“Nice family room for three, excellent value for money”

Novotel Suites Berlin City Potsdamer Platz
Ranked #124 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice family room for three, excellent value for money”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We travelled with our 1-year old daughter and enjoyed the spacious 30 sqm room that even had a partition cutain between the queen-size bed and the third bed, a full bed that could also be used as a sofa. The hotel was only recently built and therefore is very modern and tidy. The room layout is very well thought through (e.g. shower AND bath tub in the bathroom) and the room has a fridge, microwave, electric kettle to boil water. Breakfast is extra, but there is also an espresso machine and free muffins by the reception at breakfast time. The S-Bahn Station Anhalter Bahnhof is just across the street nad Potsdamer Platz, Brandenburger Tor or Checkpoint Charlie are within a ten-minute walking distance, making this hotel an ideal starting point for city excursions. Excellent room rates if you book online well in advance over the Accor website or other e-booking websites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were quite satisfied with the hotel, its standards an cleanliness.

However, we desperately needed internet in our rooms, and the internet was available but extremely slow and inconsistent.

During our stay we seriously considered moving to another hotel because of this issue.

Regards,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Iowa
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Suite Novotel worked perfect for our family of 4. We had a family room which had a double bed and 2 singles. One of the singles was a trundle bed that came out from under the double. This worked great for our 3 year old since it was close to the floor. The location is excellent. We were able to walk to Checkpoint Charlie and the Brandenburg gate. There's also plenty of public transportation in the area. We didn't eat at the hotel, but did buy a few drinks to take back to the room and the staff was very helpful.
If your kids get tired of siteseeing like ours did, go to the Lego Discovery Center at the Sony Center for a couple hours of fun! (maybe a 10 minute walk) We also had lunch and a movie there!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have been staying in a hotel room for 6 weeks as part of an art residency in the north of Germany. I decided to visit Berlin at the end of my trip and booked a room here being familiar with the company´s Sofitel brand. I wanted a simple suite with a small kitchen so that I could eat something besides restaurant food and have a little more than just one little room for a few days before heading on. But I get to the hotel and they tell me rather too cutely that they have good news and bad news for me. No, it´s all bad news. I don´t care where you put me, if I reserve a room, I want THAT Room. Traveling alone as a woman, I want to know when I get where I am going, I am where I told my husband I would be in case of something crazy. This is just a bad policy. I am hoping to be moved back to this hotel tomorrow, but I will never book another Accor hotel again. Perhaps I can update then as to the amenities and service, but at this point, it is colored by a very bad business policy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank denisetheartist
Bern
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Hotel has come to age and a renovation is hopefully in planning. The location "Potsdamer Platz" implies it is located at the Potsdamer Platz. Well, it is not. In Summer this may be a nice walk, on a cold winter day it is too far.....
The price is, as in Berlin not unusual, rather attractive. So be prepared to find lots of families, young people and even groups of children in the Hotel. At least on a weekend as we stayed there.
The shelves in the room, at least in the one we stayed, are now free of dust. However, one would expect to find them clean when entering the room. On the good side: Bathroom and toilet are perfect ! The room spacious and the bed of good quality and also this: Very clean ! If they manage to clean the shelves, they are up for a top rating ;-)
The restaurant in the next door "Ibis" impressed us: The design is nice and the service is very very friendly and made us visit it more than once. The people from Berlin are some of the most friendly and helpful persons !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed March 17, 2013

First off I have to say this hotel was not chosen by me, but my husband's company. The first impression was terrible, as I called in to extend our stay for another day beforehand, and not only this reservation wasn't done, there was also no apology or any kind of explanation for it, the staff member (a middle aged man) was quite brazen, but he told us that he'd be reserving the room for us right there. The rest of the staff, especially a younger male and a young female was friendly and helpful during our stay. Unfortunately when asked about the reservation which had been done at site 2 days before, it still wasn't showing up in the system, we're lucky it wasn't busy season, or we might have ended up on the street.

The rooms were moderately clean, the bed was small but comfortable, the pillows were awful. If you are used to a good pillow, bring your own. The whole decoration looked quite old fashioned and some parts of it showed a lot of wear, the rubber tabletop, a huge stain on the carpet (looked like vomit...) and the worst part was the odor that came from the sink in the bath/shower area, this was the unmistakable smell of something dead that filled the room every-time you turned on the tap. I mentioned it to the staff, but I doubt I was the first guest to notice it, it was quite strong. If it hadn't been for the stains and odor the room would have gotten a 4 star from me despite being old, it was quite cozy. For the prices they charge, they should be maintaining the rooms better, and sack the rude and downright incompetent staff-member. Conclusion, there are much better hotels at better prices.

Room Tip: If you like a nice clean room, don't bother with this one.