Lux 11
  • Pool
$319
$276
  • Restaurant
All reviewsroom was ready earlyopen showeran executive suiteperfect locationberlin tv towerdvd playersmall kitchenetteshower areaemailed the hotelalexanderplatz stationmitte districtboutique hotelcoffee machinealexander platzwalking distanceroom was spaciousearly check
Reviewed August 3, 2012

on our first visit to berlin, we decided to stay at lux 11 based on several good reviews and guidebook recommendations. sufficeth to say we were not disappointed. it has a fantastic location in the heart of berlin's uber-trendy mitte district - and you can easily walk to many of the bars, cafes, shops and restaurants in hackersher markt and the surrounding areas. you can also walk to the museums and historical sights that are at the core of any visit to berlin. most conveniently, it is also a stone's throw from the rosa luxemburg platz u-bahn stop.

the hotel from the outside has the feel of an olde-worlde apartment block and the lights in all the common areas are super cool! rooms are incredibly sleek, functional and modern - all white walls, accessorised in purple and pink w silver fittings. it comes w a well-fitted kitchen, containing a microwave, fridge, small cooking range and dishwasher, where you can cook breakfast or quick meals. there is an air-con but you pay per day to use (which we did for a couple of nights due to the extreme heat while we were there) as well as a fan. while the loo (thankfully) has its own room, the sink is the bedroom and the shower up a step, behind a sheet of glass and tile (so not much privacy at all). shower gels, creams etc come in generous/ normal-sized bottles - a welcome relief from the dinky vials we all struggle w in most hotels. wifi is 10 euro per day and works well.

i guess one of the slightly less positive bits about the hotel were the reception staff. while lovely on all the usual hotel business such as leaving bags at reception, picking up key cards, billing etc - they seemed to have some trouble/ be hesitant about making recommendations for places to eat etc that were a bit different or further from the beaten tourist track. in addition, if we had a recommendation, mined from internet research, for a restaurant or cafe (e.g.) that might be a bit further away - they were reluctant w directions and tried to steer us away. so, basically - don't be deterred by their reaction if you really want to go somewhere...:)...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

At our first visit in Berlin we decided to try a new, hip, boutique hotel on the east side. The place is well designed with trendy young atmosphere and cool rooms, too. Our room wasn't that big but rather comfortable with small kitchen, iphone deck (very useful) and decent shower. Breakfast is OK, good and basic. Location is superb, on the Mitte district few minutes walk from all the famous east side bars and clubs, 10 minutes walk from Oranienburger St, and few more to the river.

Room Tip: Buying internet access for a day gives you free breakfast
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Already upon the first booking of this hotel, the hotel charged me twice for the booking, under two different companies. I had to wait until I could get them official documentation from my credit card company until they agreed to return anything, and did not offer any compensation for this mistake. However, as the hotel turned out to be nice during our stay I decided to forget the mistake and enjoy my stay in a hotel with a great location. Then, upon our departure, I agreed to sign an upgrade charge fromm my account, but instead they had charged me for the THIRD time for the full amount of the booking. I did not authorize or sign this transaction and they had simply taken this from my credit card, fully unauthorized. Unfortunately, this kind of treatment is unheard of, and I would not hope this for anyone else that simply tries to plan a carefree vacation in Berlin. Hence, I will be sure to never come back to this hotel again and encourage people to do the same or at least be very very careful with the charges this hotel makes from your credit card.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank EmKaKo
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Nice over stylish, not cheap, great location. Unusual for Berlin. Haven't eaten there so can't tell.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Vinc6666
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed in Lux11 in June 2012 for 4 nights with my husband. We decided to treat ourselves and booked an executive suite at this 4 star hotel. After the trip as we returned home and checked our credit card event, we were stunned. There were two deposits held from our credit card for the sums of 400€ and 29,28€, respectively.

After a week I desided to contact the hotel and ask them if they had made the 400€ deposit. We had payed for the room weeks in advance, so there was no reason for the hotel to hold this deposit. The hotel answered:"I have called our bank immediately in order to release the deposit held of 400EUR, this should be released in your account in the next 48hours. This procedure is efinately not standard, I am sorry this has happened." After a few days I decided to ask them if it was possible that the other deposit held from hte credic card was also theirs. Here's the answer: "I have immediately contacted our bank and checked if there was another deposit held, and indeed there was another deposit held of the amount mentioned. I have requested for it to be released immediately. I am not sure why the other member of staff from the bank didn't see that when I called to request for the release for the 400€."

After these emails I was very angry and confused as to why this all happened. I emailed the hotel and demanded an explanation to these deposits. I have yet not received an answer. This business seems very shady to me. Why would any hotel need to make a deposit of 400€? I understand a deposit of 50€ for possible minibar costs. I suppose the hotel thinks it's feasible and probable for two people to consume 100 minibar items in 4 days (minibar items were priced 4€/each).

I will be going back to Berlin (in a months time actually, since I love the city) but never will I set foot in Lux11 again. I was left feeling like I've been manipulated somehow. What does the hotel do with 400€ for 2 weeks... gamble in stock exchange?

Otherwise my impression of the hotel was mediocre.
Bad bed and pillows: The bed was shaking so much that I woke up every time my husband turned and the pillows had to be folded in three parts to get something under your head.
Very dirty carpet.
Inconvenience about lack of a possibility to wash your hand in the toilet.
Very small tv's (and they both turned to the same channel with one remote, so it wasn't possible to watch to different channels)
Housekeeping kept moving our stuff where they wanted them to be (e.g. our toothbrushes are identical, so we kept them separately but they were moved to one cup, so we nolonger knew which was whose).
But these annoyances were minor and did not manage to get my spirits down in Berlin, since I was there to see the city, not to whine about the hotel room :). But be aware of a possible deposit to your credit card!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple