Old Town Apartments - Schoenhauser Allee
Ranked #48 of 356 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Me, my fiance and is friend were Driving around Europe from England. Berlin was our second stop. To be honest there wasn't much we wanted to do in Berlin so we only stayed for one night.

We got there quite late and the man actually waited for us which was nice & very friendly. Parking is limited? But we found a space about 5 minute walk away.

I was a bit disappointed really as I had a 20kg suitcase and there was no lifts!! We were only on the second floor I managed to drag my suitcase up the first floor but then gave up.

The room was OK. Very basic I don't know why I just wasn't looking forward to sleeping there, but it was absolutely fine. Quite a good sleep!

The room was open plan with 3 single beds.
With kitchen and dining room - Kitchen was all equipped but we didn't use any of it.

I have no complaints to be honest it was fine for one night.

We went out when we got there, it was dark it was quite hard to find our way around but ended up in a pizza place was very nice.

We seen the Berlin wall in the morning then went to Poland.

Theres not much to say as we were only here one night.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Old Town Apartments - Schoenhauser Allee

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed in the apartment for for a stag weekend. Apartment was basic 3 rooms , 3 beds to a room. Communal kitchen and bathroom between the 3 rooms. There was tea and coffee in the room. Also cutlery, pots and pans and an ironing hoard.

Apartment is a 10 minute walk from the market square which has lots of bars and restaurants. The square also has the Kilkenny Irish pub which shows live football. Next to our apartment was the Marrakesch shipshape lounge which was where I spent most of my time, it has an excellent atmosphere and is not to be missed. Check out my review on the Marrakech for more detail.

Tips/things to be aware off

Take towels with you, only small towels were supplied which were a nightmare.
If you want a proper cup of tea take some tea bags with you.
To save money on food there is a supermarket 2 minutes down the road.
Watch out for cyclists as they have lanes on the pavement.
Whene you arrive they will want a 35euro deposited from each person based on 8-9 people in an apartment. Any other questions message me.

Room Tip: If you are on the third of fourth floor there is a lot of stairs and no lifts so if you struggle the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The apartment was spotlessly clean, wooden floors, modern furniture. Really quiet, it felt like we had the block to ourselves.
The people that run the apartment have their offices downstairs and are really friendly and helpful and on hand for any questions, directions etc.
I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2014

in Sept 2013 My husband and I from Australia and my sister from UK (all seniors) stayed 6 nights in the 2 bedroom penthouse apartment at Metzer Strasser 8 . This was a clean , modern and spacious apartment in a good location. What made this a great place to stay was the wonderful staff. All our requests -small and large were dealt with by cheerful staff - nothing was too difficult. The location was excellent also with short walk to trains, a large supermarket and a variety of eating establishments. However we did our own meals in the apartment.
The apartment was light and airy, and very quiet , the two bedrooms especially large with excellent quality bedlinen. However a lack of wardrobe and bag racks made these rooms a bit frustrating.
There were a couple of disappointments for an apartment this size and this price - the television was not in sitting area but in one bedroom making it awkward for viewing( not that we wanted to often but the elections were on!) . There was not a dishwasher- not a problem so much for 3 of us but the apt is suppose to sleep 8 and cooking for 8 is a different matter. Also no clothes washing machine- the only apartment we stayed in on our European trip( and the most expensive) which did not have a washing machine or even a clothes rack for hand washing. That said ,the helpful staff quickly installed a clothes rack for us. We try to travel light and thus need to wash our clothes often.
But the kind staff and the cleanliness and good location made for a happy stay

Room Tip: use Google 'walk' to look closely at the location.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had 3 adults and 5 children (7-16) in Berlin for a week. No difficulty finding the place as it is only about 100 yards from a U bahn station one way and 400 from the other. I missed the fact that you had to go to another building to pick up the keys but after that hiccup everything went well. The person from OTA was helpful in pointing out the location of shops and the laundromat. In fact all the services are very close.
The apartment was clean and large so the kids had some room to spread out and the kitchen was well equipped. The proximity of the U bahn was great, 1 stop to Alexanderplatz (and therefore Unter den Linden and changes to other lines. Therefore we could even drop back during the day for a rest from sight seeing.
Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights and it was perfect. Very nice and clean, lots of space, and a friendly staff in a good location. The apartments are well equipped, perfect if you want to make breakfast or dinner yourself. The sleeping couch is actually pretty good, so even with 2 couples we had a very good time there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've stayed in this place twice. Once in the Winter and once in Summer (July 2013). They rent out nice apartments by the day. Why stay in a hotel when you can have your own flat in Berlin? The apartments have a kitchen with stove, fridge, toaster, and utensils. There also a room bathroom. The one my friend and I stayed in this past week had a nice hardwood floor with windows opening to a courtyard.

The price is not bad and the area is nice with lots of restaurants, grocery stores, and subway station within easy walking distance.

When I was there a couple of years ago, I had a room on an upper floor and it was very quiet. This time our place was on the first floor off the ground was at night we heard the music from the nearby cafes, and that was the only negative.

The people who run the business are very helpful and pleasant.

I'd stay there again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to sound, ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple