“Great location, we had a great stay other than the room location.”

Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre
Ranked #182 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We asked for a quiet, non smoking room on a low floor. What we got was a room above the bar that was noisy in the evenings til 01.30 and the smoke( which rises) filled our room while we were trying to sleep. It's supposed to be a non smoking hotel. However, location good, breakfast good and fresh (a little like a cattle market when hotel full) and the rooms are kept clean. Staff very nice.

• Stayed: May 2013
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
I´m happy that you enjoy your stay nevertheless.
And I´m happy that you like our staff, our central location and our breakfast.

On your next trip to Berlin, we would be pleased to welcome you back!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

....the Hotel could be too, if there would be a few changes. The first is on the outside of the Hotel (even thought this is not on Hotel property...empty lot next to Hotel) it is an absolute mess, trashy and makes for poor first impression. The young man on the reception desk when we arrived had wrong charges for my reservation (which was already paid in full) for the 2 room we had reserved (charged for 4 and 8 adults). Got that sort of straightened out the next day. The room was clean and so was the bed, all of that a good value. The bed "small" (we are used to a king size). The Bathroom looked clean, but had leftover toiletries from previous guest. The dining room was okay and the food good (typical european foods); just very crowed as a large group of italian students were there. On the last day they were gone and the rolls and bread were left over from the day before (warmed up to refresh and some burned). The location is good to public transport and areas of interest to see. Except for the young man when we arrived, the personell was friendly and helpful. I would stay there again and since I'm still not sure whether my billing was correct, I would just make a downpayment instead of fully paying ahead of time. I would however recommend staying at the HIE Center City. Was there with husband and two friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Monika C
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Monica C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.
I´m happy that you like our rooms, the central location and our breakfast.
I would like to apologize for your inconvenience at your check in and I´m sorry that you mean that you have leftover toiletries from a previous guest. ( The toiletries is a promotion for our guests).

I would be very pleased if you would choose our hotel again for your next Berlin trip.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night back in march '13, Its a pretty standard HI Express, maybe even a little better than standard - I went down to reception to borrow an iron and staff said they'd deliver it to my room - yay!! In all the other HIExpresses I always had to collect my iron and I must say I really didnt expect it delivered :) To be honest, I was mostly out in town, which is easily reachable on foot as well as by underground - there are 2 stations close to the hotel, supermarket just opposite the hotel is great and cheap. I can only praise night staff - very professional young men :) Breakfast was good, plenty of choice of cereal, breads, yoghurt was lovely, and the best bit was the almond cake - yummmm!!! The only reason I marked it down a bit is because I booked a double non-smoking room and was guaranteed it untill 6pm of the day of arrival - but when I arrived at 3.30 pm, I didnt get it. Ended up in an accessible smoking double, and though Im a smoker myself and didnt really mind, I dont usually smoke where I sleep, Oh well, it was just one night, I didnt die and still got my double bed, so all is good and I would stay here again :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank moonlightam

Dear moonlightam,

thank you for this positiv review about our hotel, our staff , our service and our breakfast.
I´m very happy that you enjoy your stay and that you will come back on your next Berlin trip.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We have just returned from 4 nights in this hotel and we were really impressed with everything. We were expected and welcomed warmly by the staff - this welcome was present every morning and when we returned each evening. The buffet breakfast was lovely - plenty to choose from and available from 6.30am. We were on the second floor just opposite the lift. It was a little noisy with loud voices but we only heard these on our first night. The room was cleaned daily - our only issue, the bed creaked at one side, every time my husband moved.
When we landed at the airport we caught the S Bahn to Anhalter station, changing at Sudkreuz. This cost us just over 3 Euros each. Going back we caught a taxi, due to an early flight, which was at the hotel within 2 mins of being requested. This cost us 31 Euros. Hotel is within easy walking distance of Topographie des Terrors, Checkpoint Charlie and is very handy for S Bahn stations to explore the city.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 03 are opposite the lift
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy L

Dear Lucy L,

thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I´m very happy that you like our hotel, the staff, our breakfast and our location.
I will share your comment with your staff and hope on your next trip to berlin you stay again at your hotel.

Guest Service Assistant Sales

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in February 2013 as an official guest of the Berlinale festival. Problems started right on the first day of my stay: there was no wi-fi in the hotel (!!! in the middle of the international festival and in the buisness area of Berlin!!!). As I had a MacBook I could not use the cable connection, it didn´t fit in. When I asked the staff to help me because I really needed internet for my work, they just said next year the wi-fi would be provided. I also didn´t like the hotel at all - for quite a high price you get a small room with no closet or wardrobe, also no minibar. The third day of my stay my room was robed as well as rooms of two other guests on the same floor - we all had the same type of MacBook and Apple devices and it happened while we were at a screening, so it could not have been coincidence. The hotel staff was not helpfull at all, they seemed to hide the accident as much as possible. They didn´t even help us with communication in German with the police. And didn´t say sorry at all, horrible situation. I still didn´t get compensation from their insurance company and I also had problem to reach any responsible of the hotel - only when I contact the CEO of Holiday Inn Europe, somebody finally wrote me an apologize and began to look after the case. Never ever!

Room Tip: I don´t recommand the hotel at all, anyway if you go there check the room and refuse any t the end o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tereza S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Tereza S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I sincerely regret that this recent visit of your was a disappointment due to the issues experienced with the Internet connection and shortcomings received in the service of the staff. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention.

Regards,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here one night after staying the previous night in the Marriott down the street near Potsdammer Platz. I would much rather have stayed at the Marriott one more night instead of here, but was meeting up with a group that was staying here so had to switch. The room was very basic. Clean, but nothing fancy. Breakfast was very basic for Germany. Wifi was not available in the rooms, so our entire group was bunched up in the lobby (where it was) checking our email, etc... Not exactly convenient, and the connection was not very fast. It was password protected and the desk staff gave out a couple different codes that were apparently in the process of switching over to new ones, making it a pain for several of us to connect. It is in a mostly residential neighborhood and is a good 15 minute walk or so to Potsdammer Platz. There is a small neighborhood grocery store across the street for food and drinks and there are a couple restaurants just across the street within a block that werent too bad for a decent meal. Not anything worthy of a review, but okay. You are about a ten minute walk from the Topography of Terror and probably 20 minutes to the Brandenburg gate from here. If I were in Berlin again, I would choose a hotel with better access to restaurants, transportation connections, and sights than this one. But with central access comes higher cost as well. To me its worth it. It was okay, but not good enough to get me to come back again when in Berlin.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
I shared your comments with our front office .

On your next trip to Berlin, we would be pleased to welcome you back!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel is in good location, and easy to walk to many of the sites of interest. There are a couple of good restaurants within walking distance and a supermarket just opposite. We had 4 nights here in a room on the 3rd floor at the front of the building. The room was an adequate size, clean and tidy with little sign of wear and tear. The hotel was too hot and as the AC did not cool, we had to leave the window open to try and keep the room cool enough to sleep in. Traffic noise was not such a problem (you expect that in a city centre hotel), but the noise from the people congregating outside to drink and smoke was obtrusive. As others have commented, the presence of school parties is a problem, with the foyer being crowded and noisy in the evenings, and breakfast getting a little crowded. The breakfast was excellent with a good range of items and continually topped up. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay again if in Berlin, but would ask for a room at the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front to avoid traffic and people noise. Also ask for a room away from...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DrDee-1
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for this review.
I´m happy that you enjoy your stay and like our central location, the rooms, our staff and our breakfast.
Thank you for give us the information about the AC, I will share your comment with our staff.
And I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

I hope you come back if you stay the next time at berlin.

gladly to a room at the back!