“Booked non-smoking room: got put in a smoking room”

Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre
Ranked #165 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I booked two nights in a non-smoking room at this hotel and when I checked in I was put in a smoking room. Nobody mentioned this as I was checking and it was only as I got to my room and smelled how much the room stank of cigarette smoke that I realised what had happened. I returned to the front desk to ask to be moved to a non-smoking room and was informed that there were no non-smoking rooms available, although I had booked one.

The hotel was not particularly helpful with my complaint very they did agree to move me to a non-smoking room the following night. I contacted Holiday Inn Express to complain about the incident and I was informed that the manager of the hotel would contact me the next day to rectify the situation. Nobody contacted me. When I was checking out I was asked if my stay was to my satisfaction. I let the desk clerk know what had happened. He said he was sorry but he did not offer to do anything about it. Afterwards I followed up with Holiday Inn Express and the next day the manager of the hotel contacted me and refunded me my first night's stay (I'm sure my company will be very pleased!)

Beyond this incident, the hotel was basic but functional and the breakfast buffet was decent. However there are lots of very good hotels in this area and so I will not be staying at this hotel again on my next business trip to Berlin.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank spitze1982
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear spitze1982,
Thank you for taking time to write a review.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
On your next trip to Berlin, we would be pleased to welcome you back at the Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Center.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed here during the Berlin Marathon, as this was one of the least expensive options for marathon weekend! We were more than pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and comfortable. There was free wi-fi in the lobby, so you could sit at the bar and enjoy a drink while checking email from home. Breakfast was much better than expected with hot and cold options, more than we could ever want. We were very close to the metro as well as many restaurants and all major sites. I would definitely stay here again for a great value in Berlin! The only downside was that there is no wi-fi in the rooms, only a LAN cable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kels2003,
I thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Berlin.
We are very pleased that you liked our hotel and were pleased with the location and our value for money and with our staff.
I would really appreciate it if you would choose us again on your next stay in Berlin

Reviewed October 8, 2013

we have stayed at this hotel for 4 nights last summer,
this is a good and comfort hotel, with all the facilities you need.
the rooms are small but functional in a very good way.
we also took breakfast and it was good and satisfying.
the big advantage of the hotel is the location, 10 minutes walk from the Potsdamer Platz and 5 minutes walk from the near S-bahn train-station!
there is also a super-market near the hotel and a very nice Turkish restaurant across the street.
so bottom-line - we recommend it for anyone who wants a nice clean hotel that also under the holiday-inn brand name (that's also important that you know there is a 'parent' for it).
and also, it's location is amazing! so go travel Berlin :-)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ori Z

Dear Ori Z,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

After staying in a number of hotels in Munich, Prague, Budapest and Berlin some of which were much more expensive, this hotel was a very pleasant surprise. I had expected a very compact room but instead the room was spacious and a pleasant place to relax and unwind at the end of a day. TV gave access to UK TV stations so it was possible to watch something other than news for a while.
Tea/Coffee making facilities. Very clean; although furnishing is inexpensive everything works as it should. Free access to Computers and internet. Very helpful staff. Good breakfast.
Close to Jewish Museum and Checkpoint Charlie. Bus trip to other sights.

Room Tip: I had requested a quiet room The room I was given was next to the lift and noise of the lift motor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Frances M,
First of all, our staff was very pleased with your praise. Thank you for it.
Our staff is always there for our guests to answer questions and to help them feel welcome.
I´m happy that you enjoy your stay and will comeback.
On your next trip to Berlin, we would be pleased to welcome you back!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

good location near a subway station that is one stop to potsdammerplatz, two to brandenburg gate and easy walk to checkpoint charlie. generous free breakfast buffet, room was simple but clean. wi-fi could be expanded to the rooms though.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Kate1507,

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, ok rooms and fine breakfast. The location perfect for us (the Berlin Marathon) Quite arear. The price was ok compared too other hotels (but prices are raised in the marathon weekend ;(
Fee wifi in the reception, but you have too pay at the room (cable)

Dear Buurskov,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel.
I´m happy that you like our rooms, our breakfast, our free wifi and our central location.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was staying one night for a business meeting and this hotel is quite knew and the location is 10 min walking distance to check piont charly. The reception staff is very friendy and helpful. The room was basic but clean, good firm bed and very quiet. The free breakfast is good with plenty to make a day going. Definitely a very good address for a short visit for private or business in Berlin and highly to recommend. Only small negative thing was, that Wifi was only in lobby, but ok it gave me a reason to watch a football game at night instead of getting bothered with emails.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business