“Spacious, clean, good travel links”

Novum Hotel City B Berlin Centrum
Ranked #188 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Cardiff, Wales
“Spacious, clean, good travel links”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Room 415. A very large light airy double room facing onto Bülowstraße. The hotel is directly opposite Bülowstraße UBann station for easy transport links. A warm welcome from staff, property is clean and well maintained. Very comfortable bed and powerful shower. We stayed in summer and slept with windows open which meant that there was a lot of road noise from cars, sirens and the UBann trains. Closing the double glazed windows effectively kept the noise out but there is no air con so we kept them open and slept well despite the noise. The room has a kitchenette with fridge, hob and kettle but strangely no cups, plates or cutlery so was not used. Good continental breakfast in pleasant dining room.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Rich J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We absolutely loved this apartment in Berlin. My husband, three adult children and I spent 2 nights here and everyone loved it. Though it only had one bathroom, it was spacious, clean, and also had a little kitchenette and balcony. The other MAJOR PLUS was the subway station right across the street, which was incredibly handy in getting around Berlin and its environs. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: We chose the big corner room with windows covering two walls. When windows are open, noise from stre...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Leppavirta, Finland
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel two times and we are pleased with it. Its location is wonderful and it is very easy to reach by U-bahn or by bus. The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished in a scandinavian style. The breakfast buffet is good and worth money. The stuff are very polite but friendly and very helpful. So we recommend this hotel to all who want a nice hotel in a low budget in the city center.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, and was overall happy! The price was ideal for the services and state of the room.

Clean rooms, good breakfast (for €7.50pp), friendly staff at the reception and the breakfast room.

Only downside: I stayed at the period when Berlin had 30 degrees Celcius and of course most German hotels do not have the air-conditioning facilities to assist their clients to feel comfortable in periods of warm weather. Also, the mattresses of the beds in my room weren't the best, but other rooms (where friends stayed) had much better ones.

I would recommend it as a hotel to stay in Berlin if you have a limited budget. It is next to a Metro station as well as a bus stop. And major sightseeing places (ie Brandenburg Gate) are within walking distance (20-30')...

Room Tip: Make sure you ask rooms that are not facing the main Postsdamer Street, as it can get very noisy. Al...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Clane, Ireland
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel as an extension to a business trip I made to Berlin, I had stayed at another hotel for the business end of my trip but changed to City B hotel when my wife joined me for three days at the end of my trip. My first impression on checking in was very favourable. The girl on reception was very pleasant and helpful when I requested a change of room to a higher floor. Despite the hotel being full she looked and was able to move me. On entering the room I was impressed with it size even if I was surprised by the lack of centre lighting in the room.
Having picked up my wife from the airport late that night and returned to the hotel later that night things then began to slowly go downhill from there. The main door was locked and access was through the electronic lock which did not appear to work. Luckily there was someone on reception as it is manned 24hrs over the W/E but he did wait a while before he came to open the door from the inside. The card worked on the room lock so I assume it was the mail lock that was the problem, I am not alone in this going by what other reviewers have posted. It was only then that we noticed the pillows or what the hotel supplied as pillows. They have absolutely no substance and although they look ok, as soon as you put your head on them they sink right down to nothing which is most uncomfortable. The Guest guide informs you that you can get extra pillows if needed from reception but on enquiring of this I was informed that there were extra pillows available but as the receptionist was the only staff on duty he could not leave the desk to get any. He was apologetic but could not help. With this being the case maybe it would be an idea to have some sort of storage where some pillows could be kept near to the reception so he would not have to leave. I asked him to make a note of my request for housekeeping in the morning. Climate control was advertised as a room facility but did not exist, room was soundproof but as you had to open the window because of no AC the sounds from outside were more that enough to make up for the lack of sounds coming from next door. When enquiring if a fan was available answer was "No we do not have fans for guest rooms", The previous hotel I stayed in did not have AC but did have fans available if requested.
Breakfast was sufficient, a good if somewhat basic selection but sufficient for what was needed to start your day. Staff in the breakfast room were friendly and helpful and extremely efficient.
On leaving for the day I enquired if my requested for pillows was left for housekeeping, the receptionist informed me that it was but "I will just take a note of it again just in case"
Location was good with the station just across the road but the "activities" at this station from 6pm onwards makes it a bit intimidating to walk through., not a fault of the hotel so this is not a criticism of the hotel but just something to bear in mind if you are looking for a place to stay.
On returning that evening there were no extra pillows in the room and when I required in reception I was told that the hotel was fully booked and that extra pillows were in limited supply but they would look to see if there was any available. 30 mins later housekeeping delivered one extra pillow and said that was all that was available. I could not fault the room for its cleanliness but maybe that was due to the poor lighting but to be honest the room and bathroom was both clean and fresh. The curtains were a bit thin which caused the room to be very bright from sunrise even with the electric shutters closed on both windows, windows were very large which let a very good amount of light into the room, great during the day, not so great during early morning and had good openings to allow good ventilation provided there was a bit of a breeze which during my stay there was not.
The worst I will save till last and I would be very surprised if this has not caused an injury to guests. The shower was at least 15/18 inch's off the floor. Hard enough to step into but trying to step out was an absolute nightmare. Stepping out on to the floor towel while wet is extremely dangerous and on one occasion each both myself and my wife slipped as we stepped out and were lucky sustain an injury. Apart from the frame of the shower there is nothing to hold on to as you step out. If you did slip I would not think that this frame would stop you from falling, I would be curious if the Hotel tried to charge you for damage if you pulled the frame down while trying to save yourself from injury. What possessed anybody to have a shower at this height is beyond me but I am sure it has to have resulted in some slips and falls at some stage. If the shower needs to be this high and the only reason I could see was to have access to the drain from the side as there was a small panel at the drain side of the shower, then there should be a step to enable you to get in and out safely. The floor tiles also should be more slip resistant or it could be just like every other hotel and have the shower tray at the floor level. The bathroom door did not close properly and needed a hard bang to get it to close, the internal lock on the door did not work but not a major problem as the door did lock from the outside.
All in all this hotel just has enough small issues to bring the experience of staying there down below what would make you want to come back, they are all quite easy to fix with a little thought with the exception of the shower which would make me not want to stay there again in its own right.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GerM2013
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel is very clean, right in front of a metro station and walking distance from Potsdamer platz. The staff is friendly and the room size is a little small.

