1,687 results
All reviews potsdamer platz checkpoint charlie hi express netto supermarket ice machine boiled eggs minute walk continental breakfast s bahn the breakfast area the sofa bed sony centre walking distance short stay cold meats public transport yogurt
Reviewed March 21, 2012

centrally located ,good for business travel,hospitality was very good ,nice selection of break fast,,no frills simple hotel.

Room Tip: third floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SINGARAMMOHAN
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Centrally located hotel, room was very clean. Metro station 5 minutes walk. Supermarket and good italian restaurant right across the street. Decent breakfast, free internet in the lobby. Whenever I travel for work I use Holiday inn express. Will recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank adrian S
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I wanted a nice property in berlin and the HI EX was consistent with what I expected. There aren't many frills in this type of lodging but they do a much better job at presenting a clean modern room than many smaller independent hotels.

I also enjoyed the breakfast - although no real hot items the variety was good and for some reason the croissants were to die for!

Location is also great. Walking distance to Potzdamer Place, Sony Centre, Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin Wall monument, etc.

Room Tip: the road in front is somwhat noisy-request a higher floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank TheCaliTraveler
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I used my Priority Club points to book 3 nights at this hotel and my in-laws came along to keep us company (they had to pay for their room though :-)

Having been to Berlin only once a couple of months after the wall came down, I knew nothing about the area, what the hotel would be like or anything else.

We arrived late afternoon and were immediately struck by the friendliness and efficiency of the reception staff. I felt the need to practise my German which is rather poor and they were patient with me and helped me when I got stuck. They could have just changed to English because all the staff were much better in English than I was in German!

The room itself was the usual basic HIE room but comfortable and spotlessly clean. As usual, the room was too warm so we kept the window open (we also enjoy fresh air) but it is a busy road so we struggled a bit to sleep the first night. After that, we had got used to the noise and slept like logs.

Breakfast was superb. On two of the mornings, it was very busy but the personnel were continually refreshing the food, breads and juices. The food was fresh and tasty, the coffee hot and generally, more so as it is part of a very reasonable price, the breakfast is excellent.

The bar is small and, if the reception is busy you may have to wait a bit for service but they will get to you as soon as they possibly can. Prices are what you would expect to pay in an hotel and not too much over the top.

The hotel is very close to many of the tourist sites, both those in the guide books and those that do not rate a mention. The Topographie des Terrors Documentation Centre is just around the corner; Checkpoint Charlie is just a 5 to 10 minute stroll away and don't forget to go to Fassbender & Rausch chocolate factory just a couple of minutes from CC. Even if you do not eat chocolate, some of the things they do with it are fantastic. Take your camera with you.

A little hint, if you want to go to the Reichstag (more commonly known as the Bundestag now) you must make a booking on-line (https://visite.bundestag.de/BAPWeb/pages/createBookingRequest.jsf?lang=en). Best to do this at least 3 days before to make sure that you can get a convenient time. They will send you a confirmation e-mail and you need to print this out and take it with you. Also make sure that you take photographi id with you - passport or drivers licence. We got there about 30 minutes before our entry time and were allowed straight in but in peak tourist periods they may not be quite as flexible. All I can say is do not let the preparation admin put you off because it is well worth it and it is free after all.

There are a couple of really good restaurants very close to the hotel (it only does breakfast but has no problem with you bringing in take-aways if that it what you want). I can recommend the Cafe Stresemann (cash only - no cards) which does German food cooked freshly when you order and the Diomira Italian restaurant (if you are in the back part of this restaurant, your card will probably not work but there is usually no problem in the front - guess it must just be the signal).

Back to the hotel, we checked out Saturday morning although our flight was only later in the afternoon. The hotel has a locked luggage room where they will keep your luggage for you until you are ready to go. Gave us a chance to have another walk around and even discover something which we had missed in the previous 2 days!

To sum up, Berlin is a must to visit and we plan to go back again in the near future; the Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre is an ideal place to stay if you are on a budget, the staff are excellent, the beer is quaffable, the food edible (helps if, like me, you enjoy German food which can be quite stodgy), the public transport excellent and most things are easy to get to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard. No passing traffic but there is a lorry which comes in very early every morning (deliveries?)
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AnorakRay
Reviewed March 7, 2012

9 minutes from Potsdamer Platz says it all. Rooms are bright but minimalistic to the extreme. The bed is a bit hard (and we like hard beds) so welcome to Germany. Tight for two people if you plan to spend more than a day or two. Friendly and very helpful front staff. Decent breakfast. The place was full so it is more a business hotel than for tourists.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple