Zarenhof Berlin Mitte
$439
$297
$289
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbus and trainheat wavenice hotelbreakfast is servedlocation is greatreception staffluggageeur
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband, teenager and I just returned from our Eastern European trip and stayed at the Zarenhof during a heat wave. We were in "Apt. 3" room type which didn't look like the pictures associated with this room type. The pictures make the room look quite large but it was fairly standard. The bathroom was clean, very tiny and the shower was small and somewhat difficult to get in and out of. There was no AC in the room, which was on the top floor and very hot. The hotel didn't have any fans (we asked twice and were told we would be brought one) or they could not find any. The portion of the hotel we were in didn't look luxurious with gold trim, but looked dark and needed some upgrades (we looked out on the interior courtyard). The location is great and the Prenzlauerberg neighborhood has great restaurants and cafes. The breakfast buffet was the best of our trip, and the people who run the hotel are very nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I promised myself to write a review for this hotel after I have been to Berlin. Even though it took me a couple of month, here it is.
I had such a pleasant experience at the Zarenhof. I booked the hotel online way in advance and got a great deal. Only after staying there I realised what a lucky pick this was. Not only have I received great value for money but also picked a hotel with a great location. The area of Prenzlauer Berg developed into one of the most trendiest neighbourhoods in Berlin. There was Kastanienallee with lots of individual shops just around the corner, as well as the flea market at the Mauerpark. The hotel is only two stops away from Alexanderplatz on the underground (Eberswalder Strasse) and therefore perfectly located.
We arrived relatively late at night from London and there was nobody at the reception desk. There was a first shock but after a couple of minutes we were greeted by the friendly receptionist.
The room itself was small but clean and tidy. The bathroom was very light and modern. It fitted our needs and we felt very comfortable. As our room rate included buffet breakfast we made sure to enjoy it every day. It was fantastic. It was a mixture of German and Russian breakfast options. There was a wide variety to choose from. The hotel even hired a harp player for the guests to enjoy their calm morning hours even more. The staff was friendly and forthcoming.
If I would go to Berlin again, this would be my first choice to stay. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TobWeb
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel is located in a very nice residential neighbourhood of Berlin with tree-lined streets. My room was unfortunately dark, because it looked out onto an interior courtyard but was otherwise comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out onto the street. The ´interior´ rooms are too dark.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel was very clean and in an excellent location - walking distance to the Museum Insel and very close to all the restaurants on Oranienburgerstrasse. Be warned, the single beds are tiny. Reception staff are friendly - note that reception is only open from 7 am - midnight. I found my room on the ground floor noisy, so I would recommend wearing ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Even I stayed at Zarenhof for business, because the visited company is closed by, I may recommend it especially for travelers bound to explore Berlin Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg. Everything can be made by feet.
The hotel deploys the charm of pre-soviet russia. It comes across a little bit naive and amateur-like, but quite authentic and therefore intrigue. It is very different, which separates it from the usual big players. This and the nice people made my stays unforgettable. I shall return if I am in central town again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business