“Basic but good location for budget travellers!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hotel Pension Insor
Ranked #140 of 187 Berlin B&B and Inns
England, United Kingdom
“Basic but good location for budget travellers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a good place to stay on a budget. The place was clean and pretty central, only a few stops from Alexanderplatz. There are plenty of bars and places to eat within walking distance in the district of Friedrichshain.

We were give our key and reception seemed to close pretty early so it's basically like having your own place. There was a TV, clean bedding and towels. The shower/toilet was shared and kept clean. I'd definitely recommend if you just want somewhere to sleep and shower.

We stayed 3 nights for €126 between us (€63 each) ... Can't complain for that price.

The staff don't speak any English but you only really meet them upon arrival and departure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

• Polish first
Copenhagen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

This hotel/pension WAY exceeds it's reviews. I recommed Insor, a cheap and very good choise if you're on a budget, and like to be among the locals.
The place is well situated in the relaxed and affordable Friedrischain area of Berlin. Not trendy or city, but cosy and very friendly, with lots of shops and a great variety of food. Easy access by metro just a 3 minute walk away. Close to Prenzlauerberg & Kreuzberg accessable by tram.
We had a very large and well equipped room, tv, fridge, hairdryer, comfy bed and lots of storage space. Toilets & baths was just accross the hallway. Both our room and bathrooms were clean and welcoming.
Very good value for money! Will definately visit again.
Couldn't get the hot water tap in the room to work.. but actually didn't bother to ask the staff.
My only little complaint is my pillow that smelled too much of sweaty man. Sorry! but the truth will out.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Camilama
canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

The Staff are extremely rude and the smell coming from this place is terrible. It made me sick for days. I think their were rats here and I would avoid this place at all costs. Cancel your bookings while you can.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Düsseldorf
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2009

My husband and I (27 & 28) stayed at the "hotel" Insor for four nights and I have never been in such a sleazy place bevor. The photos on the Insor homepage are totally misleading, and have nothing in common with the real rooms. The rooms lay ground floor directly facing the bustling street, some are facing the courtyard (as was ours) and big garbage bins (smelly, so we couldn't open the window). Our double room was wholly unacceptable. It was ragged and we shared it with six huge spiders and a lot of cobwebs. The bedclothes were doubtfull and the towels stank so heavy that we couldn't use them. The washbasin was not cleaned properly and dirty aswell.
The bathroom facilities are on the corridor and were in a very bad condition, too. There are two bathrooms for five rooms with at least 11 guests (or even more, as I couldn't figure out the room size of all rooms). The smaller bathroom consists of a washbasin, a shower and a toilet, he bigger bathroom of two washbasins, two showers and one toilet. The bathrooms were poorly cleaned and one of the toilet flushs didn't work properly. The main problem with the bathrooms is, that the shower is not in a separated part of the bathroom, but directly facing the door. Because of this reason everybody locks the door while showering. The problem is obvious. You cannot use the toilet, while somebody else is using the bathroom. This did not only happen once to us and is really annoying as there are no separate toilets in the "hotel" . Two showers and two toilets are definitely not enough for five rooms with at least eleven guests.
To come to the staff: We met three different people, and they were all very unfriendly and not in the least helpful. The room was not cleaned once during our stay, not even the garbage was emptied. One last thing: Because of the curfew the "hotel" closes somewhen in the evenings, but you can enter the place trough a side-door. This side-entrance was unlockable and open all day and night, so everyone could have entered without beeing noticed. I didn't feel save in this place nor comfortable. Insor is definitely not a hotel, but a (very low) low-budget hostel (or even worse). It is comparatively cheap, but you get what you pay and I can't recommend Insor in any way.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MissLilli
Copenhagen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

We booked three nights at Insor through Hotels.com sending my creditcard info to Insor.

Since we missed the ferry from Denmark we were going to be arriving late in berlin, so we called Insor and told them this. They told us, that they would leave our key in the restaurant on the other side of the street. When we arrived to Berlin at 01:30 am, the restaurant was closed and so was Insot. We called the guy we talked to ealier, but he couldn't let us in since our key was in the restaurant. he told us to find another hotel for the night and come back the next day.

I called him the next day to cancel our room, since we where pretty unsatisfied with the service. He would not let us cancel and in the end he hung up on me. When I got home, the money for the stay had been withdrawn from my creditcard. Even though i never even got into the hotel.

Please note that they apparentley have a curfew, even if this was not noted on Hotels.com.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank larsefx
Moscow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

The management of the hotel does not give full information about the conditions in the hotel. For example they keep silent that rooms have no own bathroom. In really there is common bathroom for three rooms.
The place for breakfast is in the small lobby, between the door and porter bar. There is no kitchen at the hotel, and they offer just cold meal in the box. And these boxes were on the floor in the lobby.
Bed-clothes were very strange, almost doubtful. May be because of drying in the dark narrow corridor.
I think it should be more right to say that Insor is a hostel but not a hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
East Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

I must say that I did NOT stay in this hotel, but here is my experience.

The website lists it as a HOTEL (not a hostel) and I was booking this for an elder couple. I made the reservation through the hotel website (which does not mention cancellation fees AT ALL, but I had found, through other hotel booking websites that the "hotel's cancellation policy" was that if you canceled up to 6 days before the travel, your cancellation was free of charge).

So, when I get the confirmation it turns out the room has no bathroom. So it's not quite a hotel but a hostel. As soon as I found out, I emailed them to please cancel the reservation (this all was at least 3 weeks before the actual planned travel). Not only they emailed me to tell me that I had to pay the full 4 nights stay (even though I was canceling way in advance), when I told them that according to other websites it said that it was free of charge, they threatened to contact their lawyers and told me that the cancellation policy was not valid when booking directly through the hotel (which really is poor -- so basically they can change their policies as they please).

It does have a good location, but I would rather stay in a place that doesn't threaten to call its lawyers when you cancel a reservation within the right period of time and also, a hotel that is true to its policies.

• Stayed May 2008