The big problem is that the rooms don't have air conditioning, and it is very hot during the summer. During the day, it went up to 36 Celsius and at night it was 28... very hot to sleep with the windows open. That's why i would think it twice before staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed July 27, 2013

How to get there from Hauptbahnhof (if you plan to travel with train like we did):
Take a S-train to either Potzdamer Platz or Alexander Platz, from there shift to an U2 (U-bahn) with direction towards Ruhleben. Get of at "Bülowstrasse" and the hotel is right to the left. The ticket cost 2,40 euros (quite expensive!) and you can use this ticket to all transport in Berlin (train, bus, U-bahn).

The staff
Friendly and nice, speak english very well, helpfull.You can reach the staff in the reception until 11 pm / kl. 23.

Rooms
Clean, but very standard. No refrigerator/minibar, el-kettle. But fair compared to the price we payed.
Our room was facing the U-bahn, but the windows is quite isolated, so we weren't bothered by the traffic noise from the cars and the U-bahn. The only inconvenience thing was the white curtains, which lighted up the whole room with sunlight. We had the morning sun. I was glad that I had my sleeping mask with me. The room gets very hot and we didn't sleep with the windows open because of the traffic noise.

Breakfast
The hotel has a breakfast buffet for 7,5 euros. It was good compared to the price. As a Dane, we're used to eat wholewheat bread, and they have 3-4 kinds of wholewheat bread (also plain bread), so I was very pleased about that. Futhermore There where:
- youghurt (3 types)
- Cereal (4 types)
- fruit in bowl (not fresh though)
- fresh fruit (apples and kiwi)
- cheese and meat
- Jam (like 6 types of jams), honey and nutella
- Hardboiled eggs and scramble eggs
- Cucumber and tomato slices
- Fresh juice (in a jug) and sugary juice (in automat)
- There is a pot of coffee at every table, there are also a variety of tea
You can eat outside in the back-yard too.

Health
It is safe to drink from the water-tap in your room.

Location
The hotel is a bit far away from everything. We walked a lot, like 10 kilometers a day and had to take the u-bahn to get to areas like prenzlauerberg and kreutzberg. If you walk down to the u-bahn "nollenplatz" not far away from the hotel, there is a nice area with cafes and restaurant especially at night. The area is a place where homosexual is hanging out, but even though where are a straight couple we felt very welcome in this area. We especially liked a cafe called "Cafe Bezio" where we enjoyed our drinks. Further down there is a indian restaurant which is quite good and a vietnamiese and thai restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple