“Very good accommodation - avoid the breakfast”

ibis budget Berlin City Potsdamer Platz
Ranked #139 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed in the Ibis Budget City Potsdamer Platz for 4 nights during a very cold March. I was at the end of a trip through other parts of Europe so I was a bit weary. However, the room I had was really clean and warm. It was a bit clinical looking with 2 single beds but I liked the different lighting options. The shower was nice but you really would need to know people well to share the room.

The check in was fine - the man who checked me was a bit flustered but it was okay. You don't get a key, you get a key code and this is great as you can come and go without having to hand your key in. The code stopped working one day as the computers had a problem but it was sorted quickly. Cleaning was great. The breakfast area is really well done, wonderfully colourful! There are two dispensing machines - offering hot drinks and soups and beer, cold drinks and snacks. You are really near to everything and there are shops and a Lidl really near.

My only complaint would be the breakfast. I was 7.50 euro a day and I paid for it for 4 days but it is really basic - not worth it at all. Great accommodation, funky layout, friendly enough staff - avoid the breakfast

Room Tip: Just don't order the breakfast
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jo P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,663)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Like: Several minutes walk to Brandenburger Tor and the Jüdisches Museum. Friendly Dislike: staff. Room floors are wood while I prefered carpet. The double bed is actually two single beds put together.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had a pleasant stay for a week in Mars. The hotel was clean, quiet and tidy. The check in was effective. I have previously been a little disappointed of the Wlan in the upper floors. This time I stayed at a lower floor and had a very stable connection.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Nice clean rooms, with all basic facilities. Breakfast has good options. Located close to a metro station, and pretty close to Checkpoint Charlie and Topography of Terror. Most of the services offered are as per Ibis standards. Would recommend for budget travelers.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank starmayank
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have just returned from a three night stay, and can highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a central location, clean room and decent breakfast.

The rooms were modern and simple in design, we had three sharing our room, which consisted of one double and an over head bunk. We all had a sound nights sleep, so no complaints there! However for three sharing space for our things was extremely limited. There was a pole with five hangers, and a desk which was all we had! Therefore we kept the majority of things in our suitcases which took up room, and was quite impractical. If we had stayed any longer this could have become an issue.

The shower was lovely, powerful and hot - perfect. only annoyance here was that as it was a cubicle built into the room there was no place to hang/ put your towels ready for when you had finished, which at times proved difficult. Then due to lack of space you needed to be inventive as to where you could hang your wet towel. However if you are travelling by yourself none of this would be much of an issue.

The staff were extremely friendly, especially as we didn't arrive until 11:45pm, they checked us in straight away and recommended a restaurant that we could eat in. The Ambassador I believe, the guy on check in phoned the restaurant and reserved us a table, so the restaurant knew to expect us.

Overall this hotel was brilliant, a few niggles but for what we wanted it served its purpose.

thank you very much Ibis!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at the Ibis Budget Berlin City Potsdamer Platz during a week while I attended a trade show at the beginning of February. The value for money is really good, an excellent location, quite central in Berlin, very well connected to public transportation by the S Bahn station which is half a block away from the hotel.
The rooms are clean but very basic, as I described the decor to a friend, it is a very plain Ikea style furnishing, with a TV and small desk, a structure to hang your clothes.
The only downside for me was the complimentary wifi connection as it sometimes was slow, and it took some time to get connected and online.
Breakfast is not included in the room rate, and they offer a very basic continental breakfast option for Euros 8 I believe.
What I did was have breakfast next door at the Ibis for Euro 10. with a selection of fruit, hot items and cheese and bread among others.
This hotel is very close to the Potsdamer Arcade shopping area and many of the Berlin Film Festival activities took place in that area.
I will definitely stay here again if I visit Berlin for work or tourism.
Front desk staff is very friendly and helpful with directions , etc.
A taxi is about 20 Euros from the hotel to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business