“lux 11 charging me three times for one room”
Review of Lux 11

Lux 11
Ranked #237 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Helsinki, Finland
“lux 11 charging me three times for one room”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Already upon the first booking of this hotel, the hotel charged me twice for the booking, under two different companies. I had to wait until I could get them official documentation from my credit card company until they agreed to return anything, and did not offer any compensation for this mistake. However, as the hotel turned out to be nice during our stay I decided to forget the mistake and enjoy my stay in a hotel with a great location. Then, upon our departure, I agreed to sign an upgrade charge fromm my account, but instead they had charged me for the THIRD time for the full amount of the booking. I did not authorize or sign this transaction and they had simply taken this from my credit card, fully unauthorized. Unfortunately, this kind of treatment is unheard of, and I would not hope this for anyone else that simply tries to plan a carefree vacation in Berlin. Hence, I will be sure to never come back to this hotel again and encourage people to do the same or at least be very very careful with the charges this hotel makes from your credit card.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank EmKaKo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Nice over stylish, not cheap, great location. Unusual for Berlin. Haven't eaten there so can't tell.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Vinc6666
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed in Lux11 in June 2012 for 4 nights with my husband. We decided to treat ourselves and booked an executive suite at this 4 star hotel. After the trip as we returned home and checked our credit card event, we were stunned. There were two deposits held from our credit card for the sums of 400€ and 29,28€, respectively.

After a week I desided to contact the hotel and ask them if they had made the 400€ deposit. We had payed for the room weeks in advance, so there was no reason for the hotel to hold this deposit. The hotel answered:"I have called our bank immediately in order to release the deposit held of 400EUR, this should be released in your account in the next 48hours. This procedure is efinately not standard, I am sorry this has happened." After a few days I decided to ask them if it was possible that the other deposit held from hte credic card was also theirs. Here's the answer: "I have immediately contacted our bank and checked if there was another deposit held, and indeed there was another deposit held of the amount mentioned. I have requested for it to be released immediately. I am not sure why the other member of staff from the bank didn't see that when I called to request for the release for the 400€."

After these emails I was very angry and confused as to why this all happened. I emailed the hotel and demanded an explanation to these deposits. I have yet not received an answer. This business seems very shady to me. Why would any hotel need to make a deposit of 400€? I understand a deposit of 50€ for possible minibar costs. I suppose the hotel thinks it's feasible and probable for two people to consume 100 minibar items in 4 days (minibar items were priced 4€/each).

I will be going back to Berlin (in a months time actually, since I love the city) but never will I set foot in Lux11 again. I was left feeling like I've been manipulated somehow. What does the hotel do with 400€ for 2 weeks... gamble in stock exchange?

Otherwise my impression of the hotel was mediocre.
Bad bed and pillows: The bed was shaking so much that I woke up every time my husband turned and the pillows had to be folded in three parts to get something under your head.
Very dirty carpet.
Inconvenience about lack of a possibility to wash your hand in the toilet.
Very small tv's (and they both turned to the same channel with one remote, so it wasn't possible to watch to different channels)
Housekeeping kept moving our stuff where they wanted them to be (e.g. our toothbrushes are identical, so we kept them separately but they were moved to one cup, so we nolonger knew which was whose).
But these annoyances were minor and did not manage to get my spirits down in Berlin, since I was there to see the city, not to whine about the hotel room :). But be aware of a possible deposit to your credit card!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank IloveBerlin_Malle
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed July 3, 2012

From the outside the hotel building is just okay but after you entered the room is clean and modern. The hotel is sponsored by adidas, you might noticed from the shoes displayed in the lobby or staff uniform. The room is big, great view and quite environment. Nice place to stay unfortunately the staff is not friendly. The advantage is near to Berlin city attractions, only a walking distance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Paris
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Massively disappointed. We never even got the chance to stay at this hotel. After unsuccessfully trying to reserve a room for two nights on the internet, we eventually contacted the hotel directly (who again asked us to book over the internet...in vain). The telephonic instructions were clear: send an email with your booking request and then we will send a confirmation. At no point was it mentioned during the call or in the actual email response that we needed to provide credit card details.
5 days later, I received a very short email advising me that the booking was 'already cancelled' since I had not provided credit card details (per the instructions on the second page of the PDF confirmation). Immediately I contacted the hotel - openly admitting to not having read the second page - and asking for the room to be re-booked. Apparently that is not possible to do without.....sending an email. However, to my email my request I was sent another curt response that it was impossible to re-book ("We cannot tell all the people on the phone to read the confirmation that is not possible"....super customer friendly!!!!!) and this was their policy. Not sure what this last comment meant.....is a customer blacklisted from booking at this hotel ever again if they miss the deadline for providing credit card details???? I then tried to contact the hotel again.....this time I was told to send through the form with my completed credit card details. As it was a Sunday now and I did not have access to a printer / scanner / fax at home I asked if I could do this on the following day - specifically mentioning my concern about availability. I was told that the rooms were being booked quickly but that I should be able to book on the following day. I tried to get the hotel to make a provisional reservation...but at that time I was told that nothing can be done without the form. Disappointingly but not altogether surprisingly on the Monday we were told that the first night was now fully booked. The management said they were surprised that on the Sunday the hotel had not added a note that we were going to be sending the confirmation the next day (well, so were we!) and on top of that, we also learnt that it would have been possible to VERBALLY provide the credit card details but for 'confidentiality' reasons this is not asked!!
A real pity - we had really been looking forward to staying at this hotel but due to an incredibly old fashioned, badly communicated, unprofessional and complicated booking system this was not possible. Lux-Eleven - just for future, highlight to potential customers that they need to provide credit card details and offer the possibility to do this over the phone.....it will help alot to avoid the disappointment and frustration that we encountered!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KirstenDub
Rochford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Perfect location on a quiet back street. It is a little hidden from view but worth finding. The rooms are very stylish and designed and finished only as the Germans can! Very efficient check and we were able to get into our room 3 hours ahead of time. You cannot hear any noise other than if you open the windows. Staff are more than happy to help but take a back seat most of the time. The train station is one minute away, as is the underground, shopping centres, the TV tower, and lots of other things within walking distance (though be prepared for a gentle walk). After having seen the rest of the city I think this location is great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed here with my boyfriend, upon arrival there had been a problem with the booking, and were upgraded to a much larger room without any argument! Very friendly staff, rooms a minamilist style but very clean! The main thing is the location, very close to alexanderplatz where there are lots of shops and transport links. Despite the central location is very quiet. Overall a bit pricey and the only bad thing is the breakfast which is 14 euros!! We went to oliv which is around the corner, much cheaper for same quality!

• Stayed May 2012