“Average Three Star Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre
Ranked #176 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a three star hotel with a perfect location and great staff. The rooms are very small and there are not many amenities.

When we arrived, they only had smoking rooms available. Both of these rooms reeked of cigarettes and really exacerbated my allergies. I had to leave this hotel immediately and find accommodation elsewhere.

The staff is very helpful. The hotel was completely full with so many visitors and there were only two people at the front desk. These poor young ladies were being overworked but still had smiles on their faces. They still went out of their way to help us to find accommodation elsewhere.

Antionette Wein provided five star service. She provided us the contact information for the Crowne Plaza and Intercontinental hotels not too far away in West Berlin where we were able to find suitable accommodations for our trip.

Overall, this is a three star hotel with an excellent central location. The hotel is not very expensive so you cannot really expect that much. If you have never stayed in a three star hotel before then this hotel is NOT for you. I certainly learned my lesson here and will never book a three star hotel ever again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Kikip 7,

thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.
I´m very happy that you like our location and our price.
But the best on your review is the comment about my colleagues at the front office!
I will share your review with the two lady´s.

And i hope you give us a new chanche on your next trip to Berlin.

Best regards

Ferdinand Lechner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,530)

Reviewed May 20, 2013

A holiday Inn Express is what it is. A reasonable value hotel in a fairly good position, being only a short walk from Potsdamer Platz.

The rooms are basic but do include tae and coffee facilities which are a plus. The breakfast, continental cold cuts, fruit, bread, cakes and pastries is OK(ish), was hoping to get a some of the famous German Sausage, but not available. No one asks for your room number here so anyone could pop in for a free breakfast! Perhaps this was why it was so crowded!

There is also a bar next to the reception area with lounge chairs where you can relax.

The reception area have a couple of PCs free for use so you can print out your boarding passes, but the most pleasing thing was the helpful staff on reception. The 2 girls there when I booked in during the afternoon of 07 May where especially helpful with very good linguistic skills - note to the management - keep hold of them, they are a great asset to you.

Berlin is not a city that is really walkable. I did something I don't usually do, which is to take the tourist bus and note where the sights are. It is a hop-on, hop-off service running every 10 mins., and the ticket lasts for 48 hours. After that you can use the integrated bus and train service which is very good and very cheap - a trip or trips can be used on a single ticket for 2 hours for only 2.40 €.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ianandpasturesnew
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear ianandpasturesnew,

thank you very much for your nice review.
I´m very happy that you enjoy your stay, our breakfast, the cental location and our service.

I will share this nice comment with the both lady´s of the reception.
And i hope that you come again to us on your next berlintrip.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed here 6 nights and have little to complain about. Room was compact but newly remodeled.
Didn't spend much time in the room as there is so much to see in Berlin.
The property's location is walking distance to Potsdamer Platz, Martin Groupis, Terror and Jewish museums. Bus service is a block away as well as the U Bahn. Easy to get to the Museum Island and the Culture Area. There's a grocery store across the street and a number of decent restaurants.
Free wi-fi in the lobby - not in the room. That's Ok with me as I paid 23.00 euros a day in Rome.
Good breakfast selections and a nice bar in the lobby.
Staff was very helpful and friendly. Would stay here again.
Con: No body lotion in the bathroom. Yes, there's a empty lot next to the property but it probably won't be there for long as Berlin is in a building boom.

Room Tip: Request a room that does overlook the empty lot.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank monreale1101
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear monreale1101,

thank you for taking time to write this review.
I´m happy that you enjoy your stay and like our remodeled rooms, the cental location of our hotel,our breakfast and our friendly staff.

I´m sorry for the empty lotion on our room, i will share your comment with our housekeeping.

On your next trip to Berlin, we would be pleased to welcome you back!

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We asked for a quiet, non smoking room on a low floor. What we got was a room above the bar that was noisy in the evenings til 01.30 and the smoke( which rises) filled our room while we were trying to sleep. It's supposed to be a non smoking hotel. However, location good, breakfast good and fresh (a little like a cattle market when hotel full) and the rooms are kept clean. Staff very nice.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
I´m happy that you enjoy your stay nevertheless.
And I´m happy that you like our staff, our central location and our breakfast.

On your next trip to Berlin, we would be pleased to welcome you back!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

....the Hotel could be too, if there would be a few changes. The first is on the outside of the Hotel (even thought this is not on Hotel property...empty lot next to Hotel) it is an absolute mess, trashy and makes for poor first impression. The young man on the reception desk when we arrived had wrong charges for my reservation (which was already paid in full) for the 2 room we had reserved (charged for 4 and 8 adults). Got that sort of straightened out the next day. The room was clean and so was the bed, all of that a good value. The bed "small" (we are used to a king size). The Bathroom looked clean, but had leftover toiletries from previous guest. The dining room was okay and the food good (typical european foods); just very crowed as a large group of italian students were there. On the last day they were gone and the rolls and bread were left over from the day before (warmed up to refresh and some burned). The location is good to public transport and areas of interest to see. Except for the young man when we arrived, the personell was friendly and helpful. I would stay there again and since I'm still not sure whether my billing was correct, I would just make a downpayment instead of fully paying ahead of time. I would however recommend staying at the HIE Center City. Was there with husband and two friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Monika C
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Monica C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.
I´m happy that you like our rooms, the central location and our breakfast.
I would like to apologize for your inconvenience at your check in and I´m sorry that you mean that you have leftover toiletries from a previous guest. ( The toiletries is a promotion for our guests).

I would be very pleased if you would choose our hotel again for your next Berlin trip.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night back in march '13, Its a pretty standard HI Express, maybe even a little better than standard - I went down to reception to borrow an iron and staff said they'd deliver it to my room - yay!! In all the other HIExpresses I always had to collect my iron and I must say I really didnt expect it delivered :) To be honest, I was mostly out in town, which is easily reachable on foot as well as by underground - there are 2 stations close to the hotel, supermarket just opposite the hotel is great and cheap. I can only praise night staff - very professional young men :) Breakfast was good, plenty of choice of cereal, breads, yoghurt was lovely, and the best bit was the almond cake - yummmm!!! The only reason I marked it down a bit is because I booked a double non-smoking room and was guaranteed it untill 6pm of the day of arrival - but when I arrived at 3.30 pm, I didnt get it. Ended up in an accessible smoking double, and though Im a smoker myself and didnt really mind, I dont usually smoke where I sleep, Oh well, it was just one night, I didnt die and still got my double bed, so all is good and I would stay here again :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank moonlightam

Dear moonlightam,

thank you for this positiv review about our hotel, our staff , our service and our breakfast.
I´m very happy that you enjoy your stay and that you will come back on your next Berlin trip.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We have just returned from 4 nights in this hotel and we were really impressed with everything. We were expected and welcomed warmly by the staff - this welcome was present every morning and when we returned each evening. The buffet breakfast was lovely - plenty to choose from and available from 6.30am. We were on the second floor just opposite the lift. It was a little noisy with loud voices but we only heard these on our first night. The room was cleaned daily - our only issue, the bed creaked at one side, every time my husband moved.
When we landed at the airport we caught the S Bahn to Anhalter station, changing at Sudkreuz. This cost us just over 3 Euros each. Going back we caught a taxi, due to an early flight, which was at the hotel within 2 mins of being requested. This cost us 31 Euros. Hotel is within easy walking distance of Topographie des Terrors, Checkpoint Charlie and is very handy for S Bahn stations to explore the city.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 03 are opposite the lift
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy L

Dear Lucy L,

thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I´m very happy that you like our hotel, the staff, our breakfast and our location.
I will share your comment with your staff and hope on your next trip to berlin you stay again at your hotel.

Guest Service Assistant Sales