“disappointing”

Ranked #52 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
London
“disappointing”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Read the reviews and things looked promising. What a mistake we made in going here. Leaky ceilings,terrible service,unfriendly personnel...I actually dreaded going back to the cold dark room every night. The only plus would be good location and good breakfasts...but alot of hotels have that.Maybe if we had a room in the front of the building,but that faces a school.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ruth P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
jerusalem
Reviewed October 19, 2012

It's some time since my parents stayed at the Ackselhaus, but i must say neither the disappointment nor the insult have much subsided since. I've booked the hotel for them as we live very near-by and i've seen the hotel many times and it always looked very-very appetizing. My parents are elderly, my father walks very badly, and they came to Berlin for two weeks, so they needed some place that's more than a hotel -- i.e. kitchenette and "living space" in addition to bedroom and also wanted to stay as close as possible to us. I made an appointment and came to see the room they'd be offered in advance, just to make sure it'll meet their (admittedly, and unashamedly, very) high standards. It seemed lovely, although very small/compact, so i went ahead and booked. For two full weeks!
When i booked i asked whether there's a similar room with balcony and as there was one, i asked to book that, being assured it is the same "type" (that'll become critical subsequently).
My parents came and were very disappointed. i couldn't come over the first night but thought it was odd. My mother's descriptions also didn't seem to cohere with what i've seen and thought i booked. The next morning I came and was... well, appalled. It was NOT the room/studio i was shown -- not by a long shot. And it seemed also poorly maintained, with peeling wallpaper, etc. To my mother's complaints, and then mine, there was first a really angry response, then a bit more helpful, but still resentful. Finally, they could only move to the same kind of room, right above the one they received, but better maintained. it was an improvement, but not enough -- the kitchenette is not really useful. The living space is not really a space, the sofa is not really usable, everything is cramped and small and somehow inconvenient.
Finally, my parents got really desperate and as they were offered nothing that was viable (as distinguished from a seemingly lovely flat, third floor with no elevator -- after seeing my father... .that was a bit shocking, i must say. the very cheek of the offer!) they decided to leave three nights in advance and go out of Berlin. We announced this to hotel staff three days in advance[!!!] and they were not only surprised[?!] but appalled. just totally annoyed. they also clarified to my mother that they will be required to pay for the entire pre-booked period regardless of early notice, not to mention their evident, on-going and well-known dissatisfaction/unhappiness with/in hotel. There followed several talks, very bitter, very vindictive, with several very unhelpful staff members at the end of which we asked to talk to manager/owner and told they were not there, nor could be gotten hold of -- although it seemed pretty clear they were there, even present some of the time... Finally, we were told charge for three last nights would be waived if -- and only if -- the rooms would be "sold" to other guests. We were terribly, desperately angry and we said so, we also said how very disappointing the whole experience was, and finally, i wrote to complain to the site through which i booked the hotel. Ten days after my parents' departure, we received a courteous mail from the hotel with not one word of acknowledgement, let alone apology -- only to say the room was after all "sold" so charge was waived. That's it.
Other than this story, we found hotel to be very-very mediocre. somehow all posh and glitz, no substance: most of the day -- my father was there on/off most of the day, most days -- it felt rather deserted, staff was extremely impersonal and unhelpful, room/studio was extremely small and airless. A/C is nothing of the kind -- but rather some movable device which felt more like a ventilator, and maintenance is at best reasonable.
As my father did need the elevator to get to their second floor studio, we were also appalled to find it was used rather too frequently by cleaners and maintenance and so was unavailable far too frequently for guests use.
So finally, there remains the location, which really is excellent if you want Prenzlauerberg and nothing else (as my parents did). But that's SO not enough!! and there is so much, and so much of better value in area.

Room Tip: if you are taking the lower-tier rooms/studios, make sure you're given the one's to the side...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nsusn
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I ended 10 days in Germany with two nights in Ackselhaus. I had spent another 5 nights in former West Berlin, and two nights in Dresden, and wanted some contrast so I chose to stay in Prenzlauer Berg to experience a different neighborhood. For location, it's excellent. There are more incredible restaurants so nearby that I'd need to stay a month to try them all. And it was so easy to get to Museum Island and other sights in that part of the city.

My room was on the 5th floor, so that required the elevator to the 4th floor, then walking up a flight of stairs with luggage to the room. I had the golf-themed room, which was more masculine than my tastes but it was tastefully decorated. I wish now I had requested a particular room as they were portrayed on the website. The room was spacious, the bed was large and the bathroom good sized. Everything was very clean. The room had hardwood floors, so it made it a bit creaky. I also heard a good deal of comings and goings from other guests, as the outdoors doors and floors are creaky too. I loved having sofas and a table to use though. Free wifi was great as well.

There was some street noise as there was a pub or something nearby that lent itself to rowdy passersby, so closed the window both nights to sleep.

I am not a fan of having to go outside and down the street for breakfast, that was just a minor inconvenience. The offerings were excellent though and the staff was very friendly.

There seems to be some confusion about whether credit cards are accepted or not both here on TA and at the hotel itself. I initially declined the reservation when told it was cash-only, but the manager reversed that decision via email to me, so I accepted. On check-out, the desk staff needed to be told that the manager said credit card was ok, and after some difficulty, the credit card charge was processed (not Visa though, only MC). I would suggest ironing out that policy one way or the other.

Ultimately, I'm not sure whether this was good value for the price for me. While I loved the location and the restaurants nearby, I stayed in two other hotels with lower rates and better over value that same week.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank amybatt
madison, wi
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed for three nights in the Blue House and everything was top notch. The staff was friendly and always willing to help. The rooms were clean, spacious and eclectically decorated. The location is great with many shops, restaurants, transportation w/in easy walking distance. The garden in the middle is a cozy place to relax and breakfast, (included with the room is served in the cafe on the property itself) was well done with a variety of foods on the buffet to choose from. The only thing to watch for: we were given the impression that credit cards were not permitted and that we would have to pay cash for our room...this is not true, they do accept major credit cards. We would highly recommend this boutique hotel and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights and totally enjoyed this hotel. It's very cosy and nicely maintained with a lovely garden in the centre for guests to relax after a long day out in Berlin. Rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious - we booked late and got one of the smallest but were very happy with it. Value was great and breakfast (included) was delicious and nicely laid out (though mainly continental with some warm boiled eggs). The service was great (although more like serviced appt. than hotel style) and there were thoughtful touches like a covered plate of small pastries in the garden in
the afternoons and little blankets. I spent a nice afternoon on the terrace daybed after a long day out. We will be back - hopefully for longer and maybe this time the African room...

• Stayed September 2012
Florence, Italy
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I had been to Ackselhaus before and I have always longed to come back. It cannot be defined as a Hotel, since the rooms are apartments in a block of building in Prenzlauer Berg, which is one of my favourite areas in Berlin.
You really feel at home and the furniture is creative and not standard. Every room is different.
The breakfast is one of the best and most pleasant I have ever had anywhere.
Rooms are clean and well equipped and most rooms have a small kitchen if you wish to dine in the apartment.
When you exit in the street you can hear your footsteps and Ackselhaus is just a few meters from a tramway to Alexanderplats, that is easy to reach on foot anyway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed there the last few days of our 16 day vacation and it was like a home away from home...a really fabulous, chic home.
Its like being in a photo shoot for Elle decor magazine! Amazing, comfortable luxury. Must go...we had the Afrika suite. Lovely and amazing giant tub with chromotherapy and a huge flat screen TV...try the bubble baths.
Great location too! lots of wonderful trendy bars and restaurants in walking distance.
Right on the tram line, so easy...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple