deter you from returning to Hotel de Rome and I do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to re-establish your trust in our quality of service.

Thies Sponholz

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I do stay in a number of RF Hotels. This one is currently the best . Why?
-the Hotel has a very special charme
- the location is AAA
- the rooms are very nice and they are clean!
-the housekeeping is doing a great job inkeeping it up to the stadard
- the frienliness of the staff is above average
- Breakfast is absolutly fantastic ( choice and präsentation)
.the top floor Bar/ lounge gives you an excellent view and in summer its a place to hang out

I will be back soon

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Hotel-de-Rome-37, PA to GM at Hotel de Rome, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear R-pP B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your excellent feedback about your stay at Hotel de Rome and hope you had a safe trip home.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us and that you have been pleased with our service and facilities, especially with our staff and the breakfast.

We look forward welcoming you soon back to Berlin!

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have used the spa here and it is really top notch. I have never stayed in a room but those I know love it. Reception areas are beautiful and downstairs bar very cool but friendly, good cocktails.

Avoid the roof bar, cocktails are really bad. Watery champagne orientated summer drinks. I have had 2 bad experiences, my wife went with guests and had the same. She was sensible and got a waiter to go and get a nice drink from the downstairs bar.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Philip R

Dear Mr. Philip R,

Thank you very much for taking the time and letting us know how you felt at Hotel de Rome! We are very glad to read that you loved our Spa, the public areas and our Bebel bar.

We would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the service you experienced at our roof top terrace. Be assured that we have spoken to the according head of department in order to improve this service.

With best regards,

Hotel de Rome

We look forward welcoming you soon again at Hotel de Rome and remain at your full disposal for anything you may require in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My parents, sister and I stayed at the Hotel de Rome for 3 nights between Christmas and New Year. We found the hotel service and facilities absolutely excellent. The spa is very luxuirious and relaxing and the breakfast is amongst the best I've ever had in a hotel (huge range of pastries, cured meats, smoked fish, cheeses, jams, fruits, etc plus very friendly and relaxed service).

The evening concierge, Anke was superb. My parents were trying to find the name of a relatively obscure artist they knew had done work in Berlin, and she not only managed to find the name, but also sent a letter with photos and suggested places to go within hours of their query. Another concierge gave me tips on a great running route, which I really enjoyed, and their tips for restaurants and activities were superb.

The only thing I would fault with this hotel is its apparent obsession with cleaning your room. Our towels (even those unused) were changed daily, as were our sheets. We weren't given the option to keep them for the duration of our stay, which was a bit of a disappointment. It would have been good to have seen a bit more consideration for the environment at the hotel, but otherwise, it could not be faulted.

All the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, and we were very pleased with the quality and care with which this hotel is run. I would absolutely recommend it!

Room Tip: First floor rooms have very high ceilings and are quite grand. 4th floor had good views though!

Dear Mrs. Hammond,

Greetings from Berlin!

First and foremost, thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor concerning your recent stay with us at Hotel de Rome. We apreciate you took time to comment about us and are very glad that you and your family had a wonderful time in Berlin!

We do hope to welcome you in the near future again at Hotel de Rome!

Best regrads,

Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed here as a family on the Family Christmas package, which is fantastic value (two rooms for the price of one).
This is a high quality hotel - very comfortable and clean rooms, beautiful public spaces, great food. Concierge service is outstanding.
But ... the rest of the service was just 'not quite right'.
Our package was not reigstered properly in the system - so we kept being asked to pay for things that were included, like breakfast. Breakfast service was very inefficient with items forgotten or very slow to arrive - it took strong words to sort things out on the first day. Service over the beautiful Christmas Eve dinner and also afternoon tea was equally haphazard - items forgotten, wrong items brought, trying to tell us that we had ordered something different to what we had (we speak German - so nothing eas lost in translation).
There doesn't seem to be really strong management - either of the restaurant or reception. With strong management and discipline, this place could be absolutely amazing. But it was a bit irritating - so beware!
Also be careful of your package - the packages are sometimes so complicated that the hotel can't administer them properly. We had this same problem with the sister hotel. Villa Kennedy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Hotel-de-Rome-37, PA to GM at Hotel de Rome, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear kt 11Australia,

We sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you have experienced and are truly sorry that the service at the Restaurant and the Reception was not as you expected it to be.

Please be assured that we take your feedback very seriously, we do hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you and you family.

We look forward welcoming you again in the not too distant future and remain.

with best regards from Berlin,

Hotel de Rome Team

Reviewed December 21, 2012

4 of us stayed here for a weekend and this hotel has to be one of the best we've ever stayed in. It's a new hotel with an old facade close to the centre of Berlin.The staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly and the rooms are large and really comfortably furnished. The bar is a good size, breakfast is a really nice buffet (not too expensive for the quality of the food), and they do a really good afternoon tea - great to relax after a hard day's sightseeing. The hotel has a really nice pool/spa/sauna complex, not too large but just right. The concierge's recommendations on where to eat and hot to visit the sights made our 3 days very easy. I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

3  Thank Divaphoto
Hotel-de-Rome-37, PA to GM at Hotel de Rome, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Divaphoto,

thank you for staying at Hotel de Rome!

We appreciate you took the time to comment about our Hotel on Tripadvisor and are delighted to read that you have been pleased with our services and facilities.

We wish you a happy New Year 2013!

With best regards from Berlin,