“Great breakfast; no connectivity”

Maritim Hotel Berlin
Ranked #120 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at the Maritim with a large group (around 120 people) on a business trip.

The good part: The hotel was clean, the breakfast buffet was wonderful, and the location was convenient to the Philharmonie.

The bad part: The Maritim doesn't have its own internet service; you have to buy it from Telekom. I paid 4.95 euros for an hour of connection time. Out of that, I got about 8 minutes, 30 to 60 seconds at a time. I was constantly cut off and having to reconnect. It was incredibly frustrating.

I complained several times to the staff, and got absolutely no satisfaction; they just told me to complain to Telekom. They also referred me to the "business center," which has one free computer for about 1,000 rooms.

The regular telephone service is also a joke. Wake-up calls didn't go through. One of our group didn't even get a dial tone; someone came and picked up the phone in his room when he went to the front desk to complain about it, but he didn't replace it.

Oh, and as for complaining to Telekom: Good luck with that. I couldn't use my cell phone in Germany, and since I couldn't connect online, there was no way to complain. I've just wasted most of an afternoon trying to get contact information for a refund here in the United States. But T-Mobile won't talk to you if you don't have a phone, and the people on the chat line just tell you to "return to the store where you bought the internet access." (I'll be chatting with Visa about denying the charge instead.)

The place is also spread out. According to my pedometer, I walked exactly one quarter-mile from my room to my breakfast table, after going through the buffet, before I'd been anyplace else. If you do stay at the Maritim, make sure you don't forget anything in your room, because it will cost you a serious hike to walk back and get it.

Room Tip: Ask to be close to the elevator if you'd prefer not to wear out your shoes walking to your room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank BryanMSTL
Management_BER, Manager at Maritim Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for visiting us and giving your review here at Trip Advisor. We were pleased about your positive comments regarding the location and the breakfast buffet.

Unfortunately we could not meet your expectations and you had cause for complaint of some circumstances. This we regret.

Your anger regarding the internet connection we can understand. The Telekom is the leading Internet provider in Germany and we beg for your understanding that we had to decide for one provider to make the WLAN-service available at our hotel. In fact we have no influence on the functionality of the compound and we have no possibility to help our guests if they have problems with the connection. The only way to help is to give our guests the service number of the Telekom. We have not heard before from other guests of such problems you described. We apologize formally for all trouble caused.

Furthermore we are very sorry that your room was located far away from the lifts. Due to construction and size of our hotel some rooms are actually far away from the lifts. Unfortunately we cannot change this fact, so we can only emphasize your tip to ask for a room close to the elevator.

Once more we would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused and we hope that you maybe will give us a chance to revise your negative impressions, by visiting us again occasionally.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed two nights on a guided tour. Comfortable very large four star hotel but the TV had a poor choice of channels and really should have been in a museum. IT suffered from two common German problems viz no tea and coffee facilities and paid for internet. It is not the fact that you have to pay but the cost. I can internet at home for a month for what they bwant for one day

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EGD44
Management_BER, Manager at Maritim Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your visit and for giving your feedback here.

As mentioned in other responses here before, the purchase of new televisions is in progress, but it needs some time to prepare the changeover for a hotel of our size.
Due to space and for safety reasons kettles for making tea and coffee are not part of the standard equipment of our rooms but they are of course available for our guests on request at our Reception anytime.

Concerning the internet costs, we like to inform you, that there are two ways to use the internet in our hotel. Customers who prefer WLAN, dial in to the German Telecom. If they are already Telecom customers they use whose service on their own flatrate. In this case no additional fees incurred. Customers who have a contract with another provider have to pay for this service directly to the Telecom. We beg for your understanding that we had to decide for one provider to make this service available at our hotel. Alternatively we offer a wired access in the room. 60 minutes, freely distributed on the day, costs EUR 8.00 and 24 hours EUR 15.00. We have adjusted our pricing to the overall market environment, but put this regularly to the test.

We regret that we could not completely convince you of our hotel, but hope nevertheless you will visit us again someday.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in every way! The rooms are lovely with large bathrooms and spacious sitting areas. The service is impeccable. The breakfast is fantastic if you don't mind paying 25 Euros. The only problem with the hotel is its location. It is quite a walk to attractions and transportation.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for your visit and your positive review here at Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and services.

Since you were not satisfied with the location of our hotel, we can recommend for your next stay our sister hotel MARITIM proArte. This is an art and design hotel directly located at the Friedrichstraße between the Brandenburger Gate and Gendarmenmarkt with many shops, restaurants and sights nearby.

We hope that we can welcome you back in one of our Maritim Hotels if your travels brings you to Berlin.

Kindest regards

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We have very mixed experience of the hotel. On the positive side, the rooms and large and have nice furniture. The hotel is close to the art galleries and to the Tiergarten. The breakfasts are by far the best we ever experienced. They have a fantastic variety of food which is delicious. They even have champagne for breakfast! The hotel pool is very good. It is certainly possible to have a good swim and relaxation. The bar is very pleasant though expensive.

Unfortunately we have some significant problems in the hotel. We were two adults and one teenage child. We'd booked a classic double room with an extra bed for the child. When we arrived we were put in a room which is some kind of office or executive suite. At first we thought they were no beds in the room but we realised that they pulled down from the wall like in a tiny New York apartment. The two single beds were fixed to the wall and not able to be put together so not taught suitable for a couple. The mattresses on the bed were very poor indeed. They were thin and very uncomfortable. If this were a cheap hostel or military base one would expect that quality but for a four-star hotel it was completely unacceptable. When I complained to the hotel staff, they told me that the room we have been given was the only one which could be used also with an extra bed for a child. They told me that we had no choice. We did not want to waste our brief holiday checking out and searching for a new hotel, so we accepted the situation.

My girlfriend had such uncomfortable nights on the bed causing a back spasm causing a great deal of pain and spoiling 2 days of the holiday. When I asked to move room and to have proper beds, the staff told me there was no alternative. They only took me seriously when I mentioned in passing an incident in the pool in which I was kicked and scratched.(below) Then they moved us into a proper room with proper beds- after 2 days and 2 sleepless nights.

The room service was very patchy. One day we had no service to the room and staff lied by placing a "do not disturb sign" outside the door pretending that we placed it there. There were no towels or robes in the room and we had to ask for them. The beds were not made up and we had to ask for that. One morning room service woke us at 7:30- after just getting to sleep thanks to the bad mattresses.

The pool is fantastic for a hotel pool. You can actually swim there. Unfortunately there was a group of 25 American children there who were out of control and undisciplined by their teachers. The 8 teenage boys were wrestling and fighting in the pool, causing great distress to the other swimmers. I got kicked in the balls by one boy fighting and scratched across the abdomen by another. I asked the front desk to speak to the teachers to properly supervise the teenagers but they refused to do so.

The hotel is probably good for a conference but I wouldn't recommend it as a tourist. It's close to the Tiergarten and the Art galleries but everything else is quite distant.

The problems which arose were solvable but the desk staff, whilst superficially polite, did not seem to care and were dismissive of the problems above.

Under better management, this hotel has a great physical structure and reasonable location.

Room Tip: YOU MUST make sure that you get a room with proper beds and proper mattresses. Do not let the staff...
1  Thank Nomad_UBH

Dear guest,

Thank you for visiting us and giving your detailed feedback at Trip Advisor. We were pleased about your positive comments to the rooms, the breakfast and the pool.

The more we regret your negative experiences. Of course we remember you, because you have informed us about your problems with the room during your stay. You stayed in one of our conference suites. These rooms have folding beds. So the suites can be provided, as needed, also for conferences. When you informed us about your problems, we moved you to another room and gave you a special treatment as an apology. Furthermore our Front Office Manager spoke with you about your complaint. We are very sorry that we were apparently not successful in restoring your satisfaction.

We would like to apologise formally again for the inconvenience caused and hope that you maybe give us a second chance and visit us again occasionally.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I just got back from a seven night stay at this hotel. From the moment I arrived, I was impressed. The girl at the desk that checked me in was very nice. I asked for a "quiet" non-smoking room and that's exactly what I got. I was also given a map of Berlin, which was nice since it was the first time I'd ever been to Berlin and I didn't know my way around. My room had a king size bed and was very clean and had a nice view.

My only complaints would be that the tube television seemed a little dated, considering we're living in the flat-screen age. Also, considering so many English-speaking people stay at this hotel, it would be nice to have more than two channels in English. Another downside would be what many other people have already written: It is a looooong way from the U-Bahn station; 10 minutes if you walk really fast and 15 minutes if you just walk normally. In cooler weather this wouldn't have been a big deal, but when it's hot outside it's easy to break a sweat walking that far away. But I knew beforehand to expect a long walk, so it wasn't a surprise. The last downside would be that housekeeping seemed to be really stingy with the soap. I was given one tiny bar of soap that I had to use for both washing my hands at the sink and to shower with. They could at least have given two bars of soap so that I could have one for the sink and one for the shower.

Other than that though, it was a very nice hotel! I really enjoyed my stay and I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tiffany823
Management_BER, Manager at Maritim Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear guest,

It was a pleasure for us to read your feedback regarding your long stay at our hotel and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.

We understand your complaints about the TV screen and program. As mentioned before, here at Trip Advisor, an improvement of our TV offer is planned for the near future.
We are very sorry, that you did not get enough soap from our room maids. Of course we forwarded your hint to our Executive Housekeeper to avoid recurrences. Please accept our apology for these shortcomings.

We hope, we can welcome you back as a guest in our hotel for any future visits.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in August 2012. We were very happy with the standard of room provided. Beds very comfortable indeed. It took 15 to 20 minutes walk to the tourist attractions such as the Brandenburg Gate. Best option is to take a bus "Hop on and Off" tour from the Zoo station (about 15 minutes walk) cost 10 euro per person. We did not eat here as breakfast is 25 euro per person and for children is priced as the number of years old they are in our case 16 and 12. We found a wonderful bakery across from the Zoo station and all ate for 20 euro! Our children were very happy with the pool in the hotel and felt very welcome there. Next time we visit we will however stay nearer to the centre.

Room Tip: Rooms facing to back of hotel are quieter as front is facing on to a building site at present
1  Thank VeryHappyFamily71
Management_BER, Manager at Maritim Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear guests,

Thank you for visiting us and taking the time for an evaluation of our hotel. We are pleased that you were satisfied with the room. Unfortunately we could not meet your expectations regarding the location of our hotel and the breakfast. This we regret.

Nevertheless we hope that we can maybe welcome you back someday as guests!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We just came back (last night) from a 5day-4 night stay in Berlin. What can we say. We loved loved loved the hotel! My hubby and I went with a 11-month old baby and they provided us a free travel cot for our baby. They also joined our beds upon request with a cover on top such that one doesn't fall in between the beds.

The best part for us is that we paid about 70€ per night cos there was a 4 nights-for-the-price-of-3 offer. We drove there so garage cost 22€/ night, which in total amounted to 400€ for 4 nights which I consider a very good price for this hotel.

Our air-conditioning was great, it was v. quiet and the curtains shut out light pretty well so we could sleep longer in the day. Cocktails at Le Bar was superb!!! Try the strawberry Daiquiri - they do room service too, cos our baby was fussy one night. Swimming pool was a bit small but it was fine cos we just wanted a dip.

Berlin obviously is GORGEOUS. We wanted to extend our stay one more night but hotel was fully-booked (with 500 rooms!!!!).

I would definitely stay there again. I'm not sure if its gonna be worth it if we didn't have the special offer (we paid 70€/night instead of the usual 100€), but chances are there would be other promotional room prices.

Distance-wise, it IS quite a walk from hotel to Posdame train station, but people walk everywhere in Berlin anyways. :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Management_BER, Manager at Maritim Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear guests,

…and we loved your very kind review! ;-) Thank you so much for that. Certainly we will offer promotional prices from time to time on various distribution channels also in the future and so we hope to see you again soon in Berlin and our hotel.

Sincerely yours,